Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 20, 2:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dstan
Wiki Link
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1亡ep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16邦ay 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16邦ay 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11邦ay 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11邦ay 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1邦arch 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1泡pril 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020褒an 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27泡pr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27褒une 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24邦ay 1, rebooked travel Feb 24褒une 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28褒uly 1, rebooked travel Jan 28泡ug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24飽ct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1縫ec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23邦ar 31

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You池e allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You池e allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or 舛ancel trip in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We値l send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you池e ready to rebook. You値l need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with 001)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a 然ecord Locator)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or 舛ancel trip in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We値l send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you池e ready to rebook. You値l need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with 001)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you池e ready to rebook. You値l need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020邦arch 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020邦arch 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code 001. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with 001) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantageョ award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 10, 20, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Had award tickets in J booked - parents were meeting us in Cambodia - we were to do travel through Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand and then go into Peking for a day and then fly back. Once the coronavirus news hit and it looked like it was spreading, we decided parents were not going to come since Dad has a lung issue and would be high risk. We are relatively healthy so decided we would still go.

As April draws closer, wanted to see if anyone with plans to be in that region are moving/canceling or still sticking to their plans?

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 27, 20 at 12:51 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Feb 10, 20, 7:51 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
I have plans to do a trip there in May and so far have no intention of canceling. We would probably only cancel if there is a full-blown outbreak in one of the countries on our list.
Old Feb 10, 20, 8:35 am

I have a trip in late april planned to Hong Kong, Thailand and Vietnam - nothing booked yet. I am planning to go unless the number of cases increases dramatically. Just watching for now and make a decision early April.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:03 am

It's a it early to tell but I would err on the side of caution and make plans for alternatives. If transmissions accelerate health services could be quickly overwhelmed. I would recommend against countries with limited health infrastructure - e.g. Cambodia.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:22 am

I am considering cancelling a March trip. Less due to direct concerns about the Coronavirus and more due to the seeming meltdown of CX. They have suspended flights from my home airport as of last week but no communications or rebooking from them yet and there is no easy rerouting since CX doesn't fly out of any nearby airports.Even if I like their rebooking (which seems like a long shot based on what I see as possibilities) they are in such seeming disarray at this point I am not sure I trust them to deliver even that.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Feb 10, 20 at 12:26 pm
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:33 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

We are heading to Bali/Gili/Singapore in early May and have no intention of cancelling unless the situation gets much worse. It’s not even remotely as dangerous as the influenza which is much more widespread - just a lot of unknowns and something new which garnered a lot of attention. New cases have started to slow down and should continue to decrease.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:52 am

Programs: AA CK
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
New cases have started to slow down and should continue to decrease.
Time will tell but as of today this is not the case. And these are just the reported/confirmed cases.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I ,for both of my wife and myself canceled a trip to Hong Kong later this month..
just a shame.. used SWU to F
D3KingAmerican and mnhusker like this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I'm still planning on Thailand in April, but the CX meltdown is a concern. The Tokyo routing now feels much more reliable, though I don't much care for JL business class.

I think mainland China is off the table for quite some time.
D3KingAmerican likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
I ,for both of my wife and myself canceled a trip to Hong Kong later this month..
just a shame.. used SWU to F
Same here, was supposed to depart tomorrow night. SWU to F both ways. Cancelled 2 weeks ago.
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:42 am

Programs: Citi AAdvantage
I hear the outbreak will reach its peak in April. If I had a trip in April I would anticipate cancelling but there will plenty of opportunities to rebook a trip down the road. I have an F flight to Hong Kong in September. I hope everything is figured out by then .
Old Feb 10, 20, 11:06 am

I just cancelled our 12 day trip from ATL to PEN on QR in J. There's always (usually) another time to go and have plenty of other vacation trips later in the year.
Old Feb 10, 20, 11:41 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post
Time will tell but as of today this is not the case. And these are just the reported/confirmed cases.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
New cases in mainland China - I know the Chinese government are not exactly transparent about things like this and aren't the most trustworthy source, but its what we have:

2/1 - 2,589
2/2 - 2,825
2/3 - 3,233
2/4 - 3,886
2/5 - 3,694
2/6 - 3,143
2/7 - 3,385
2/8 - 2,652
2/9 - 2,973

To me seems to have hit its apex of new cases early last week and now its slowly starting to decline (2/9 is 23% down from an high on 2/4). Also we should start seeing the recovery totals start rising in the next two weeks which will give a more accurate estimate of the survival vs recovery rate. Of course, anything can change but recent trends show that the spread is starting to slow down somewhat.
Old Feb 10, 20, 12:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP
My only concern is a potential quarantine period during/after visiting China, not yet worried about Thailand or Vietnam.
Thus, I rebooked a DFW-PEK-CAN-BKK-HAN-CAN-LAX-DFW itinerary to DFW-NRT-BKK-HAN-NRT-DFW to eliminate the stop in China.
Both AA and CZ were very liberal about providing full refunds and rerouting, even allowing me to cancel the LAX-DFW (booked separately from CAN-LAX) as a trip in vain.
Old Feb 10, 20, 12:23 pm

Programs: TK
Had planned 3 weeks DLM - SIN - SGN - HUI - HAN - DLM at end March and April but Mrs Spike has indicated her lack of interest as of now. No tickets booked yet thank goodness. Just the hotel in Hanoi which I can cancel or change before mıd-March. (Which is ok because I have no intention of missing the first F1 Grand Prix in Hanoi for which I have already bought a rather expensive ticket!).

Notwithstanding having pointed out to Mrs S., as a comparison with coronavirus, that UK Gov figures show that in e.g. 2018/2019 flu season, in England only, 26,408 deaths associated with influenza were recorded, of which 22,237 were in our age group, 65+.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: