Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased on or before 7 Apr for travel through 7 Sep 2020 (Coronavirus)

American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers Traveling This Summer link

Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 7:00 PM

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility for customers in light of concerns around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

For existing travel

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who have summer travel through Sept. 30, 2020. The offer is available for any of Americans fares, and customers will have until Dec. 31, 2021, for future travel. Fare rules may apply depending on the ticket.
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • All AAdvantage award tickets are included in this offer.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer.
  • Travel must be completed by Dec. 31, 2021.

For new travel purchases

American has also extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase new travel through May 31, 2020. Customers will have even more flexibility since any ticket purchased by May 31, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. The offer is available for any of Americans published nonrefundable fares.
  • Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT through May 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.
  • This is available for any of Americans nonrefundable published fares.
Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.

PREVIOUSLY

AA just posted this: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Extending-Change-Fee-Waivers-for-Customers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/ FORT WORTH, Texas American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility in light of concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19).

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31. The offer is available for any of Americans fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts, including international travel waivers that are available for travel through May 31, can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
  • Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of Americans fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date whichever is sooner.

Print Wikipost

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by stheller
I just went to "my trips" and clicked "cancel" for a normal award flight.
It said I could cancel but there might be a fee to reinstate the miles.
Did you see that message?
Yes, I saw that message, too. And btw I finally got thru to an agent. Be prepared to provide the ticket number (it is in the cancellation email). He offered to refund the miles without the reinstatement fee waived without me even asking. He did have to queue it for manual processing and said it would take 24 hours. Oh and the TSA tax will be refunded to my credit card.

I checked (31 hours) and still no miles redeposited but will give them a few more days since there is so much cancellation volume.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by John26
Yes, I saw that message, too. And btw I finally got thru to an agent. Be prepared to provide the ticket number (it is in the cancellation email). He offered to refund the miles without the reinstatement fee waived without me even asking. He did have to queue it for manual processing and said it would take 24 hours. Oh and the TSA tax will be refunded to my credit card.

I checked (31 hours) and still no miles redeposited but will give them a few more days since there is so much cancellation volume.
I eventually called and explained that I couldn't visit my mother as planned because her apartment building is locked down.
The agent said she would reinstate the miles with no redeposit fee.
I haven't seen the miles back yet but I understand they are behind.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by stheller; Mar 21, 2020 at 10:16 am Reason: Added further detail
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Any data points for using the credit for a booking for more than one person to avoid losing the remainder of the ticket value?

For example, ticket worth $1000 cancelled, making a new booking with two persons with tickets at $500 each?

Last edited by HeartFist; Mar 21, 2020 at 12:57 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by Matt Rich
When you think about it, unlike a cash ticket where they won't refund you, but give you a credit to use in the future, miles back is your credit on web special and award flights.

So ironically the non refundable web special ends up better than a cash ticket.
I agree! It's pretty ironic when you think about it. But no other way to manage it since they are market specific fares.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The thread title has been changed to reflect changes in this policy, currently extended through May 31.

The current information has been added to a Wikipost.

txpenny and donotblink like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Qantas have announced that they're grounding all international flights through May 31, and I'm scheduled to fly LAX-MEL on May 1 (on a ticket bought through AA). However, the flight hasn't been "cancelled" yet. Will an AAgent be willing to refund me the fare, or is my only option the cancel-and-rebook with a voucher?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:38 pm

I eventually called and explained that I couldn't visit my mother as planned because her apartment building is locked down.
I called last night. Agent said my miles would be reinstated within 24 hours but also said it may only take 1 hour. It has been 22 hours now and my miles have still not been reinstated. I would expect that this is taking longer than usual because of the high volume of requests they are obviously getting.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
presumably, but this is valid for all routes through the end of schedule...that's super valuable...book anything you think you might want to take and know there won't be a $200 change fee!
yeah but you still have to pay add collect if fares go up
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
"Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer."

Well, not for my attempted change of my April 13 flight BNA-PIT to DEN-PIT in August. Still wants to collect a $200 change fee. WTH?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:33 pm

I apologize for the basic question, but after reading information on the AA website and here on the forum I am still not clear on an answer for the below:

Can I book AA metal tickets for say Thanksgiving or Christmas, and then at ANY point between now and travel date cancel the tickets with no fee and have a credit in the amount of the ticket that I can use in the future (up to one year after date of original travel)?

Second, can I purchase an award Web Special ticket and also cancel at any time before travel date and have miles refunded to account with no fees?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jhartvu
Qantas have announced that they're grounding all international flights through May 31, and I'm scheduled to fly LAX-MEL on May 1 (on a ticket bought through AA). However, the flight hasn't been "cancelled" yet. Will an AAgent be willing to refund me the fare, or is my only option the cancel-and-rebook with a voucher?
Is your flight operated by Qantas? If so then a cancelled flight would warrant a refund when cancellation updates in AA.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold
Just adding to thread. I had award tickets booked through AA using points to go to Japan (Operated by JAL) this upcoming Wednesday. I called AA this morning and they cancelled and redeposited all the miles and didn't any mention off deposit fees or charges or anything. They did mention it might take 5-7 days for the points to come back, however.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
deleted....

Last edited by fwfdan; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:43 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
My miles are back as of this morning.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:07 pm

Does anyone know if they only allow one change or multiple times if booked prior to March 1?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.