Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased on or before 7 Apr for travel through 7 Sep 2020 (Coronavirus)

American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers Traveling This Summer — link

Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 7:00 PM

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility for customers in light of concerns around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

For existing travel

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who have summer travel through Sept. 30, 2020. The offer is available for any of American’s fares, and customers will have until Dec. 31, 2021, for future travel. Fare rules may apply depending on the ticket.
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • All AAdvantage® award tickets are included in this offer.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer.
  • Travel must be completed by Dec. 31, 2021.

For new travel purchases

American has also extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase new travel through May 31, 2020. Customers will have even more flexibility since any ticket purchased by May 31, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. The offer is available for any of American’s published nonrefundable fares.
  • Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT through May 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.
  • This is available for any of American’s nonrefundable published fares.
Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.

PREVIOUSLY

AA just posted this: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Extending-Change-Fee-Waivers-for-Customers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/ FORT WORTH, Texas —American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility in light of concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19).

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31. The offer is available for any of American’s fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts, including international travel waivers that are available for travel through May 31, can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
  • Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of American’s fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date — whichever is sooner.

Print Wikipost

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Siver, VS Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
There are at least two. If you booked before March 1st, there is a date range over which the waiver can be used which ends on 30 April. It doesn't say whether that just refers to the outbound flight - or whether both outbound and inbound flights must be completed by the 30th. (As mentioned in this thread by Matt Rich Mar 10, 20, 10:15 am)
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by cfbaec; Mar 14, 2020 at 11:25 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by seawolf
You can apply the $700 ticket to a new itinerary for $300 but you forfeit the $400 difference.

Refer to https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...on-policy.html
That isn't how the AA agent explained to me how the voucher would work two days ago. I specifically asked about this and she said I could use the the voucher value and then I would get a new voucher with the deducted amount. So essentially was she wrong that I need to use all the voucher value in one transaction? I had a separate conversation with an OTA agent yesterday, that had another AA ticket coupon for me, I used the value of another cancelled flight for a new flight, and she explained the leftover value could be used, but I would then need to pay the AA change fee since I used my one time free change. Seems to be conflicting information for me to understand.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by seawolf
You can apply the $700 ticket to a new itinerary for $300 but you forfeit the $400 difference.

Refer to https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...on-policy.html
I do not see how you surmise that from the information on that page....
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Mileage redeposit fee waived for Websaver award tickets?

has anyone had success getting the mileage redeposit fee waived for cancelling a Websaver award ticket under this waiver? I saw the post above but that sounded like a regular award ticket. I already cancelled my flight next week for a cruise that was cancelled, but can't get through to anyone to redeposit the miles.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:58 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I do not see how you surmise that from the information on that page....
I was under the same impression as the OP but rereading the page, the issue is here: [red is my highlighting, bolding is original]

Changes to Origin/Destination - Allowed
  • Waive Change Fee
  • Ticket reissue for original ticketed fare
  • Any changes made to origin/destination the applicable fare rules apply.
  • Add collect does not apply to seasonality if same cabin class and O/D from original ticket
  • Any changes made to origin/destination all fare rules apply
  • Changes to Stopover city are permitted
  • If new ticket price is lower than original ticket the residual is forfeited.
    • Residual MCO’s are not allowed when using this policy.

CSR told me that residual vouchers would be issued for rebooking - but based on the policy, it seems like the residual is forfeited in the case that origin/destination is changed.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by flightrisk
I was under the same impression as the OP but rereading the page, the issue is here: [red is my highlighting, bolding is original]

CSR told me that residual vouchers would be issued for rebooking - but based on the policy, it seems like the residual is forfeited in the case that origin/destination is changed.
Good to know! I appreciate it!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by safari ari
That isn't how the AA agent explained to me how the voucher would work two days ago. I specifically asked about this and she said I could use the the voucher value and then I would get a new voucher with the deducted amount. So essentially was she wrong that I need to use all the voucher value in one transaction? I had a separate conversation with an OTA agent yesterday, that had another AA ticket coupon for me, I used the value of another cancelled flight for a new flight, and she explained the leftover value could be used, but I would then need to pay the AA change fee since I used my one time free change. Seems to be conflicting information for me to understand.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by flightrisk

Did AA issue a voucher? If the instructions to rebook involve the referencing the original ticket number as you had originally, then you definitely forfeit if new fare is lower.

If AA did exchange your original ticket for a voucher (different number than original ticket) then whatever rules on voucher would apply.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Nonrefundable tickets remain nonrefundable. Only the cancel/change fee is waived.

Note also the [EDIT: [b]travel, not reissue] date of 12/31 at the latest, or 1 year from original date of issue if earlier.
Could you clarify, what it means 'nonrefundable tickets remain nonrefundable'? If you cancel, do you get credit? Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Boringbarry
Could you clarify, what it means 'nonrefundable tickets remain nonrefundable'? If you cancel, do you get credit? Thanks
Any nonrefundable (but cancellable) ticket can be canceled for credit, regardless of this waiver.

I just wanted to make clear that this waiver does not change the nonrefundable status of a ticket, i.e., if you bought a nonrefundable ticket, it's still not possible to get a refund.
Boringbarry likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Mar 15, 2020 at 8:14 am
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere else. Despite flying AA for years and being Gold I've never actually had to cancel a ticket before. Due to COVID-19 I had to cancel an international flight worth $1,425. The agent said I'd be issued a voucher for that amount that I can use within 1 year - and I'd have to call to use it. My issue is I have not received any e-mail voucher and of course cannot get through to Reservations due to the long wait times and I have flights I want to book to take advantage of the low fares. Do they send the voucher in the physical mail? How does this work? Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Any nonrefundable (but cancellable) ticket can be canceled for credit, regardless of this waiver.

I just wanted to make clear that this waiver does not change the nonrefundable status of a ticket, i.e., if you bought a nonrefundable ticket, it's still not possible to get a refund.
thanks for your help
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by jlb3
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere else. Despite flying AA for years and being Gold I've never actually had to cancel a ticket before. Due to COVID-19 I had to cancel an international flight worth $1,425. The agent said I'd be issued a voucher for that amount that I can use within 1 year - and I'd have to call to use it. My issue is I have not received any e-mail voucher and of course cannot get through to Reservations due to the long wait times and I have flights I want to book to take advantage of the low fares. Do they send the voucher in the physical mail? How does this work? Thanks!
When I recently canceled reservations AA gave me the ticket numbers that would be used for the tracking. They said this would be easier than using the record locators.
Carter29072 likes this.

Last edited by 236Dakota; Mar 15, 2020 at 9:58 am
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
When I recently canceled reservations AA gave me the ticket numbers that would be used for the tracking. The said this would be easier than using the record locators.
You need/must keep track of ticket numbers as the record locator will be wiped a number of days after original departure date has elapsed.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
Just spoke to chase about the trip that I cancelled yesterday. They are telling me that the credit is with them (Chase) and I will have to call them to redeem my airline credit with AA.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
Eligible flight, still getting change fee

I have a nonrefundable ticket on AA in April for an event that's now been canceled. The ticket was purchased in January. As far as I can tell it meets all the criteria for a change fee waiver. But when I attempt to change it online (new trip in June), the $200 is added if I change the destination. The other notice says that changes to origin/destination are allowed. Is this something that can only be done on the phone by an agent?

I can wait for the dust to settle and don't need to clog up the phone lines right now, but curious whether I've misunderstood the criteria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.