Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased on or before 7 Apr for travel through 7 Sep 2020 (Coronavirus)

American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers Traveling This Summer link

Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 7:00 PM

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility for customers in light of concerns around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

For existing travel

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who have summer travel through Sept. 30, 2020. The offer is available for any of Americans fares, and customers will have until Dec. 31, 2021, for future travel. Fare rules may apply depending on the ticket.
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • All AAdvantage award tickets are included in this offer.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer.
  • Travel must be completed by Dec. 31, 2021.

For new travel purchases

American has also extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase new travel through May 31, 2020. Customers will have even more flexibility since any ticket purchased by May 31, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. The offer is available for any of Americans published nonrefundable fares.
  • Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT through May 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.
  • This is available for any of Americans nonrefundable published fares.
Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.

PREVIOUSLY

AA just posted this: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Extending-Change-Fee-Waivers-for-Customers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/ FORT WORTH, Texas American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility in light of concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19).

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31. The offer is available for any of Americans fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts, including international travel waivers that are available for travel through May 31, can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
  • Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of Americans fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date whichever is sooner.

Print Wikipost

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by precision80
Does anyone know if they only allow one change or multiple times if booked prior to March 1?
One change.

That, of course, might be subject to change depending on what happens with your future travel date.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Does this current waiver only apply to *changing* flights, or can flights also be cancelled without a cancellation fee, and then receive a waiver in return? The language seems a bit ambiguous. When I cancelled a flight I received the message:

"Dont worry, the value of your ticket is safe. Please wait to call until youre ready to rebook, and youll be able to use the value of your unused ticket and seat purchase toward a future trip."

Not sure if the "future trip" needs to be the same origin/destination or if it can be used for any future travel.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers Traveling This Summer link

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility for customers in light of concerns around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

For existing travel

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who have summer travel through Sept. 30, 2020. The offer is available for any of Americans fares, and customers will have until Dec. 31, 2021, for future travel. Fare rules may apply depending on the ticket.
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer.

For new travel purchases

American has also extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase new travel through May 31, 2020. Customers will have even more flexibility since any ticket purchased by May 31, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. The offer is available for any of Americans published nonrefundable fares.
  • Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT through May 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.
Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:57 pm

Finally they've ditched the 1 year from date of ticketing restriction....
Cledaybuck and MarkOK like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
So award tickets can’t be canceled and redeposited. Just change to a new destination?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by AndyAA
Finally they've ditched the 1 year from date of ticketing restriction....
Sort of. I have a ticket I purchased in January of this year, I dont think they have extended it for tickets expiring after this September. So unlike if this were Delta or United, I think I have to use or lose this ticket within one year of ticketing, or January 2021.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
So award tickets cant be canceled and redeposited. Just change to a new destination?
remains to be seen. Im guessing web special should be changeable.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
From AA's waiver, is there a more detailed description of what "You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later." actually means?

If I move my flight to June and that flight is subsequently canceled, I would think I would still be eligible for a full refund. However, suppose we're still under severe travel restrictions, will I be precluded from moving the new flight entirely, or will I be subject to the $200 change fee?

Also, MODS regarding the title; 30 days in September, not 31.

Last edited by txpenny; Apr 8, 2020 at 10:08 am Reason: spell check
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RedElmo
So award tickets cant be canceled and redeposited. Just change to a new destination?
I'm wondering this too. I have partner award tickets for August (which I was thrilled to get), bit it now looks like that trip will be risky. Id love to get my miles back so I can try again for next summer.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, Mariott Gold Elite, UA Silver, Lowly kettle across DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG.
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
Sort of. I have a ticket I purchased in January of this year, I dont think they have extended it for tickets expiring after this September. So unlike if this were Delta or United, I think I have to use or lose this ticket within one year of ticketing, or January 2021.
This is a wait and see situation. It depends on whether travel remains depressed beyond September. It all depends on the pandemic trajectory. Airlines had been issuing waivers month-by-month. Now it's apparent this isn't just going to blow over and travel isn't returning to normal for the summer travel season.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:17 pm

I booked two award flights October 2019 on QR using AA miles originally for March/April 2020. I changed those flights in early January to October 2020. Is there anyway I can change the flights to prior to September 30th now and qualify for the change/cancellation waiver? I assume my original date of purchase would remain October 2019 even if I changed my flights today? Hoping someone with more experience can offer some guidance before I call in. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
You know back in the 60s and 70s no change fees. Airlines making a ton of money on them. If you do them on line why charge or no more then 25 bucks not 300.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I rebooked a Memorial Day Weekend flight for a cheaper rate on March 20--I still have not received the travel voucher email (just an email on March 27 saying they are working on it). Anyone have time frames for how long it takes to receive this credit?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:28 pm

Lets say in Jan of this year I booked a flight for June, and it cost $1k. Now the flight costs $500.

It qualifies for waiver now. Does it make sense/is it possible to cancel my flight, get a $1k credit, and use it to buy the $500 flight, and have $500 credit leftover? Would I still be able to cancel the $500 flight for free, or would I have to pay a $200 fee, in the event that travel is still bad in June?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver

For existing travel

For new travel purchases

Is the press release quoted here different from what is currently being shown on aa.com? This press release seems to make clear that any travel through September (if booked before April) can be extended until the end of 2021, regardless of when the ticket expires. But the website is still carrying language that says the extension through December 2021 only applies to tickets expiring by September 2020. Meaning that they havent ditched the one-year to travel rule for tickets expiring in the rest of 2020 and into 2021. Am I missing something, or confused, but it seems these two policies conflict.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...us-updates.jsp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.