Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
AA is unlikely to change a ticket issued by BA. You could try getting to MCI early and asking AA to stand by for the earlier flight. AA allows anyone to stand by for an earlier, same-day domestic flight on a wholly domestic itinerary; whether AA will do so for the domestic leg of an international itinerary is something I do not know.

It's also possible that there there will be significant schedule changes between now and June which would allow -- of even require -- you to choose different flights through BA. You might end up not even connecting at DFW at all!

Good luck!
Thanks for the info - as stated after your post MCI no longer has any lounge facilities so arriving early on the day and trying for standby is a gamble.
Very true that things will probably change a lot between now and June!
Just frustrating that I cant simply move to the earlier flight (without a ridiculous fee) - BA explained it to me as that was the only connection linked to the LHR flight - they are going to ask AA to see if it can be manually moved,,,,
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
I'm flying SJO to the West coast via MIA with a long stopover in MIA. The fare allows the free stopover and the fare is constructed SJO-West coast e.g., there's no fare SJO-MIA.

So my newbie question is WHEN will the EQD/EQM post? After my MIA flight or at the very end? Semi-important due to the Hyatt challenge.

TIA
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
I'm flying SJO to the West coast via MIA with a long stopover in MIA. The fare allows the free stopover and the fare is constructed SJO-West coast e.g., there's no fare SJO-MIA.

So my newbie question is WHEN will the EQD/EQM post? After my MIA flight or at the very end? Semi-important due to the Hyatt challenge.

TIA
It really depends, there seems to be two times a day the flight EQM/EQD posts and I have had it both ways where sometimes one segment of a trip will post and then the second/third segments posts 12 to 24 hrs or so later. Sometimes they all post at the end. In the end all the segments will post, with the effective date of earning those EQM/EQDs being the date the flight was flown. As long as the flight itself is within that window for your challenge you should be okay.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
773 First Class

Hi folks, my wife and I will be flying from LHR to DFW in first class and wondered whether to choose two adjacent seats in the middle or two window seats.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by botham
Hi folks, my wife and I will be flying from LHR to DFW in first class and wondered whether to choose two adjacent seats in the middle or two window seats.
Well that entirely depends on whether you want to have conversation with each other during the flight, if yes then go with the 2 middles.

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)
botham likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Well that entirely depends on whether you want to have conversation with each other during the flight, if yes then go with the 2 middles.

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)
thanks for the link. I knew there must be one but I couldn’t find it.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MathMusic
It really depends, there seems to be two times a day the flight EQM/EQD posts and I have had it both ways where sometimes one segment of a trip will post and then the second/third segments posts 12 to 24 hrs or so later. Sometimes they all post at the end. In the end all the segments will post, with the effective date of earning those EQM/EQDs being the date the flight was flown. As long as the flight itself is within that window for your challenge you should be okay.
I think that the main point is that the points post segment by segment as the segments are completed, though the time lag is a bit variable.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:32 pm

Hello friendly people.

Can anyone confirm that as an exp, I can buy a seat in jet blue's basic economy and still get a checked bag/carry on? That is, do my exp benefits transfer over?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by danielm
Hello friendly people.

Can anyone confirm that as an exp, I can buy a seat in jet blue's basic economy and still get a checked bag/carry on? That is, do my exp benefits transfer over?

Thanks!
On Blue Basic fares, JetBlue will give EXPs two free checked bags, but no full-size carry-on (only a personal item).
Old Oct 30, 2021, 5:45 pm

I recently had a flight to Japan in March cancelled (DFW-HND), and was not automatically rebooked on JAL. I understand that I can call in and request a full refund or to be rebooked on JAL.

My question is, if I ask to be rebooked on JAL, am I forfeiting my right to a full refund if Japan is not open in March? Or if Japan is still closed and I am unable to go, can I still request a full refund after being rebooked since my original itinerary was cancelled/changed?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
On Blue Basic fares, JetBlue will give EXPs two free checked bags, but no full-size carry-on (only a personal item).
Thanks! A small-ish backpack would be fine then?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by danielm
Thanks! A small-ish backpack would be fine then?
From JetBlue's Bag section:

"Personal items cannot exceed 17" L (43.2 cm) x 13" W (33 cm) x 8" H (20.32 cm)."
Old Oct 31, 2021, 4:52 am

Programs: A3 *G
Hi, I need some ideas for the next AA flight MXP-NYC where I can get a very cheap B class. Unfortunately my QTR OW sapphire status will end in 31/12 and due to covid I was not able to comply with the required flights so no luck to renew. I am wondering if you guys have some hacks to "improve" the flight experience. Does AA have a bidding system for upgrades to PE or J? I read something regarding the 500-miles system but it's just for Gold/Platinum members if I'm not wrong. The challenge option does not hold since I won't fly oneworld carriers that much in the future. The other option is to buy directly the PE ticket and have a slightly better redeye flight... any suggestion is appreciated!
Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jumpallover
I read something regarding the 500-miles system but it's just for Gold/Platinum members if I'm not wrong.
Also, 500-mile upgrades are only good for domestic (and some Central American and Caribbean) flights.
jumpallover likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 12:07 pm

I have a flight on AA from MDT to DFW in two weeks for an appointment I can’t miss. I can’t trust AA with this booking given mass cancellations (I was impacted this last summer by this and rebooked on my own in another airline after AA couldn’t get me home in 4 days and wouldn’t let me fly to BWI or PHL … ).

The ticket is a main cabin extra cash ticket. I have no status. If I cancel do I get a flight credit? The site is very vague with wording. Part of this ticket was booked with a flight credit from a cancelled flight (they canceled) from last April.

Why do I keep going back to this well? Ugh. AA used to be so, so reliable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.