Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1–Sep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11–May 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1–March 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1–April 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020–Jan 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27–Apr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27–June 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24–May 1, rebooked travel Feb 24–June 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28–July 1, rebooked travel Jan 28–Aug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24–Oct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1–Dec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23–Mar 31

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 – May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 – April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

• AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code ’001’. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with ‘001’) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantage® award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Dear All,
This is a source of much information, but I really would not know where the questions that I wish to ask are there. BA have just cancelled my flights to the US. I have three sectors booked on AA all on different PNRs. They are all booked in I class and are all domestic sectors

What I would like to know is this

1) Can I cancel and get a refund? I would have thought not - but I know that someone here will know

2) I think from what I read that I can cancel the trip and then rebook it - however what happens if I no longer wish to fly the sectors that I am cancelling - can the money be used towards different sectors? If I was due to fly SEA - ORD could I book JFK - MIA and pay any difference in fare?

I have checked and none of my flights all of which are due for September have been altered or cancelled by AA. I intend to wait to see if this happens first and cancel or whatever nearer the time unless it is more advantageous to do now.

Many Thanks in advance
If there hasn't been a schedule change then you probably wouldn't be able to get a refund. However, it would depend on the specific fare rules. If the AA tickets were originally issued before 8th April then the change needs to be at least 60 minutes whereas on or after 8th April it's a 4-hour change. Given that AA are continuing to make schedule adjustments I would probably hold off making a decision just now.

In terms of changing the origin and destination, I would say yes but would probably check first. AA's website specifically says that "You're allowed to change your origin and destination cities" but that I don't think that was originally the case when they first issued the waiver. For example, I wasn't able to use a UK - US ticket to subsequently purchase a US - UK one. I had to put it in for a refund which then went back on to my UK credit card and book a brand new ticket.

I am sure someone a little more knowledgeable will be able to comment more definitively.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Dear All,
This is a source of much information, but I really would not know where the questions that I wish to ask are there. BA have just cancelled my flights to the US. I have three sectors booked on AA all on different PNRs. They are all booked in I class and are all domestic sectors

What I would like to know is this

1) Can I cancel and get a refund? I would have thought not - but I know that someone here will know

2) I think from what I read that I can cancel the trip and then rebook it - however what happens if I no longer wish to fly the sectors that I am cancelling - can the money be used towards different sectors? If I was due to fly SEA - ORD could I book JFK - MIA and pay any difference in fare?

I have checked and none of my flights all of which are due for September have been altered or cancelled by AA. I intend to wait to see if this happens first and cancel or whatever nearer the time unless it is more advantageous to do now.

Many Thanks in advance
Dear Pucci,

If you purchased flights from AA, and one of them is cancelled, you are certainly entitled to cancel and get a full refund from AA. What you do with the refunded money is entirely up to you; if you take the refund as a voucher, there will be general limitations on its use. Certainly, you can book JFK-MIA as a new reservation.

If, instead, you try work with AA to salvage the existing itinerary, you can change end points, but I think they have to be within 300 miles of the original; JFK-MIA would be Right Out.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Good Day,

just wondering if I understand the AA policies correct

- We booked a flight from SYD to New York via LAX with AA in September 2019 to fly in March 2020
- we cancelled our flights the day before the departure due to the Virus and travel warnings from Australia (but none of the AA flights had been cancelled at that stage) and now have a flight credit to use by the end of 2021
- AA told me that I can only use the voucher for flights charged in AUD leaving SYD-LAX as the only option to start my journey.

Here is my question:
If I book a new trip with that voucher for mid 2021:
- I guess the PNR will stay the same?
- as the original booking was made in September 2019, does the 1hr rule apply to flight changes or the new rule from 08.04.2020 with the 4hr rule with a booking made with the voucher?
- if the new booking made with the voucher entitles me to cancel the booking due to flight changes etc., will I get the money back (the original form of payment for the September 2019 booking) or will I get another voucher?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisW.
Good Day,

- We booked a flight from SYD to New York via LAX with AA in September 2019 to fly in March 2020
- we cancelled our flights the day before the departure due to the Virus and travel warnings from Australia (but none of the AA flights had been cancelled at that stage) and now have a flight credit to use by the end of 2021
- AA told me that I can only use the voucher for flights charged in AUD leaving SYD-LAX as the only option to start my journey.

Here is my question:
- as the original booking was made in September 2019, does the 1hr rule apply to flight changes or the new rule from 08.04.2020 with the 4hr rule with a booking made with the voucher?
- if the new booking made with the voucher entitles me to cancel the booking due to flight changes etc., will I get the money back (the original form of payment for the September 2019 booking) or will I get another voucher?
No, you'll have a brand-new PNR with the date of that booking setting the calendar. The voucher is good for one year from its date of issue. Dates of the cancelled trip have no bearing.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EP
I doubt u would get your money back as the original FOP was an exchange from a pNR that u canceled.

Good Day,

Here is my question:
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Good Day,

Here is my question:
Refunds are always to original form of payment. Original means FOP of the 1st issued ticket, in this case the one you have right now. If that was CC then CC, if paypal, PayPal. You only get a refund if change is big enough.

You should be able to use the ticket for any AA isued ticket, as long as it's priced in AUD. There's no restrictions on must book SYD-LAX. You could book DFW-LHR if you book it in AUD. AA agents in US likely have no clue/way to do this. However an agent for AA in Australia should have no issue.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Refunds are always to original form of payment. Original means FOP of the 1st issued ticket, in this case the one you have right now. If that was CC then CC, if paypal, PayPal. You only get a refund if change is big enough.

You should be able to use the ticket for any AA isued ticket, as long as it's priced in AUD. There's no restrictions on must book SYD-LAX. You could book DFW-LHR if you book it in AUD. AA agents in US likely have no clue/way to do this. However an agent for AA in Australia should have no issue.
That would be great. I am in a tricky situation.
A) There are no SYD-LAX flights to at least April at the moment and I have to use my voucher/ticket value by the end of December 2021 - annoying as we have a reason why we wanted to go in March 2019, then March 2020 and if possible now March 2021. Should I wait and hope that they extend the validity as there is no flights from SYD anytime soon (before mid-2021) and we want to go in March?

B) Should I just book a routing for like June 2021 on AA from SYD with short connections within the US hoping that they change the flight times and I can cancel for free and get my money back as that was the original form of payment for the 1st ticket? (it is about $3500, so def. worth a refund)
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
A) There are no SYD-LAX flights to at least April at the moment and I have to use my voucher/ticket value by the end of December 2021 - annoying as we have a reason why we wanted to go in March 2019, then March 2020 and if possible now March 2021. Should I wait and hope that they extend the validity as there is no flights from SYD anytime soon (before mid-2021) and we want to go in March?

B) Should I just book a routing for like June 2021 on AA from SYD with short connections within the US hoping that they change the flight times and I can cancel for free and get my money back as that was the original form of payment for the 1st ticket? (it is about $3500, so def. worth a refund)
I'm confused by A. March is before December, thus should be no issue. As for There's no need to book ticket from SYD. The ticket just needs to be priced in AUD. Easiest way to do that (without bookingbSYD-LAX) is to get an AA agent in Australia to do the booking. I've had similar issue in past with tickets in CAD. Agent had to price new ticket in CAD, but had zero clue how. I finally called I believe Singapore(?) who was able to handle very quickly. It's just not something that comes up often. Thus US agents have little experience/ need to learn how.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:36 pm

Sorry here is the right version, messed up the dates.

A) There are no SYD-LAX flights to at least April 2021 at the moment and I have to use my voucher/ticket value by the end of December 2021 - annoying as we have a reason why we wanted to go in March 2020, then March 2021 (no flights) and if possible now March 2022. Should I wait and hope that they extend the validity as there is no flights from SYD anytime soon (before mid-2021) and we want to go in March?

So have to use voucher before end of 2021 but want to fly March 2022

Last edited by ChrisW.; Aug 2, 2020 at 4:22 pm
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:37 am

I booked an award ticket back in February 2020 for travel in December 2020. I have Platinum status. Under the "old" rules, I could change the dates without changing the origin or destination, for no charge, but I believe that cancelling and reinstating the miles incurred a fee.

Would any of the COVID-related changes alter the requirement that reinstating the miles would incur a fee?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Back in January, before all this started, I booked HSV-DFW-HND-BKK and BKK-HND-DFW-HSV on AA, through the AA website, for late August. Straight-up paid tickets, no miles involved, paid through a Chase credit card (no affiliation with AA).

The DFW-HND, HND-BKK, BKK-HND, and HND-DFW legs were all JL codeshares.

When Thailand closed their borders, JL cancelled the HND-BKK and BKK-HND flights. The DFW-HND and HND-DFW flights are still there, but Japan has closed their borders as well. AA is now showing my destination as "Bangkok, Japan" (yes, really!), but has not cancelled the trip.

As I read it, there is zero chance that Thailand or Japan will open their borders in time for the trip as planned. What are my options?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by zarkov505
Back in January, before all this started, I booked HSV-DFW-HND-BKK and BKK-HND-DFW-HSV on AA, through the AA website, for late August. Straight-up paid tickets, no miles involved, paid through a Chase credit card (no affiliation with AA).

The DFW-HND, HND-BKK, BKK-HND, and HND-DFW legs were all JL codeshares.

When Thailand closed their borders, JL cancelled the HND-BKK and BKK-HND flights. The DFW-HND and HND-DFW flights are still there, but Japan has closed their borders as well. AA is now showing my destination as "Bangkok, Japan" (yes, really!), but has not cancelled the trip.

As I read it, there is zero chance that Thailand or Japan will open their borders in time for the trip as planned. What are my options?
Sometimes it takes a few days for codeshare cancellations to trickle through to partner airlines (7 days at most I think), but with a cancellation you'll be allowed a full refund when it populates through AA's booking system. If you're in a hurry to get your money back then call then.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by avatexrs
I booked an award ticket back in February 2020 for travel in December 2020. I have Platinum status. Under the "old" rules, I could change the dates without changing the origin or destination, for no charge, but I believe that cancelling and reinstating the miles incurred a fee.

Would any of the COVID-related changes alter the requirement that reinstating the miles would incur a fee?
I can confirm that any outstanding award ticket can be cancelled and miles reinstated without a fee. Miles were back into my account in less than 10 minutes.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT
With the recent warming of relations between AA and AS, is there any chance AA would endorse an award ticket to AS? They made a 3.5 hour schedule change over the weekend to a flight in less than a week and it looks like AA eliminated at least one, if not two banks at ORD so pickings are pretty slim.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello, does anyone know how long it is taking for AA to process a refund? My flights were cancelled and I called reservations who cancelled the booking. They told me I then had to go to their web site and request a cash refund, which I did. The agent told me that the request goes into a queue for someone to validate the request before it is processed. The status of my request is still showing as 'pending review'. I appreciate there will be a backlog given the number of requests that must being submitted, but I was just interested to know how long it generally takes to have the request reviewed and processed? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.