Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:56 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Global321
(I assume you are currently not EXP.)
Only you can decide the value of getting EXP. Do you have a reason to be in LHR? If not, there are cheaper ways to get $4000 EQD with partners.
I’m PRO. I do have to be in London, but what are cheaper ways if not this way?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by uxb
I’m PRO. I do have to be in London, but what are cheaper ways if not this way?
Right now - in another thread - there is a ~$600 Alaska fare, BWI-PDX in domestic first. 3 would cost you ~$1800 and would net ~$4400 EQD and get you there. Not a fun trip but it would get you where you need to be. ORD-BOM in business would get you almost there for ~$2400 on BA, JFK-MLE in business $2600 would do it on QR. There are other partner flights out there that can yield good returns as well. Look at the premium fare thread to find more.
uxb likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:49 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Global321
Right now - in another thread - there is a ~$600 Alaska fare, BWI-PDX in domestic first. 3 would cost you ~$1800 and would net ~$4400 EQD and get you there. Not a fun trip but it would get you where you need to be. ORD-BOM in business would get you almost there for ~$2400 on BA, JFK-MLE in business $2600 would do it on QR. There are other partner flights out there that can yield good returns as well. Look at the premium fare thread to find more.
Well, I do have to go to London. (I miss home.) But it sounds like I can fly J on it $2000 r/t (1700 EQD), and pick up the difference on two BWI-PDX (which works because work sends me there). Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I misconnected in DOH-SEA a few months back and was given a flight to JFK instead. Can I claim the difference in EQDs that I would have earned? Anyone have experience with this?

If there is a better thread please move this post
Old Sep 19, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kq747
I misconnected in DOH-SEA a few months back and was given a flight to JFK instead. Can I claim the difference in EQDs that I would have earned? Anyone have experience with this?

If there is a better thread please move this post
You can try calling AAdvantage Customer Service and asking for Original Routing Credit, although sometimes when the ORC request is for partner carrier flights it's not as easy of an ask as if it was AA metal.

Also, not sure what fare class you booked, but on a 20% earning business fare the difference would be an extra ~$140 EQD. So honestly I wouldn't waste my time unless I really needed that extra EQD.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can try calling AAdvantage Customer Service and asking for Original Routing Credit, although sometimes when the ORC request is for partner carrier flights it's not as easy of an ask as if it was AA metal.

Also, not sure what fare class you booked, but on a 20% earning business fare the difference would be an extra ~$140 EQD. So honestly I wouldn't waste my time unless I really needed that extra EQD.
thanks I've heard of this happening but wasn't sure if they did it for partners. Im not sure I need the extra EQD right now but I would like to have it incase I end up having to do a mileage run later
Old Sep 19, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
That 140 EQD might make a difference on a domestic upgrade and might be the difference between sitting at the pointy end where the freeze booze lives, or prohibition era MCE!
kq747 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hi there,

I first want to thank everyone on the AA forum... Everyone has been extremely helpful and friendly. Great experience switching over

Quick question... As someone who primarily buys J fares, is there any noticeable benefits to having status with AA? I haven't decided where to credit my flights for the remainder of the year to either hit AS MVP75K or AA PlatinumPro. I could hit EXP as well with one more extra trip, so I'm curious if there are any noticeable benefits with having status compared to just buying J fares on AA. Does EXP get Flagship lounge access on non INTL J fares or anything extra from J?

Air Canada Super Elite - has Concierge service(very valuable only certain J tix receive), meal priority, priority rewards
United 1K - I didn't receive any noticeable benefits from buying J fares except having the priority phone line and free same day change(which I never used with limited flights ex.Canada).

I really want to say how happy I've been with AA... All J fares to USA/Mexico/Central America are $550USD-$900 R/T, and lots of destinations with widebodies. Much better experience than I had with UA and AC.

Thanks again for your help!!

Last edited by SKYEG; Sep 19, 2021 at 10:05 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:48 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Hi,

I flew DFW-LHR-ORK booked on BA stock and LHR-ORK was codeshare with lingus.

On my lingus boarding pass it showed my AA number. I received my DFW-LHR miles already. Any chance I can get any for the lingus leg?

I know they arnt a partner but my AA number was on their boarding pass so I thought I’d ask.

thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Quick question... As someone who primarily buys J fares, is there any noticeable benefits to having status with AA? I haven't decided where to credit my flights for the remainder of the year to either hit AS MVP75K or AA PlatinumPro. I could hit EXP as well with one more extra trip, so I'm curious if there are any noticeable benefits with having status compared to just buying J fares on AA. Does EXP get Flagship lounge access on non INTL J fares or anything extra from J?
With AA, the real added benefit would be waitlist priority, helpful in the case of irrops or if you want to go standby, etc.

You would also get a separate reservations number, with PLT Pro you'd have the highest priority in the queue for normal reservations agents, while EXP has another number with a subset of agents ("EXP Desk") that are generally more competent and experienced.

But in terms of lounges no, if you're already buying J then PLT Pro or EXP status won't give you anything you wouldn't already get with business class (at least domestically speaking and within North America).
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:21 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
With AA, the real added benefit would be waitlist priority, helpful in the case of irrops or if you want to go standby, etc.

You would also get a separate reservations number, with PLT Pro you'd have the highest priority in the queue for normal reservations agents, while EXP has another number with a subset of agents ("EXP Desk") that are generally more competent and experienced.

But in terms of lounges no, if you're already buying J then PLT Pro or EXP status won't give you anything you wouldn't already get with business class (at least domestically speaking and within North America).
I second this. If you're willing to go one extra trip for EXP, I'd say go for that in terms of the waitlist priority and reservations number. The EXP desk is excellent (didn't spend much time at PPro level, so I can't say how 'worse' that is though). AS MVP 75k, AA PPRO and AA EXP are all OW Emerald, so same ac/flagship lounge access rules when flying long haul international, and only access to flagship lounges when in first/business on qualifying domestic itineraries (see https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp for exact details).

There's always the added complication of codeshares, so that aside, I'd say go with the carrier whose metal you anticipate flying most often. You didn't say if you'd qualify for AS MVP 100k either, so look at the benefits there (but they seem a little lackluster, and require a lot of flying on AS metal). If you were asking me personally, I'd say go for AA EXP, as they have the larger route network, as well as (presumably) a lot more elites, and their 'EXP Desk' agents are extremely valuable in the case of IROPS.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by S80
The EXP desk is excellent
While this is true, it is a pale shadow of what it used to be. The decline started when they closed the TUS call center which had absolutely phenomenal agents. Most of them took early retirement although they were all offered relocation to DFW or RDU.

In those days it was fairly normal to have favorite AAgents and ask to be connected to them by name.
Global321 and catmndu like this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Hello, seeing conflicting info on Flagship Lounge access....Does the Mexico City destination qualify for access (when FL reopen) when flying business class on American? Thank you!
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Hello, seeing conflicting info on Flagship Lounge access....Does the Mexico City destination qualify for access (when FL reopen) when flying business class on American? Thank you!
The Flagship Lounge access page at aa.com is indeed 100% conflicting now when it comes to MEX.

In the main page it says access is only available now for First & Business to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, New Zealand, and deep South America (now excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname and Venezuela). According to this Central America & MEX no longer qualify.

However in the bottom footnotes AA still lists Central America, all of South America, and MEX as qualifying destinations ("Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand and Mexico City (MEX) only...").

I'm guessing the footnotes are wrong and just haven't been updated to reflect the revised eligible destinations, which would be very typical of lazy AA and aa.com website marketing folks.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 10:22 am

The wording on AA.com states that passengers on "Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship"
between LAX and MIA have Admirals Club access. Do passengers who upgrade to Flagship
First or Business using 500 mile upgrades get Admirals Club access on these flights or is the
word "ticketed" code for only those who purchased actual Flagship First or Business fares get
access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.