FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:29 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
I'm new to AA and in the process of making my way to Emerald through BA.
As I couldn't find anything regarding this (maybe I'm just very bad at searching), I thought I'd ask here.
Other than the risk of missing connections, are there any major issues with booking a direct turnaround (on separate tickets)?
The conditions of carriage don't seem to explicitly cover that case, at least based on my reading.
I believe the term you want to look for is 'self-connecting', but it looks like it's more frequently used with connecting between different airlines to snag a cheaper fare.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No issues whatsoever. If you want to fly somewhere and turn right back around and fly back, AA will be happy to take your money
Typically same day-round trips price out at the same price as two one ways (given same origin/destination), but can actually price out cheaper (aka a roundtrip AAA-BBB-ZZZ-CCC-AAA bought separately would price as two one ways (AAA-ZZZ and ZZZ-AAA), but may be cheaper when a one way AAA-CCC via ZZZ and then the nonstop return). I've done both (two one ways, and a same day round trip), but haven't experienced any delays on the outbound that have caused me to misconnect, so I unfortunately can't speak from experience. I have gotten a few comments about the same day return from agents when rebooking the return due to misconnections there, but that's because they fly for free and don't have to worry about the milage run game. As JJeffrey said, AA will happily take your money, however you decide to book.