Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1–Sep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11–May 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1–March 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1–April 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020–Jan 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27–Apr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27–June 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24–May 1, rebooked travel Feb 24–June 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28–July 1, rebooked travel Jan 28–Aug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24–Oct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1–Dec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23–Mar 31

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 – May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 – April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

• AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code ’001’. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with ‘001’) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantage® award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Ross0
AA.com says for new travel booked by July 31, 2020, AA is "expanding our offer to waive change fees for travel October 1, 2020, and later." I read that to mean, if I buy a ticket before 7/31/20 for travel AFTER 10/1/2020, I could change the ticket for free (paying the fare difference). However, AA's travel alert page says "no change fee if you bought your ticket before July 31, 2020" if you "Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020." I can't find any further info about fee free changes for travel after 10/1/2020. Does anyone have a link to the waiver terms & conditions for this policy?

Thanks.
Not sure if there are any T&C for the waiver, but pretty much every (non-basic economy) fare that I can find does not include any change fee in the fare rules, even for tickets post-Oct 1st.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:37 pm

Is AA not sending notices to anyone else or flight cancellations or changes? I now have 4 future flights where everything looks fine until I try and manage my trip and the it says to contract reservations. Each time AA has said that my flights were cancelled but that they can’t rebook me so I can only cancel for a refund. The I look and I can book new trips (at great costs) with slightly different routing.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I just cancelled my first post-virus trip. I was going to Vegas (where I had been going every month). But my main reasons to go are to play blackjack and eat in restaurants I like. And everything I hear says that being indoors is like 20 times more dangerous than being outdoors. I'm getting itchy, bored with staying home (although my main hobby, playing bridge, is extremely viable to play online) and I would love to go. But if my choice is to go regularly in 2021-20??, or to go in 2020 and then hang out with my parents after that (both of whom are deceased) I think I'll wait. Maybe if things get under better control I'll take a trip. But I have no idea if that will be ANYTIME this year.

I was departing in 6 days and I did decide, just for grins, to wait a few days to see if I was going to get upgraded. I'm ExPlat and it's an award ticket so I won't have any change fee/redeposit fee issues. I cancelled my hotel and rental car, and I'll cancel the flight maybe the day before - unless I'm mistaken, you can cancel an award ticket anytime until the flight leaves. But I won't push it THAT close.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I had a refund request for an MCE purchase submitted on July 5 (upgraded to Business, but MCE refund was not processed automatically) get processed today, July 14.

Originally Posted by jkenn
How long are refunds taking currently? I submitted some tickets for refunds on July 1st and they are pending review. I know the holiday weekend will impact how fast they are reviewed. Just curious when to expect a response.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:21 pm

Any advice on best way to approach this situation in order to get a refund?

Originally booked flights in Feb 2020 to NRT via DFW, returning a week later from ICN via DFW for my family this September. My conference there has been canceled (and as of now Japan seems to have restricted entry). I would like to get a refund for all tickets if possible.

I logged on today to see that at some point our original outbound flight to DFW was canceled and we were rebooked for a different flight departing 91 minutes later. This makes the DFW connection 52 minutes (originally 100 minutes). The remainder of the itinerary is currently unchanged.

Does this change - when the departure is shifted later (not earlier) - make it eligible for a refund? I tried to enter the ticket on prefunds.aa.com but it says I have to cancel the ticket first. Of course if I do that, I end up missing out on the possibility that at some later point they cancel one or both trans-pacific flights.

Thoughts on if I should cancel now (and if I will get a refund, not a voucher) vs wait to see what happens with flights scheduled for Sept 2020?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:50 pm

Date change - even exchange?

[resolved]

Last edited by insp86; Aug 6, 2020 at 10:34 am
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President’s Circle, National EE
International Award Flight Back to US Cancelled But Domestic Connection Intact

Request advice on the following: This is an award flight ZRH-PHL-PHX in November, the international portion of which AA has cancelled until 2021. It was a web special award in Business booked last winter. My reservation doesńt show the AA flight ZRH-PHL anymore, just the domestic leg back home, PHL-PHX. Haven’t heard a peep from AA. Will AA eventually rebook me automatically onto something connecting via London, which would require a first leg on their partner BA? Or should I call and request this routing proactively? What is their obligation to get me back home to the US?What about any new BA fuel fees or additional taxes, which may be outlandish? Options from London would include flights on AA or BA, both possible as nonstops to PHX (perhaps, if that route is actually flown in November).

Alternatively, can I postpone this ticket until next year at the same award level (web special), when AA resumes this route?

Last edited by engel001; Jul 14, 2020 at 9:28 pm Reason: added email notification
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by insp86
Hello-

In March, I booked MSP-DFW-HKG-DPS for travel in January 2021 for my whole family. It was super cheap. This was supposed to be my light at the end of the COVID tunnel. As you can all imagine, the light is getting farther away...

In May, I changed the tickets to March 2021 on exactly the same flights. I wasn't charged a change fee or a difference in fare. The difference in fare alone was close to $2,000 for four tickets.

I'm now wondering if I can change the tickets again to June 2021 without paying the huge difference in fare? Looking at Google Flights, it looks like American/Cathay Pacific have the same flights planned. I think the policy below says I can get an "even exchange" but I'm not sure I can do it more than once? Any advice or experience before I call? Thanks a ton!

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...on-policy.html

"Date/Time changes on identical itineraries qualify for an even exchange*"
I'm quite certain that you are supposed to pay any fare difference. Having lucked out on that once, I'm not sure I'd be pushing my luck on a second try.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I'm quite certain that you are supposed to pay any fare difference. Having lucked out on that once, I'm not sure I'd be pushing my luck on a second try.
[resolved]

Last edited by insp86; Aug 6, 2020 at 10:34 am
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
We had to pay a fare difference on a date/ time change, but same itinerary. However, good news is if the fare is lower you get the difference refunded! We've had both scenarios.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:03 pm
Suspended

If I cancel a ticket (booked in March), can I choose to receive a voucher, allowing me to book the replacement ticket from scratch?

I would prefer not to have to just change an existing reservation that I've canceled; I don't trust AA about its promise of no change fees.

Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by insp86
I appreciate the reply. Am I misinterpreting the policy re: "even exchange"? I guess the worst that can happen is they say, "that'll be $4,000" and I say, "never mind, don't change the March tickets." That is the worst that could happen, right?
Normally, I'd agree. But in your case, they could say, "Hey, wait a minute, you shouldn't have gotten that last exchange for no cost. Pay up." Which is why I suggested leaving well enough alone.

Would they actually do that? Who knows.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
If I cancel a ticket (booked in March), can I choose to receive a voucher, allowing me to book the replacement ticket from scratch?

I would prefer not to have to just change an existing reservation that I've canceled; I don't trust AA about its promise of no change fees.

Thanks.
Absolutely you can.

AA broke an itinerary. I called AA with an alternate routing, but even with Rate Desk help she was unable to match the fare I was seeing. So after several minutes of no progress I told her to cancel, and I immediately booked the new at the expected fare.

This worked out well (so far) because when I went to Prefunds to get a refund back to my card they offered 20% more to accept an eVoucher instead.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:17 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jkenn
How long are refunds taking currently? I submitted some tickets for refunds on July 1st and they are pending review. I know the holiday weekend will impact how fast they are reviewed. Just curious when to expect a response.
Update: I applied for a refund on July 1st. Got an email on July 11th that funds were refunded back to my Amex. The credit showed up on my amex card on July 12th
Old Jul 16, 2020, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by olouie
Is AA not sending notices to anyone else or flight cancellations or changes? I now have 4 future flights where everything looks fine until I try and manage my trip and the it says to contract reservations. Each time AA has said that my flights were cancelled but that they can’t rebook me so I can only cancel for a refund. The I look and I can book new trips (at great costs) with slightly different routing.
This was my experience after my November Australia flights were cancelled. I got no email regarding the cancellation, I got the same message as you when I logged into "manage my trip". I contacted reservations and they re-deposited my miles and refunded the taxes. Miles were re-deposited within 30 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.