Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2021, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Question about EQDs. I recently flew the 1st half of a roundtrip Int'l flight. It appears to me the full EQDs were credited for the total flight payment. Is this correct? The EQDs are fully applied for roundtrip after flying only 1st segment? And EQMs are credited as they are flown? Or should I expect further EQDs after flying the return trip?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I figure this topic would be so popular that I should have no problem finding answers. Searched in Destination UK, and BA board in vain. Here I am.

I am flying AA LAX-LHR with 4 hours layover in LHR. Then take BA LHR-MXP. So it is International to International transit, on SEPARATE PNRs.
Carry-on bag only. All business class if that matters.
What COVID related documents do I need to show during the transit at LHR?
TIA.
I just transited LHR last week on separate tickets. Really easy now that LHR transit no longer requires a negative test. There are no covid doc checks at LHR transit.

You do need to go online 48 hrs before departure and fill out the UK Passenger Locator Form (PLF). There is a clear "transit" box to check now and the rest is self explanatory.

Then use the Verifly app to speed check in with AA. When you set up the trip in Verifly do it as "Trip to the UK" (in spite of the fact you're transiting, as the UK requirements are all AA cares about). Upload your PLF, vax cert, etc, and get your green check in Verifly.

Once you land at LHR, proceed to T5 flight connections, everything is pretty much normal, they just check your connecting boarding pass before security like always but there are no covid doc checks as mentioned.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Question about EQDs. I recently flew the 1st half of a roundtrip Int'l flight. It appears to me the full EQDs were credited for the total flight payment. Is this correct? The EQDs are fully applied for roundtrip after flying only 1st segment? And EQMs are credited as they are flown? Or should I expect further EQDs after flying the return trip?
Hmm, definitely not my experience on past two trips, miles and EQD credited individually after outbound and return segments were flown.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I just transited LHR last week on separate tickets. Really easy now that LHR transit no longer requires a negative test. There are no covid doc checks at LHR transit.

You do need to go online 48 hrs before departure and fill out the UK Passenger Locator Form (PLF). There is a clear "transit" box to check now and the rest is self explanatory.

Then use the Verifly app to speed check in with AA. When you set up the trip in Verifly do it as "Trip to the UK" (in spite of the fact you're transiting, as the UK requirements are all AA cares about). Upload your PLF, vax cert, etc, and get your green check in Verifly.

Once you land at LHR, proceed to T5 flight connections, everything is pretty much normal, they just check your connecting boarding pass before security like always but there are no covid doc checks as mentioned.
Thank you for sharing your personal LHR-transit experience. I have not yet used VeriFly app. Does it accept a photo version of CDC Vax Cert? If not, how would you upload that to the app?
Thanks again
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thank you for sharing your personal LHR-transit experience. I have not yet used VeriFly app. Does it accept a photo version of CDC Vax Cert? If not, how would you upload that to the app?
Thanks again
Yep, all you do is snap a pic and upload it. It walks you through it.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, all you do is snap a pic and upload it. It walks you through it.
Cool, thanks
Old Nov 14, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cubs87
Would you mind clarifying what 'extra credit' means? Miles? EQM? Thanks!
The table in question shows the total EQM for Business and First but splits the RDM into a Base column and a Cabin Bonus column.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Good day. Is there a business credit card which includes and allows American Airlines (Admirals) Club access? Thank you.
No.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Good day. Is there a way to view an American airlines seat map once boarding for the flight has commenced? Seem the “change seat” tab worked until shortly before boarding, but not once boarding began. Thank you.
No. At least not a seatmap that's up-to-date.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by vasantn
No.

No. At least not a seatmap that's up-to-date.
Thank you very much. I was beginning to feel unloved.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: A few
Hello, how do I know if a ticket i purchased is in Flagship business? Is there something on the ticket, or is just the fact the flight is betw LAX-MIA in a 772 and 77W. Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:56 am

SWU usage

It has been a while since I last earned a SWU. When upgrading to business on an international flight can it be from coach or do you need to upgrade from PE?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Leaving in a week for Hawaii. Outbound is IAH-DFW-KOA in first booked with miles. Return is HNL-LAX-IAH in first booked with miles. Questions: which lounge can I use? The AC at IAH? Flagship at DFW? HNL-LAX does not qualify for lounge access, right? What is Covid clearing procedure for flight to Hawaii at DFW? Since Hawaii is domestic, there shouldn't be any clearing procedure for return flight from HNL, right?

Last edited by Ilove2fly; Nov 18, 2021 at 7:16 am Reason: clarify flight info
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
It has been a while since I last earned a SWU. When upgrading to business on an international flight can it be from coach or do you need to upgrade from PE?

Thanks
SWU's go from economy to business, at least as it sits now. there has been speculation for a while that AA will change this (to now follow DL) so that SWU's would only go from Y > PE and PE > J.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Leaving in a week for Hawaii. Outbound is IAH-DFW-KOA in first booked with miles. Return is HNL-LAX-IAH in first booked with miles. Questions: which lounge can I use? The AC at IAH? Flagship at DFW? HNL-LAX does not qualify for lounge access, right? What is Covid clearing procedure for flight to Hawaii at DFW? Since Hawaii is domestic, there shouldn't be any clearing procedure for return flight from HNL, right?
On the outbound you can use the AC's in IAH and DFW. The Flagship Lounge at DFW is still closed, but if it was open you could use that as well.

On the return, you are correct in that HNL-LAX does not include lounge access. Only the flights from DFW, ORD, & CLT.

As to the Hawaii covid clearing at DFW, there is some recent experience in the below thread:

The line at D28 at DFW for Hawaii vaccine checks extends back to D31
Ilove2fly likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Is there an AA Vacations sub / thread / wiki? I wanted to look up the rules about hotels - primarily, if you do a two week trip, what is the minimum number of hotel nights you need to still get the trip coded with a star for the EQDs? And if you book a Hyatt room, will you still get your same Hyatt points and Globalist benefits? Or do you just book the absolute cheapest hotel and then never even check in to it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.