Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 20, 5:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
Welcome to the 2020 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 20, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Arrow NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Quick question - I took a Cathay Pacific fight on 12/27 in Premium Economy which is not shown on my AA account yet...
This flight will push me to Exec Platinum... I wonder if this flight is shown in a week (e.g. Jan 5th) - will I still qualify Exec Platinum for 2019?
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Tommys888 View Post
Quick question - I took a Cathay Pacific fight on 12/27 in Premium Economy which is not shown on my AA account yet...
This flight will push me to Exec Platinum... I wonder if this flight is shown in a week (e.g. Jan 5th) - will I still qualify Exec Platinum for 2019?
Yes, the date of the flight is what counts, not the date the miles actually post.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:44 am

Programs: NZ
Hi ... I am an AA newbie based in New Zealand. I put an award flight on hold for flights AKL/SYD/KIX on QF in April. When I came to pay for it the system would not allow me to change the Region/Country of my credit card to be used for the taxes. I called Reservations and the agent said my booking was incorrectly in the US version of the site rather than NZ, even though I know I started in the NZ site. She said she could fix it, but I would have to pay the Reservations' service charge to do so. This seemed unfair as I felt that if I ended up in the wrong version of the site then that was a fault of their system. She was unable to waive the fee but suggested calling the web help desk, which I did and they were able to accept payment without a service fee.

So, everything was OK in the end, but I am wondering what I might have done wrong in the first place, or is this a known problem?

Last edited by minz56; Jan 2, 20 at 1:56 am
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:13 am

Biz Class MileSaaver to Australia from DFW in Nov

Hi looking to spend my 40th bday in Oz. I’m not seeing any decent options mileage exchange wise on AA. When is the best time to look for that? Is it better to look at Qantas and if so how do you see availability, what is the exchange rate in miles, and how do you book? Again looking for biz class since I’m 6’7” and that long a flight in coach would probably be the end of me. Lol.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TrvlAggie View Post
Hi looking to spend my 40th bday in Oz. I’m not seeing any decent options mileage exchange wise on AA. When is the best time to look for that? Is it better to look at Qantas and if so how do you see availability, what is the exchange rate in miles, and how do you book? Again looking for biz class since I’m 6’7” and that long a flight in coach would probably be the end of me. Lol.

Thanks in advance
Start by reading the Wikiposts and posts in AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread). Subscribe to and set alerts on ExpertFlyer. Do consider Air Fiji, etc.

We’ve used several MileSAAver awards to and from Australia for ourselves and friends, so it can be done.
TrvlAggie likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by TrvlAggie View Post

Thanks in advance
AA.com displays award space on both AA and QF, just search there. Keep in mind premium award space between the US-Australia/NZ is some of the hardest in the universe to find, so it's not surprising you're not seeing anything now for a trip in November. There's no magic formula about the best time to search or anything like that, you just need to be persistent and do your research, etc.

In addition to the master thread mentioned above here's another re: awards on QF...

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
TrvlAggie likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
Hi ... I am an AA newbie based in New Zealand. I put an award flight on hold for flights AKL/SYD/KIX on QF in April. When I came to pay for it the system would not allow me to change the Region/Country of my credit card to be used for the taxes. I called Reservations and the agent said my booking was incorrectly in the US version of the site rather than NZ, even though I know I started in the NZ site. She said she could fix it, but I would have to pay the Reservations' service charge to do so. This seemed unfair as I felt that if I ended up in the wrong version of the site then that was a fault of their system. She was unable to waive the fee but suggested calling the web help desk, which I did and they were able to accept payment without a service fee.

So, everything was OK in the end, but I am wondering what I might have done wrong in the first place, or is this a known problem?
It’s a known issue, and AA seem reluctant or unable to deal with it. It appears aa. sites where Amadeus is in use may offer better usability and work-arounds. See Booking with non-US credit card for payment on aa.com and other AA sites
minz56 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 11:26 am

I'm looking at booking an award seat with a long (6 hour) connection. There are earlier connecting flights available, but those itineraries cost more miles. If I book an award seat, can I try to fly standby on one of the earlier connecting flights? Would there be a fee to fly standby? Does it make a difference if my award seat is first class vs coach? All of my bags will be carry-ons. I tried to Google this, but found myself utterly confused. Many thanks!
Old Jan 2, 20, 12:08 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
Gold privelges for other travellers - does it matter who books?

I am travelling with my wife and sister and plan to book tickets for all of us. My sister is AA Gold.
1) For seat selection privileges, does is matter who books it? If I (no status) book, but make sure put sister's FF# in her info, can we select seats according to her privileges? Does she need to do the selection?
2) Can we all board with here group?
3) Is there any reason at all why she should do the booking rather than me?

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by iujen94 View Post
I'm looking at booking an award seat with a long (6 hour) connection. There are earlier connecting flights available, but those itineraries cost more miles. If I book an award seat, can I try to fly standby on one of the earlier connecting flights? Would there be a fee to fly standby? Does it make a difference if my award seat is first class vs coach? All of my bags will be carry-ons. I tried to Google this, but found myself utterly confused. Many thanks!
Fees, and those passengers/ticket types exempt from the fees, are all listed here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by iujen94 View Post
Additionally, I’m not sure that’s possible, as domestic connections (except Hawai’i, 18 hours - international’s 24) must be under four hours, unless it’s a LIFO (last in first out) situation or AA issues you a lengthy connection because it’s inconvenient.

In the latter case you can try standing by, and it might be granted - though technically, iirc it’s only supposed to be if there’s award availability on the earlier flight. (As JJeffrey says, there are conditions.)
Old Jan 2, 20, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by gregas View Post
I am travelling with my wife and sister and plan to book tickets for all of us. My sister is AA Gold.
1) For seat selection privileges, does is matter who books it? If I (no status) book, but make sure put sister's FF# in her info, can we select seats according to her privileges? Does she need to do the selection?
2) Can we all board with here group?
3) Is there any reason at all why she should do the booking rather than me?

Thanks!
1) It makes no difference who books it, as long as you put her AA # in the reservation, then you can select seats based on her GLD status.

2) You will have a different boarding group on your boarding pass, however its typically never a problem to board together, just tell the GA you're all together.

3) Again it makes no difference.
Old Jan 2, 20, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Additionally, I’m not sure that’s possible, as domestic connections (except Hawai’i, 18 hours - international’s 24) must be under four hours, unless it’s a LIFO (last in first out) situation or AA issues you a lengthy connection because it’s inconvenient.

In the latter case you can try standing by, and it might be granted - though technically, iirc it’s only supposed to be if there’s award availability on the earlier flight. (As JJeffrey says, there are conditions.)
AA abandoned the four-hour domestic connection maximum some time ago, so that they can claim that they are now offering more SAAver awards -- even if that means sitting in Philadelphia for 12 hours.

And no, for same-day standby, there's no requirement that there be SAAver award availability. If such availability existed, one could just call AA and change the award at no charge (assuming no married-segment issues).
Old Jan 2, 20, 5:37 pm

Hi there, looked for the help desk thread on lounge access but couldn't find it. I'm exec plat so for lounges I can access:

Admirals if I am traveling internationally regardless of cabin
Flagship if I am traveling internationally in business or first
Oneworld lounges in international locations if I am travelling on oneworld flights regardless of cabin

If I am flying domestically only if am flying transcontinental on a 3 cabin flight am I allowed flagship access.

Is my understanding correct on the above? Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 2, 20, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
Hi there, looked for the help desk thread on lounge access but couldn't find it. I'm exec plat so for lounges I can access:

Admirals if I am traveling internationally regardless of cabin
Flagship if I am traveling internationally in business or first
Oneworld lounges in international locations if I am travelling on oneworld flights regardless of cabin

If I am flying domestically only if am flying transcontinental on a 3 cabin flight am I allowed flagship access.

Is my understanding correct on the above? Thanks for your help!
As an EXP you can access Flagship Lounges on qualifying int'l flights regardless of cabin. So flying DFW-LHR in economy you can use the Flagship Lounge, for example.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: