Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased on or before 7 Apr for travel through 7 Sep 2020 (Coronavirus)

American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers Traveling This Summer — link

Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 7:00 PM

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility for customers in light of concerns around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

For existing travel

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who have summer travel through Sept. 30, 2020. The offer is available for any of American’s fares, and customers will have until Dec. 31, 2021, for future travel. Fare rules may apply depending on the ticket.
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • All AAdvantage® award tickets are included in this offer.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer.
  • Travel must be completed by Dec. 31, 2021.

For new travel purchases

American has also extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase new travel through May 31, 2020. Customers will have even more flexibility since any ticket purchased by May 31, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. The offer is available for any of American’s published nonrefundable fares.
  • Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT through May 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.
  • This is available for any of American’s nonrefundable published fares.
Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.

PREVIOUSLY

AA just posted this: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Extending-Change-Fee-Waivers-for-Customers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/ FORT WORTH, Texas —American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility in light of concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19).

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31. The offer is available for any of American’s fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts, including international travel waivers that are available for travel through May 31, can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
  • Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of American’s fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date — whichever is sooner.

Print Wikipost

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 9:40 am

I have a question on the policy for changes through September. Does the change/cancellation need to be made by May 31, or is it any point up to the date of travel? I bought a flight in January for travel in September. I am almost certainly not going to travel on this flight. Do I need to cancel by May 31, or can I wait until closer to September (in case I decide to go, or alternatively, if flight schedules change that would permit a refund instead)?
Old May 25, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Any speculation on whether AA will extend the change fee waiver for tickets booked after May 31? Although there may be a few glimmers of hope, the go-forward situation is hardly more certain than it was a month ago. I can see them not extending it for domestic trips but I can't see anyone booking an international flight right now that was subject to a hefty change fee.

(I probably should post this on the DL forum, because the correct answer is no doubt "when Delta extends the waiver AA will".)
Old May 26, 2020, 1:53 pm

Hello. I skimmed several pages and did not find an answer, my searching skills did not lead to a result either.

I purchased a flight for me and my wife on March 16 for a July wedding. The wedding has not been canceled, but the cost of the two tickets is now 50% of what I paid. I can just cancel the tickets, get a voucher and then use the voucher to rebuy the same flights, or make a small change? Will AA care that I cancel and then at a later time buy new tickets for the same destination/similar times and dates?

If not I can just pay cash for the new flights and then at a later time use the voucher, right?

I am AA Platnum, but i dont think it makes a difference.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AEsco48
Hello. I skimmed several pages and did not find an answer, my searching skills did not lead to a result either.

I purchased a flight for me and my wife on March 16 for a July wedding. The wedding has not been canceled, but the cost of the two tickets is now 50% of what I paid. I can just cancel the tickets, get a voucher and then use the voucher to rebuy the same flights, or make a small change? Will AA care that I cancel and then at a later time buy new tickets for the same destination/similar times and dates?

If not I can just pay cash for the new flights and then at a later time use the voucher, right?

I am AA Platnum, but i dont think it makes a difference.
Don't know about AA but DL's T&C's specifically say that if the new ticket is for the same destination and day, and the new fare is lower, then they make it an even exchange. No voucher for the difference.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
Any speculation on whether AA will extend the change fee waiver for tickets booked after May 31? Although there may be a few glimmers of hope, the go-forward situation is hardly more certain than it was a month ago. I can see them not extending it for domestic trips but I can't see anyone booking an international flight right now that was subject to a hefty change fee.
Just announced today. Waiver for purchases through June 30: Newsroom - American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers in June - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
For the adventurous, there are great deals out there. I recently booked trips to PVR, CUN, and SJD, in Feb, Mar, and Apr 2021 respectively, and they were all less than 300 in BE, less than 350 in Main cabin, and less than 600 in paid F.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:10 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Has anyone had any experience rebooking/rescheduling AA flights booked on other airlines?

I booked a flight for next week using BA Avios. I would like to bring the departure date up by one day, but when I use the self-service "Change Trip" function on AA.com, I get an error message stating that "We didn't find a match". Ditto for my return flight that I used an AA voucher for. Am I getting this message because I didn't pay for either of the trips outright with money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.