Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by kc4601
I don't want or need to fly AA badly enough to wear a face covering.
That is your choice.

Similarly, my uncle stopped flying after 9/11/2001. He decided the TSA procedures were too invasive. His choice.
aztimm, carlosdca, FAA1996 and 1 others like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Here's my best guess. They will have a supply of disposable masks at the ticket counter. If someone shows up without a mask, they will hand one over.

If they run out, then the passenger will not get a boarding pass and will be asked to procure their own mask somehow. I can imagine enterprising home-sewers setting up sidewalk vending for masks, so that passenger can go outside, get a mask, then come back.

Personally, I plan, once I can start flying again, to get four or five homemade cloth masks and take them with me in my carry-on. That way I can switch to a new, fresh mask when I feel it necessary and won't have to rely on the airline-supplied masks. Once at my destination, I can wash out the dirty masks, hang them up to dry overnight and then go on my business.

Where I live, there are plenty of under- and un-employed people making a few bucks selling masks. I have no problems buying masks from them thus helping keep their families afloat.
QueenofCoach - What is the problem with you? Always responding with level-headed and common sense advice and responses. It's people like you....
aztimm likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by anttrav19
If I refuse to wear a mask will I not be allowed to fly? This is not mandated by the FAA.
The FAA doesn't require you to wear clothes, but I am pretty sure the airline can insist on it.
lowfareair, chrisny2 and ajf87 like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I'll kiss the floor of the MIA AC when it re-opens.
You can also pick up your AA flight mask there, since they're now making them in the D30 AC.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by anttrav19
If I refuse to wear a mask will I not be allowed to fly? This is not mandated by the FAA.
If the airline files their rule with the FAA and it is accepted, it becomes enforceable as an FAA rule.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
QueenofCoach - What is the problem with you? Always responding with level-headed and common sense advice and responses. It's people like you....
You're a sweetie, thanks.

I will add: If I go on a long flight and have several homemade cloth masks with me, I can switch to a fresh one when the one I have starts feeling yecchy, then go in the lav, wash and rinse the first one. It will dry fast in the dry airplane air. I'm also thinking I can offer a fresh mask to a fellow passenger who might need one. It is in MY best interest that passenger seated near me have good, comfortable masks.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
I’m not a physician, but since commercial airliners are only pressurized to the equivalent of 6-8,000 ft altitude, wouldn’t there be a chance of hypoxia with some people, depending on the type of mask? Especially on a longer flight?
Old May 1, 2020, 3:33 pm

i'm flying soon but i won't be keeping mine on the whole time. guess we can start a new FT thread of passenger shaming "look who isn't wearing a mask" to go with the FT thread of "look at who put their feet on the bulkhead". Who's going to enforce "must remain on in flight"?
Old May 1, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
i'm flying soon but i won't be keeping mine on the whole time. guess we can start a new FT thread of passenger shaming "look who isn't wearing a mask" to go with the FT thread of "look at who put their feet on the bulkhead". Who's going to enforce "must remain on in flight"?
Yeah, this would be very difficult for me. I am constantly drinking something. I have a 16 oz water cup on my desk that I have to fill up at least once an hour. I take a sip every couple of minutes. Not sure what good a mask will do if I am constantly taking it off and on and touching my face while doing so.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by TBRIC
I’m not a physician, but since commercial airliners are only pressurized to the equivalent of 6-8,000 ft altitude, wouldn’t there be a chance of hypoxia with some people, depending on the type of mask? Especially on a longer flight?
A person with such a medical condition might be well advised to discuss this with their doctor before buying airline tickets. The doctor might advise a certain type of mask suited to that particular person, supplemental oxygen or might advise staying on the ground.

The ACAA says that airline must accommodate persons with disabilities, so long as that accommodation does not impinge on flight safety.

"Hello, my doctor says I can't wear a mask when I fly."
"Then you don't fly."

"Hello, my doctor says I must stand up in the aisle during takeoff and landing."
"Then you don't fly."
Old May 1, 2020, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by ksucats
Yeah, this would be very difficult for me. I am constantly drinking something. I have a 16 oz water cup on my desk that I have to fill up at least once an hour. I take a sip every couple of minutes. Not sure what good a mask will do if I am constantly taking it off and on and touching my face while doing so.
Get a water container with a straw. Stick the straw under the mask. This isn't rocket science.
chrisny2 and ajf87 like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Get a water container with a straw. Stick the straw under the mask. This isn't rocket science.
Still wouldn't change how uncomfortable and annoying a mask is for me and fogs up my glasses as well. I tried to wear one not that long ago when doing a sheet rock project. I was miserable & gave up after a couple minutes. I don't expect this policy to last long, so hopefully by the next time I need to fly it wouldn't be an issue for me.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by ksucats
Still wouldn't change how uncomfortable and annoying a mask is for me and fogs up my glasses as well. I tried to wear one not that long ago when doing a sheet rock project. I was miserable & gave up after a couple minutes. I don't expect this policy to last long, so hopefully by the next time I need to fly it wouldn't be an issue for me.
You might be well advised to find some interesting destinations within driving distance for a while. I grew up in Wichita. I know of some GREAT places you could visit.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:29 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Like all other places that require masks, they make an exception for those with medical conditions preventing them from wearing one.

I think AA will follow that CDC guideline.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Like all other places that require masks, they make an exception for those with medical conditions preventing them from wearing one.

I think AA will follow that CDC guideline.
They will probably follow the ACAA. Air Carriers Access Act.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.