FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2008440-aa-trip-cancellation-coronavirus-discussion-questions.html)

Desirees Feb 10, 2020 7:16 am

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Had award tickets in J booked - parents were meeting us in Cambodia - we were to do travel through Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand and then go into Peking for a day and then fly back. Once the coronavirus news hit and it looked like it was spreading, we decided parents were not going to come since Dad has a lung issue and would be high risk. We are relatively healthy so decided we would still go.

As April draws closer, wanted to see if anyone with plans to be in that region are moving/canceling or still sticking to their plans?

mcrw00 Feb 10, 2020 7:51 am

I have plans to do a trip there in May and so far have no intention of canceling. We would probably only cancel if there is a full-blown outbreak in one of the countries on our list.

Unterwegs Feb 10, 2020 8:35 am

I have a trip in late april planned to Hong Kong, Thailand and Vietnam - nothing booked yet. I am planning to go unless the number of cases increases dramatically. Just watching for now and make a decision early April.

erik123 Feb 10, 2020 9:03 am

It's a it early to tell but I would err on the side of caution and make plans for alternatives. If transmissions accelerate health services could be quickly overwhelmed. I would recommend against countries with limited health infrastructure - e.g. Cambodia.

36902BRF Feb 10, 2020 9:22 am

I am considering cancelling a March trip. Less due to direct concerns about the Coronavirus and more due to the seeming meltdown of CX. They have suspended flights from my home airport as of last week but no communications or rebooking from them yet and there is no easy rerouting since CX doesn't fly out of any nearby airports.Even if I like their rebooking (which seems like a long shot based on what I see as possibilities) they are in such seeming disarray at this point I am not sure I trust them to deliver even that.

golfingboy Feb 10, 2020 9:33 am

We are heading to Bali/Gili/Singapore in early May and have no intention of cancelling unless the situation gets much worse. It’s not even remotely as dangerous as the influenza which is much more widespread - just a lot of unknowns and something new which garnered a lot of attention. New cases have started to slow down and should continue to decrease.

dave_261 Feb 10, 2020 9:52 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 32055029)
New cases have started to slow down and should continue to decrease.

Time will tell but as of today this is not the case. And these are just the reported/confirmed cases.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

fotographer Feb 10, 2020 9:59 am

I ,for both of my wife and myself canceled a trip to Hong Kong later this month..
just a shame.. used SWU to F

Kacee Feb 10, 2020 10:18 am

I'm still planning on Thailand in April, but the CX meltdown is a concern. The Tokyo routing now feels much more reliable, though I don't much care for JL business class.

I think mainland China is off the table for quite some time.

Mike Gilbert Feb 10, 2020 10:31 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 32055150)
I ,for both of my wife and myself canceled a trip to Hong Kong later this month..
just a shame.. used SWU to F

Same here, was supposed to depart tomorrow night. SWU to F both ways. Cancelled 2 weeks ago.

D3Kingg Feb 10, 2020 10:42 am

I hear the outbreak will reach its peak in April. If I had a trip in April I would anticipate cancelling but there will plenty of opportunities to rebook a trip down the road. I have an F flight to Hong Kong in September. I hope everything is figured out by then .

RetiredATLATC Feb 10, 2020 11:06 am

I just cancelled our 12 day trip from ATL to PEN on QR in J. There's always (usually) another time to go and have plenty of other vacation trips later in the year.

golfingboy Feb 10, 2020 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dave_261 (Post 32055111)
Time will tell but as of today this is not the case. And these are just the reported/confirmed cases.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

New cases in mainland China - I know the Chinese government are not exactly transparent about things like this and aren't the most trustworthy source, but its what we have:

2/1 - 2,589
2/2 - 2,825
2/3 - 3,233
2/4 - 3,886
2/5 - 3,694
2/6 - 3,143
2/7 - 3,385
2/8 - 2,652
2/9 - 2,973

To me seems to have hit its apex of new cases early last week and now its slowly starting to decline (2/9 is 23% down from an high on 2/4). Also we should start seeing the recovery totals start rising in the next two weeks which will give a more accurate estimate of the survival vs recovery rate. Of course, anything can change but recent trends show that the spread is starting to slow down somewhat.

JuliusFlies666 Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm

My only concern is a potential quarantine period during/after visiting China, not yet worried about Thailand or Vietnam.
Thus, I rebooked a DFW-PEK-CAN-BKK-HAN-CAN-LAX-DFW itinerary to DFW-NRT-BKK-HAN-NRT-DFW to eliminate the stop in China.
Both AA and CZ were very liberal about providing full refunds and rerouting, even allowing me to cancel the LAX-DFW (booked separately from CAN-LAX) as a trip in vain.

Spike01 Feb 10, 2020 12:23 pm

Had planned 3 weeks DLM - SIN - SGN - HUI - HAN - DLM at end March and April but Mrs Spike has indicated her lack of interest as of now. No tickets booked yet thank goodness. Just the hotel in Hanoi which I can cancel or change before mıd-March. (Which is ok because I have no intention of missing the first F1 Grand Prix in Hanoi for which I have already bought a rather expensive ticket!).

Notwithstanding having pointed out to Mrs S., as a comparison with coronavirus, that UK Gov figures show that in e.g. 2018/2019 flu season, in England only, 26,408 deaths associated with influenza were recorded, of which 22,237 were in our age group, 65+.