Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased on or before 7 Apr for travel through 7 Sep 2020 (Coronavirus)

American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers Traveling This Summer link

Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 7:00 PM

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility for customers in light of concerns around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

For existing travel

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who have summer travel through Sept. 30, 2020. The offer is available for any of Americans fares, and customers will have until Dec. 31, 2021, for future travel. Fare rules may apply depending on the ticket.
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • All AAdvantage award tickets are included in this offer.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer.
  • Travel must be completed by Dec. 31, 2021.

For new travel purchases

American has also extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase new travel through May 31, 2020. Customers will have even more flexibility since any ticket purchased by May 31, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. The offer is available for any of Americans published nonrefundable fares.
  • Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT through May 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.
  • This is available for any of Americans nonrefundable published fares.
Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.

PREVIOUSLY

AA just posted this: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Extending-Change-Fee-Waivers-for-Customers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/ FORT WORTH, Texas American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility in light of concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19).

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31. The offer is available for any of Americans fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts, including international travel waivers that are available for travel through May 31, can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
  • Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of Americans fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date whichever is sooner.

Print Wikipost

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ABQ Jon
I have a nonrefundable ticket on AA in April for an event that's now been canceled. The ticket was purchased in January. As far as I can tell it meets all the criteria for a change fee waiver. But when I attempt to change it online (new trip in June), the $200 is added if I change the destination. The other notice says that changes to origin/destination are allowed. Is this something that can only be done on the phone by an agent?

I can wait for the dust to settle and don't need to clog up the phone lines right now, but curious whether I've misunderstood the criteria.
Wake up in the middle of the night, use the bathroom, then give AA a call . I called about 4:30 AM. and no wait. CSR picked up phone.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
Originally Posted by seawolf
You can apply the $700 ticket to a new itinerary for $300 but you forfeit the $400 difference.

Refer to https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...on-policy.html
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
Ive been told two different things by Chase about my American Airlines ticket that I canceled. I was told when I was ready to rebook another flight that the credit would be with American Airlines and you have my newly purchased ticket was cheaper I would get another voucher with a remainder. Then I was told by Chase that the credit will be through them and if the ticket is cheaper a forfeit the amount of a difference. They are so screwed up
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Carter29072
Ive been told two different things by Chase about my American Airlines ticket that I canceled. I was told when I was ready to rebook another flight that the credit would be with American Airlines and you have my newly purchased ticket was cheaper I would get another voucher with a remainder. Then I was told by Chase that the credit will be through them and if the ticket is cheaper a forfeit the amount of a difference. They are so screwed up
We need data points from anyone who cancelled a ticket. Did AA told them to refer back to original ticket number when rebooking or did AA provide a voucher (with new ticket number)? If the former, then written policy indicate the residual is forfeit if new ticket is lower fare.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:11 pm

is there any difference between cancelling online and on phone?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
You need/must keep track of ticket numbers as the record locator will be wiped a number of days after original departure date has elapsed.
IME the agents will still be able to figure it out even long after the travel date, but it's a lot easier to just use the ticket numbers.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by John26
has anyone had success getting the mileage redeposit fee waived for cancelling a Websaver award ticket under this waiver? I saw the post above but that sounded like a regular award ticket. I already cancelled my flight next week for a cruise that was cancelled, but can't get through to anyone to redeposit the miles.
On another thread, a couple of people mentioned that they cancelled a Web Saver award ticket and got the $5.60 refunded and the miles reinstated without any redeposit fee. I'm not sure if that policy is across-the-board or if it depends on the agent you are speaking to, however.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Did AA issue a voucher? If the instructions to rebook involve the referencing the original ticket number as you had originally, then you definitely forfeit if new fare is lower.

If AA did exchange your original ticket for a voucher (different number than original ticket) then whatever rules on voucher would apply.
In this case it is sounding like both. The issue is, the voucher (I am supposedly issued) was for a ticket I booked directly with AA, and the non-voucher was through an OTA so I'm only getting the information passed. But, the way the OTA agent explained it to me, I still could use the residual value of the ticket later on, which sounds like a voucher (?) but then she explained I would have to pay for the change fee, this is why I am confused, sounds like I am getting a blend of answers at least from the agent, but the amount leftover I am not going to fret it at this point.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:15 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Just spent a very frustrating 30 mins on the phone with AA for my trip back to the UK in April. First agent was clueless. They would only agree to give me a flight credit that would expire at the end of June (booked the flights almost a year ago) and they would refund the $75 miles and copay (on an international flight?). I was then passed to a manager. They suggested that they could cancel and provide a travel voucher that had 1 year of validity from today, but could not apply it to a trip that I currently have on hold from earlier today.The flight on hold has confirmable C space, so Im not going to take a voucher if I cant apply it, or cant have a 24 hr cool off period to cancel if the C space is no longer available after booking. They did suggest that I hold off until the flight in mid April is officially cancelled, even though she and I know that it is already toast.

Fingers crossed my April trip gets put out of its misery ASAP, I get a refund and can rebook new flights with C space still available.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by John26
has anyone had success getting the mileage redeposit fee waived for cancelling a Websaver award ticket under this waiver? I saw the post above but that sounded like a regular award ticket. I already cancelled my flight next week for a cruise that was cancelled, but can't get through to anyone to redeposit the miles.
I got 12k miles back today from a web special ticket cancelled at 5:00 am Saturday morning.

So yes, no fee.

When you think about it, unlike a cash ticket where they won't refund you, but give you a credit to use in the future, miles back is your credit on web special and award flights.

So ironically the non refundable web special ends up better than a cash ticket.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Matt Rich
I got 12k miles back today from a web special ticket cancelled at 5:00 am Saturday morning.

So yes, no fee.

When you think about it, unlike a cash ticket where they won't refund you, but give you a credit to use in the future, miles back is your credit on web special and award flights.

So ironically the non refundable web special ends up better than a cash ticket.
I just went to "my trips" and clicked "cancel" for a normal award flight.
It said I could cancel but there might be a fee to reinstate the miles.
Did you see that message?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:29 pm

I messaged them on Twitter abut canceling a Web Special and was told $150 reinstatement fee and that I had to call up. Compared to Delta, AA have been an absolute disgrace.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cfbaec
Similar situation here too; outbound Apr 27 inbound May 1st. Has anyone managed to get through to AA to find out whether this waiver applies when only the outbound flight is within the stated waiver dates?
I did contact AA and I was told the waiver applies as long as the outbound flight was by April 30th. Good news for some of us.
cfbaec likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:39 pm

So if you were given a travel voucher for a trip you cancelled, and the travel voucher expire end of July. Are you .... out of luck if you cant travel any time before July? There has to be some loopholes to extend the voucher. Quite unfair. They should have made it expire 2 years from ticket issue date.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by avidchurner
So if you were given a travel voucher for a trip you cancelled, and the travel voucher expire end of July. Are you .... out of luck if you cant travel any time before July? There has to be some loopholes to extend the voucher. Quite unfair. They should have made it expire 2 years from ticket issue date.
QR are offering a flight voucher that is valid for 1 full year from the date you cancel your original flight. They are also extending status for their FF by 6 months, but that is for another topic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.