Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:22 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tferrall
Current American Airlines member with several flights booked with the airline over the next few months. Looking to do a mileage run in order to get gold status by the end of this calendar year. Was wondering if I would earn EQS on an award redemption or if I would have to pay cash in order to be able to get those EQSs needed to achieve gold status. Thanks very much!
Originally Posted by safari ari
You only “earn” any status related attribute from a paid flight. So an award would not earn a segment. More importantly, and this is my honest opinion. I wouldn’t spend any extra time/money to stretch to make Gold. It’s essentially worthless, or you could easily get most of the benefits awarded from a co-branded credit card if you don’t fly enough organically.
Agreed. The only value Gold has outside of the credit cards is the upgrades, but from my experience a while ago, the upgrades were only valuable on short (less than 500 mile) regional routes during non-business heavy times (aka not Monday morning and Friday afternoon), as for flights longer than 500 miles will require stickers ($40 per 500 miles rounded up). Even as an EXP I still don't clear some upgrades. So before spending just to achieve gold status, evaluate the routes and times you expect to fly, and look at current upgrade lists / see how many flights are going out with empty F seats, as all the other benefits are available via credit card.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by safari ari
You only “earn” any status related attribute from a paid flight. So an award would not earn a segment. More importantly, and this is my honest opinion. I wouldn’t spend any extra time/money to stretch to make Gold. It’s essentially worthless, or you could easily get most of the benefits awarded from a co-branded credit card if you don’t fly enough organically.
How much one should stretch is debatable because if I was at 0 EQMs and EQDs in November, I wouldn't recommend dropping $3K to go get AA Gold (or DL Silver, etc.), but the "co-branded CCs basically offer what low-level status can get you" is such a bad myth/narrative pushed by many FTers, often those who have such high level status that yes, it can make the benefits of low-level status seem pretty minimal, but the reality is traveling with some status is usually much better than traveling with no status, at least (or rather especially) if traveling in economy. I'm reminded of this anytime I island hop on HA in Hawaii and do so without status or when I was based in SEA and had to fly AS without status. What AA GLD gets you that a co-branded CC does not:
- Priority check-in and security
- Access to preferred seating (which can mean being able to select an aisle/window if all non-preferred aisle/windows are already selected)
- Access to MCE at check-in
- Comp upgrades on sub 500 miles flights
- The ability to upgrade with stickers on longer flights
- Better priority and handling in IROPs
- OneWorld Ruby status which isn't much but at least provide some benefits if on partners while an AA-branded CC will only extend the benefits when you're on an AA flight
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by tferrall
Current American Airlines member with several flights booked with the airline over the next few months. Looking to do a mileage run in order to get gold status by the end of this calendar year. Was wondering if I would earn EQS on an award redemption or if I would have to pay cash in order to be able to get those EQSs needed to achieve gold status. Thanks very much!
To answer your question directly, award flights give no EQM/EQS/EQD so you would have to pay if you are booking any kind of mileage run. It would be nice if you at least got the EQS but you do not currently.
S80 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:44 am

Complimentary upgrades ever?

I'm Platinum, flying AA 44 JFK - CDG this afternoon flying in V (coach). It looks like the flight is pretty empty.

Are complimentary upgrades a thing ever and would it even be worth asking at the Platinum check in at airport?

I recall getting one back in about 2016 when I was EXP but assume they are ancient history these days.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by wwrjb
I'm Platinum, flying AA 44 JFK - CDG this afternoon flying in V (coach). It looks like the flight is pretty empty.

Are complimentary upgrades a thing ever and would it even be worth asking at the Platinum check in at airport?

I recall getting one back in about 2016 when I was EXP but assume they are ancient history these days.
Very rare to non-existent. AA is happy to have seats out front empty, and will probably fill it with non-revs. You would have a better chance if economy was sold out, then they might want to bump someone up to open a seat in Economy.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

No, AA doesn't just upgrade elites (or anyone) for free just because. On rare occasions if economy is oversold you might snag an op-up.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

None of the US Big 3 (AA, DL, UA) offer complimentary upgrades on TATL//TPAC flights, even to top tier elites. What you likely received in 2016 was what is called an "OpUp" or "Operational Upgrade" in which you were bumped up from Y to J because Y was oversold. If an OpUp is needed, generally airlines will upgrade their highest ranking elites but there's also no (at least publicly) published rank order for an OpUp.

That said, right now, what may be easier than usual to obtain is "Poor Man's Business Class". Looking at the seat map for today for AA 44 the seat map indicates a pretty light load in the back (not always a solid indicator since there could be Basic Economy passengers and non-revs who may be assigned some of those seats before departure) so there's a chance** you could score a row of 3 or 4 to yourself and be able to lie-down to sleep.
**This should not be expected and other passengers who are in a full row may also move to a row you have moved to.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
None of the US Big 3 (AA, DL, UA) offer complimentary upgrades on TATL//TPAC flights, even to top tier elites. What you likely received in 2016 was what is called an "OpUp" or "Operational Upgrade" in which you were bumped up from Y to J because Y was oversold. If an OpUp is needed, generally airlines will upgrade their highest ranking elites but there's also no (at least publicly) published rank order for an OpUp.

That said, right now, what may be easier than usual to obtain is "Poor Man's Business Class". Looking at the seat map for today for AA 44 the seat map indicates a pretty light load in the back (not always a solid indicator since there could be Basic Economy passengers and non-revs who may be assigned some of those seats before departure) so there's a chance** you could score a row of 3 or 4 to yourself and be able to lie-down to sleep.
**This should not be expected and other passengers who are in a full row may also move to a row you have moved to.

Thanks - this was super helpful. Much appreciated.

I ended up cancelling my paid seat and booking a web award for 69,000 points in J. Figure this was pretty good value given one way is selling for $7,000 today and I'll actually be able to get some rest!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
My former supervisor booked a return trip for me via Concur, and I received the confirmation for it via 'American Express Global Business Travel'. That supervisor has since left the company. I want to change the return leg of the flight. Trying on AA.com tells me to contact the site/agency where I made the booking. The booking does not appear in my own Concur account. 'AEGBT' appears to have no contact information. Is there any way I can work with the airline to change the flight or do I need to figure something out at my workplace? Thank you!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by on-a-stick
My former supervisor booked a return trip for me via Concur, and I received the confirmation for it via 'American Express Global Business Travel'. That supervisor has since left the company. I want to change the return leg of the flight. Trying on AA.com tells me to contact the site/agency where I made the booking. The booking does not appear in my own Concur account. 'AEGBT' appears to have no contact information. Is there any way I can work with the airline to change the flight or do I need to figure something out at my workplace? Thank you!
You'll have to change it through your corporate booking agency. Forget about whoever the email came from, just call whatever number you would call today if you needed to book a brand new trip, give them your PNR and they should be able to take care of it.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You'll have to change it through your corporate booking agency. Forget about whoever the email came from, just call whatever number you would call today if you needed to book a brand new trip, give them your PNR and they should be able to take care of it.
Thank you. I feared as much but lived in hope I will make the call.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Flying AA JFK - GRU on November 28th in Premium Economy.

What can I expect service-wise?

By the way I am also in 16a and 16L would you say those are good seats or should I switch them up? I chose the bulkhead because I thought maybe it would be better not to have someone being able to recline in front of me. But please advise.

Thanks.

Last edited by HWGeeks; Sep 11, 2021 at 9:12 pm
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:52 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Flying AA JFK - GRU on November 28th in Premium Economy.

What can I expect service-wise?
I don't know the exact specifics, but I believe there should be the option to pre-order a meal that opens 30 days before departure. It's really too early to tell given some of the current supply issues that result in different catering on flights.

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
By the way I am also in 16a and 16L would you say those are good seats or should I switch them up? I chose the bulkhead because I thought maybe it would be better not to have someone being able to recline in front of me. But please advise.

Thanks.
16A and 16L on the 77W (777-300ER) do not have windows, and legroom width is reduced due to the exit slide. 16A also faces a FA jumpseat. See https://www.aerolopa.com/aa-773 for exact placement if you're curious.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Thank you just moved to 17a and 17L
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

being a long time suffering reds fan i love your username!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.