Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by betonic
The more I research the more confused I get, so I’m sorry if this is a silly question.

A route I need is better serviced by Alaska. If I book a First class ticket that’s $800 and 3400 miles round trip. How many of the new loyalty points will I earn as an ExPat? Does it benefit me to spend the same money for an inconvenient route on AA metal?

Thanks in advance
By my rough calculation, on AA you will get >8000 LPs. On AS you will get <7000. The choice will depend on how much you value the extra >1000 LPs vs. the extra inconvenience.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
Thank you so much.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

All that said...please make sure you are searching ExpertFlyer correctly. For SYD-LAX-JFK I'd be shocked if the flights were actually C7. I suspect you're searching just SYD-JFK as opposed to SYD-LAX + LAX-JFK. You must search segment by segment to see the true upgrade space, this is in big red text at the top of the EF Award and Upgrade search page for AA. Any C7's you may see searching SYD-JFK is bogus, false positives.
Thanks very much for this, you were right. I was not searching correctly and there is actually C0 showing.

Do you know whether AA typically releases C space closer in? I'm looking at January 6th, so we're 11-12 days out now...
Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wwrjb
Thanks very much for this, you were right. I was not searching correctly and there is actually C0 showing.

Do you know whether AA typically releases C space closer in? I'm looking at January 6th, so we're 11-12 days out now...
Definitely, its standard AA protocol to start releasing C space around T-36 to T-24 hours out from the flight.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
I am not sure where this question belongs and since I am "new" this seemed like the perfect thread for it. I currently have an EQD waiver from spend with my Amex Executive card. Are they extending the EQD waiver through the end of Feb 22 with the rest of the "double dip"? I couldn't find anything through Citi or Aadvantage other than to "qualify through end of January 22".
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by EncFlyer
I am not sure where this question belongs and since I am "new" this seemed like the perfect thread for it. I currently have an EQD waiver from spend with my Amex Executive card. Are they extending the EQD waiver through the end of Feb 22 with the rest of the "double dip"? I couldn't find anything through Citi or Aadvantage other than to "qualify through end of January 22".
No.

If you spend $30,000 on purchases with an eligible AAdvantage® credit card in 2021 that post to your AAdvantage® account between January 1, 2021 and January 31, 2022, we’ll waive the Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) requirement to qualify for AAdvantage® Gold, Platinum or Platinum Pro.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:05 pm

Travel credit for cancellations?

Hi all - I am new to AA tickets (usually only book european airlines transatlantic)
However, for the coming summer, AA has som every good I class fares transatlantic from CPH to most US cities.
  • Tickets must be issued 180 days prior to travel.
  • Tickets are non-refundable
My question is, if I voluntary cancel the reservation: Will AA issue a travel credit on the amount, or will the amount be lost.
I recall United have done this in the past, so just wondering if AA does the same...

Thanks very much
HJ
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
My question is, if I voluntary cancel the reservation: Will AA issue a travel credit on the amount, or will the amount be lost.
I recall United have done this in the past, so just wondering if AA does the same...
As long as it's not a "Basic Economy" fare (ultra-cheap), then yes, you get a trip credit.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
As long as it's not a "Basic Economy" fare (ultra-cheap), then yes, you get a trip credit.
AA basic economy fares originating outside of North and South America are eligible for changes fee free (obviously fare difference applies) except those originating in Asia. Tickets must have been purchased after April 1st 21
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Hey, I have two newby questions:

1- Flying from EZE to CDG via JFK.. will bags go all the way to CDG since its an international transit? I have a 12hr stopover in NYC and was planning on going to Manhattan but I really wouldn't want to bring my luggage.

2- France is now asking a PCR/Antigen test 24hs before departure.. of course normally this counts as 24hs before my first departure point, in this case EZE.. but since I have a long layover and I'm visiting the city.. would I have to take a new test there? Or the other one would still be valid (even if the 24hs have passed).
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tuchop
Hey, I have two newby questions:

1- Flying from EZE to CDG via JFK.. will bags go all the way to CDG since its an international transit? I have a 12hr stopover in NYC and was planning on going to Manhattan but I really wouldn't want to bring my luggage.
You will have to collect your bags at JFK when you go through immigration/customs and drop them back off. How long exactly is your stopover? If it's less than 12 hours, then the bags should be tagged through all the way to CDG, and all you'll have to do is drop them back off at luggage drop off after customs. If the stopover is more than 12 hours (12:01<), then your bags will only be tagged to JFK and you will have to go back through the check-in process at JFK.
tuchop likes this.

Last edited by wrp96; Dec 31, 2021 at 2:04 pm
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Luggage storage is available at JFK for long stopovers: https://www.jfk-airport.net/luggage-storage.html
tuchop likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Exp, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Wyndham & Caesars Diamond,
AA Gold trying to max Loyalty Points (LPS) by using BA nonstops for TATL in PE (LHR-SAN or LAX) and (JFK or BOS-LHR) .

When I do dummy bookings on AA website, using all BA metal, it shows a booking code “P” which is an AA code, not the “E”, “T” or even “W” BA codes.

Would I get miles/LPS based on the AA charts or BA charts with this “P”? Or should I book these flights on BA website and credit to AA instead?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by andromitocks
AA Gold trying to max Loyalty Points (LPS) by using BA nonstops for TATL in PE (LHR-SAN or LAX) and (JFK or BOS-LHR) .

When I do dummy bookings on AA website, using all BA metal, it shows a booking code “P” which is an AA code, not the “E”, “T” or even “W” BA codes.

Would I get miles/LPS based on the AA charts or BA charts with this “P”? Or should I book these flights on BA website and credit to AA instead?
I’m assuming they’re being “marketed” as AA codeshares? In other words, when you look up these flights on AA.com, you’re seeing them show up as flight number AA XYZ, not BA XYZ?

In that case, they’ll credit according to AA’s system. If you want them to credit according to BA’s chart, you’ll have to book through BA and credit to AA.

See:

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by British Airways will earn AAdvantage® miles, Loyalty Points, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart.”
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Exp, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Wyndham & Caesars Diamond,
RememberTheConcord: Yes, they are showing as AA6981 instead of BA238 so codeshare.
Cheers, Happy New Year and Thanks for the info- we'll go to BA then!

FOR THE 2022 NEWBIE LOUNGE THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2022 at 1:51 pm Reason: Add moderator note / link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.