FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:23 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Spazybugs
got flights between ARN-LHR-PHL-PHX-HNL and HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-ARN in feb 2021 and I have a question regarding lounge access for flying in business on these routings.

I understand American Airlines states you don’t get lounge access if you are not a member or a one world sapphire+ holder if the flights are solely on US itineraries.

However as these domestic flights are part of a longer transatlantic route what’s the situation here? Will I get lounge access in PHL, PHX and HNL as I know transcontinental LAX and the international sector at JFK do grant lounge access?
By the rules, you also get lounge access before domestic connecting flights as long as these are the same calendar day as your qualifying long haul flight in business (or early in the morning the day after).

So on the outbound, if you fly ARN-HNL all in the same day then you'll have access before every flight, including PHL and PHX. But if you're flying say ARN-LHR-PHL on day 1, followed by PHL-PHX-HNL on day 2, then technically no lounge access before any flight on day 2.

Same for the return, although if you're flying a redeye HNL-LAX connecting to LAX-JFK-LHR-ARN the next day you should get access in HNL as well even though your qualifying flight isn't until the next day, most agents will make an exception in these cases, as they should.