Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1–Sep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11–May 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1–March 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1–April 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020–Jan 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27–Apr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27–June 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24–May 1, rebooked travel Feb 24–June 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28–July 1, rebooked travel Jan 28–Aug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24–Oct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1–Dec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23–Mar 31

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 – May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 – April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

• AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code ’001’. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with ‘001’) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantage® award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:18 pm

deleted
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
We have a trip planned for MCI-MIA in late July. It's an as-yet-unchanged itin, but it's an award "web special". If I decide to change it to a later date, do I have to find seats in a specific fare bucket? Or do I have to cancel it and start over, paying whatever the going rate is? There is no "change" option, presumably because it's a "web special", even though I'm not really sure what fare bucket that is or how it differs from a regular award.
FWIW, I canceled it online, had the miles automatically back in my account within the hour, and booked a whole new trip. Did it yesterday, while the more-generous rebooking rules for awards were in effect.

The "web special" bit wasn't an issue. Although AA had changed flight times and numbers on the itin a couple times, that did not pose any problems.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
I have several cancelled domestic flights for this summer that were booked about 8 months in advance. So our cancelled May 2, 2020 flight was booked on Nov 14 2019.

Is there a time frame restriction for using the credits to re-book new flights for travel thru Dec 31, 2021? Specifically, do I have to re-book before Nov 14, 2020 - which is 1 year from the original booking date? Just want to make sure I understand the "rules"?

I had an AA rep tell me 2 days ago when I cancelled an Aug flight, that re-booking had to occur within 1 year from the original ticket booking date? During a follow-up phone call to obtain the original booking dates for my cancelled tickets, the Rep stated that the first rep was wrong and there is NO 1- year restriction on re-booking flights. So just trying to be careful and ascertain if there is consensus based on what others have been told.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:43 am

I have a family trip from GSP-SAN booked for August. They are Main Cabin tickets. As I had hoped, there were major schedule changes over the weekend which would allow me to cancel the tickets for a refund. Tickets were originally purchased April 2020. Given that they are probably going to tighten up COVID restrictions in San Diego starting this week we are going to reschedule for either November or April. I am horribly confused about AA's waiver policy. Would someone be able to let me know if my thought process is correct?

I would be better off to cancel the existing flights for a refund and then rebook.
Changing dates on my existing reservation to the new travel dates would count as my one "free" change and I would no longer have the ability to change the new reservations without paying change fees. In other words, if things are not better by November I would lose flexibility to rebook again without paying fees.

The new waiver policy in effect July 1 does not seem to have a date limit on ticket changes. So if I cancel the current flight and rebook, I would still be have the flexibility to make one change without incurring fees.

Either way- if I cancel for a refund and then rebook, don't I get two "free" changes versus one?

Maybe I am just over thinking this! Thanks for reading.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The best advice in this case is wait until closer to the date. You already know you don't want to take the August trip, but you don't know when you want to rebook for. Chances are still high that one or more of your flights will be cancelled or rescheduled, in which case you could get your money back and be able to start from scratch, or get one involuntary change. Patience, yours is a waiting game. If they haven't cancelled/moved your flights by a week before (10 days if you're anxious), only then should you phone in and ask for your options.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:23 am

How long are refunds taking currently? I submitted some tickets for refunds on July 1st and they are pending review. I know the holiday weekend will impact how fast they are reviewed. Just curious when to expect a response.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
AA just cancelled the 9:15 DFW-HNL-KOA for Nov 10, I had purchased 2 F tickets for $2200, they want to put us on the 11:15 so we wouldn’t get to KOA until 6 pm instead of 3:45. Can I simply ask for a refund then book DFW-PHX-KOA for $1450 - I’m kind of torn because we wanted to travel on a 2 isle plane from DFW-HNL?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Have not been following corona AA issues so sorry for what is probably a repititious question.

I have a paid trip booked for September with family, all segments were upgraded with SWUs (some will now have expired).

I want to rebook for December, not lose the expired SWUs, not lose the previous C availability that allowed me to upgrade in first place.

What are my options, besides refund and starting from scratch?

Can I change destination? (E.g. LHR/CDG)

They just made changes to the flights, albeit not major (although a forced overnight stay in the wrong connecting city)
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Seems this is more suitable in this thread:
Got a Hawaii trip canceled (without) notification so far.
What's the "latest status" on the best way of getting a refund for a canceled itinerary?
Cancel yourself online and going via this "prefunds.aa.com" website and hoping for the best that it really will get you the money back or call them?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jkenn
How long are refunds taking currently? I submitted some tickets for refunds on July 1st and they are pending review. I know the holiday weekend will impact how fast they are reviewed. Just curious when to expect a response.
Very strange on my most recent refund last month. Posted in three installments at between ten and 17 days. Two more trips cancelled by AA over the July 4th weekend. I phoned in the refund requests and was told it could take three weeks due to the high volume.
jkenn likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:35 am

UIO and GYE?

We cancelled our November Galapagos cruise with the cruise line.

AAL tickets were CLT-MIA-UIO and return via GYE-DFW-CLT.

The July 1 announcement American Airlines Resets International Network for Remainder of 2020 Through Summer 2021 is silent on routes to/from Ecuador.

Anyone have information about AAL service to Quito or Guayaquil?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Little anecdote relevant to this thread.

Grabbed a basic economy fare to SEA several months ago...last week, while examining my upcoming travel on the AA website that particular record locator had simply disappeared from the list. Found it in the original email and called AA. Up to now, most of the stuff has been abandoning nonstops and substituting connections. One international award was odd. first abandoned the DFW connection for a MIA connection, then abandoned the route entirely, leaving me with a halfway itinerary. Not sure how the system would have responded on checkin day. No alert about any of these changes.

This SEA trip was interesting from a business standpoint. The agent examined the record and said, "it looks like a schedule change and you have been rebooked on the 11 or 12 ish flight from 9am flight. Not sure what is going on here since the 9am flight is still scheduled (A321service). Let me put you back on the flight you purchased." Assuming AA did this to open a seat on the earlier flight---may have been first departure from DFW for SEA--they could sell at a higher fare. Been a long time since that has happened...Seems like UA under Smisek was more prone to those tactics. I did complain to the agent about the utter lack of notification, comparing it to AA's history where they would alert you almost immediately after the schedule change. She admitted something to the effect, "we are changing things so many times, just easier to wait until a few days before departure before sending something out"
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Have not been following corona AA issues so sorry for what is probably a repititious question.

I have a paid trip booked for September with family, all segments were upgraded with SWUs (some will now have expired).

I want to rebook for December, not lose the expired SWUs, not lose the previous C availability that allowed me to upgrade in first place.

What are my options, besides refund and starting from scratch?

Can I change destination? (E.g. LHR/CDG)

They just made changes to the flights, albeit not major (although a forced overnight stay in the wrong connecting city)
Bumping this.
Will I lose my SWUs?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:30 am

AA.com says for new travel booked by July 31, 2020, AA is "expanding our offer to waive change fees for travel October 1, 2020, and later." I read that to mean, if I buy a ticket before 7/31/20 for travel AFTER 10/1/2020, I could change the ticket for free (paying the fare difference). However, AA's travel alert page says "no change fee if you bought your ticket before July 31, 2020" if you "Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020." I can't find any further info about fee free changes for travel after 10/1/2020. Does anyone have a link to the waiver terms & conditions for this policy?

Thanks.
KBRDU likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:18 pm

If i rebook a flight with a travel credit that is cheaper than the original booking, will I keep the difference as change on the voucher?

If so, can that small amount be combined with another travel credit to apply to a separate booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.