Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1–Sep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11–May 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1–March 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1–April 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020–Jan 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27–Apr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27–June 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24–May 1, rebooked travel Feb 24–June 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28–July 1, rebooked travel Jan 28–Aug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24–Oct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1–Dec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23–Mar 31

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 – May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 – April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

• AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code ’001’. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with ‘001’) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantage® award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by Nephoi
as a data point: im still waiting for my refund from 04/07. its (almost) a month now.. im kinda losing my patience here.
I'm glad I'm not alone. Though I'm behind you as claimed ours on the 10th April.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Just an update for those reading. I did call and initially the agent said I wasn't eligible because the change wasn't greater than 4 hours. I explained that I booked this before April 8th when that change went into place and she did acknowledge that I was eligible for a refund and processed it for me. This will be my second refund now so for those knowing ahead of time they won't be traveling, I suggest to continue to wait it out for as long as possible to see if AA cancels or changes the flight (assuming it's beyond 4 hours if booking after the 8th).
How long can we wait until we are forced to cancel? Our son's flight to Michigan and back needs to be cancelled because his summer program was cancelled. He prob won't be flying next year (he is 15) so I am trying to wait it out as long as possible.

What is the last day or two for us to cancel for a voucher (in case AA cancels on us or changes us first and we can get our money back)?

Thanks, Katherine

Last edited by kath00; May 12, 2020 at 9:44 pm
Old May 12, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Deleted
Old May 13, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kath00
How long can we wait until we are forced to cancel? Our son's flight to Michigan and back needs to be cancelled because his summer program was cancelled. He prob won't be flying next year (he is 15) so I am trying to wait it out as long as possible.

What is the last day or two for us to cancel for a voucher (in case AA cancels on us or changes us first and we can get our money back)?

Thanks, Katherine
You can wait right up until departure time. I would feel more comfortable waiting until the day before to be sure.
kath00 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:20 am

Hi FT friends, I just wanted to let you know that I just got back the last of my payments from AA, details in post #645 and after - I called them a week before the flight date.

Long story short the CSR looked at my reservation and say 'yup you can get a full refund' and click click click she said check my credit card in 5 to 10 days for all monies back! I was shocked! She said it was because my A to B was cancelled. Had nothing to do with the time changes. Go figure. I was willing, reluctantly, to accept the vouchers.

Here is the script I used. I think it helped. My SO was rolling eyes at me, but the CSR said she really appreciated the kind words.

"Good evening, thank you for taking my call, and thank you for working a stressful job with the public. I used to be a supervisor for customer service and I wish I could come offer back rubs, appreciation, support and protection from obnoxious customers. That being said, I hope you can help me. If you can't, I still acknowledge you as a person who deserves to be treated with respect, courtesy and politeness!"

I catch flies with honey, not vinegar. And I truly feel for these people who have to deal with angry, scared customers whose sense of civility have diminished over time.

Good luck to everyone, stay safe and healthy, and thanks again to SeaWolf for input.
alex67500 and SunkissedMommy like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by SWcrester
I catch flies with honey, not vinegar. And I truly feel for these people who have to deal with angry, scared customers whose sense of civility have diminished over time.
Kill them with kindness. That's also my strategy for the famous DYKWIA people (see the BAEC board for more on these...)

Karma always comes back, you might as well start sowing the seeds now and reap them later.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Has anyone requested a refund for a trip that was already changed once?

We were originally booked to fly LHR-LAX on 23rd March. The flight was cancelled, but in mid March we were still hopeful we'd get a holiday this year, so rather than take the refund we rebooked to September.

The rebooked flight has now been cancelled and they have automatically moved us to a different flight. The new flight is actually better - however we think the chance of us being allowed to fly from the UK in September is slim so would rather cancel and get our money back. I'm worried about the you can only rebook once rule though - or would that not impact if we are asking for a refund because they cancelled the flight?
Old May 15, 2020, 5:21 am

Would you say it's best to call in for my credits or is doing it via the AA website fine?

On my first flight, I won't qualify for a refund because the flights I am cancelling have been running every day and so the chances of them cancelling for my July trip are slim to none. I am fine with the credit as we're just going to take that same trip next summer instead. I wasn't sure if people have run in to issues using the website to cancel. I've recorded my ticket numbers and record locators for when I am ready to rebook. Any other suggestions??

As for my flights back home, they changed by 3 hours, but back in March. I received an email about the change then. Is it too late to request a refund on that one? I tried searching for a timeline and can't find anything that says I have a certain number of days to request a refund.

Also I booked my trip as two separate reservations. The way there is Economy and the way back is Business/First. I read somewhere that the credit are tied to the class of service, is that true? I just want to be prepared for when it's time to rebook.

Last edited by SunkissedMommy; May 15, 2020 at 5:30 am
Old May 15, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: BA
Hi,

We have flights booked with American Airlines for July to LAX via routes GLA-LHR-JFK-LAX.
Noticed in our AA booking there was a change notification. Schedules on the flights had changed on 2 of the flights (GLA-LHR and JFK-LAX).
It appears the scheduled times are earlier, however the flight numbers and aircraft types have clearly changed on both of these 2 flights.
i.e.
Original Outbound Flights
GLA-LHR 07:00AM - 08:35AM (AA6431)
LHR-JFK 11:20AM- 02:05PM (AA6934)
JFK-LAX 09:00PM - 12:13AM (AA300)

Changed Outbound Flights
GLA-LHR 08:00AM - 09:30AM (AA6673)
JFK-LAX 06:00PM - 09:12PM (AA302)

Can I confirm that a cancellation has now occurred on our original booking, and if we would be eligible for a full refund on our entire tickets?
Or would there be any resistance in giving a refund? If refund is good, what's the best approach phone or online?
Old May 21, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
is my understanding of the AA T&C and this ominous 300 mile rule correct?

if the first leg of a itiniary is cancelled and the routing (here - CDG-HEL) cant be operated due to the lack of a flight then a start from another airport within 300 miles (here FRA, 280 miles) is possible?
Old May 21, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Someone asked this up-thread, but I didn't see an answer. If you cancel for a credit voucher, is it like money in the bank, in the sense that you can apply it to any flight(s) you want, or do you have to use the original origin/destination? Thanks.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

if the first leg of a itiniary is cancelled and the routing (here - CDG-HEL) cant be operated due to the lack of a flight then a start from another airport within 300 miles (here FRA, 280 miles) is possible?
You can try, but I believe that the proposed origin/destination airport within 300 miles also needs to be within the same country as the original one did.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by blueink
Hi there,

My apologies if this is in the wrong place or should be part of a larger thread. I was just hoping for any advice on my situation, I can't find anything similar:

Feb 17th, I booked myself and my husband's family (6) tickets from US to the UK- my home country (STL to LHR, via ORD).
Mid-march, AA changed the outbound flights by 4 hours
April 13th, AA changed the return flight by 3.5 hours and with a different layover (Dallas), re-issuing the tickets and giving us new ticket numbers

I was told by AA I need to cancel these flights before I can try to claim a refund. But this decision will be based on the new re-issued tickets, not the original ones. The issue is with that is any flights changed by more than 90 minutes booked before April 8th are eligible for a refund, while flights booked after this date are only eligible if the change is more than 4 hours.

This means, if I cancel my tickets and try to claim a refund, I will probably not be eligible. But that would purely be due to the change AA made by re-issuing our tickets on April 13th. I feel that since I booked on Feb 17th, the 90 minute schedule change policy should apply.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Or just to tell me I'm in the wrong here? I just feel it's unfair for my husband's family not to get a refund based on something AA did, not us.

Any words of wisdom much appreciated!
This is what I encountered when I called in to cancel my ticket for a California trip. My original flight (booked in early March) was scheduled to depart at 5:06. On April 9, I got an email saying the flight was changed, with a new departure time of 3:23. When I logged on to AA on May 12th, there was a notification of the schedule change, so I checked on the flight information on the Your trips page.

When I called in yesterday to request a refund due to the time change, they said that since I had accepted the time change merely by opening the trip page, the new 240-minute schedule change policy was now in effect. The agent (after putting me on hold to get clarification for someone else) said that since I waited so long to cancel, I wasn't eligible for a refund, just a credit. I don't remember seeing any indication on the AA page of the new policy was in effect on the reissued ticket.

The agent originally said I would have to submit a refund request on my own, but when I pushed her a little, she submitted one for me with the statement that I was unaware of the policy change. Now it's just a wait to see if I get the refund.
Old May 22, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by DCAKen
This is what I encountered when I called in to cancel my ticket for a California trip. My original flight (booked in early March) was scheduled to depart at 5:06. On April 9, I got an email saying the flight was changed, with a new departure time of 3:23. When I logged on to AA on May 12th, there was a notification of the schedule change, so I checked on the flight information on the Your trips page.

When I called in yesterday to request a refund due to the time change, they said that since I had accepted the time change merely by opening the trip page, the new 240-minute schedule change policy was now in effect. The agent (after putting me on hold to get clarification for someone else) said that since I waited so long to cancel, I wasn't eligible for a refund, just a credit. I don't remember seeing any indication on the AA page of the new policy was in effect on the reissued ticket.

The agent originally said I would have to submit a refund request on my own, but when I pushed her a little, she submitted one for me with the statement that I was unaware of the policy change. Now it's just a wait to see if I get the refund.
I was under the impression that for both EC 261/2004 and DOT rulings, that any cancelled flight would automatically give entitlement of a refund as one possible option. Such that there is no other criteria that the duration in flight time changes have to be over 90mins or 4hrs etc.
Cancellation & Refund?

Btw, when my flight were cancelled and automatically rebooked, we never received any email confirmation on this. We only found out when checking the online booking accidently last week. Like you I also noticed a button notification on changed schedules. On clicking of this, it highlighted our changed flights (2 of these were cancelled), both were now earlier flights by 60mins and subsequent connecting flight was 3rs earlier. I clicked on this link just over a week ago, and posted some queries on refund options (in the above link).
As mentioned I'm not aware of such criteria where duration of changes must be over by so many minutes; and certainly not aware there is any time limit on notifying AA that we wish to refund as a result of their cancellation and auto rebooking. So certainly concerned having seen your recent experience. We have not called yet for a refund and was delaying things until we make a final decision.

Last edited by yeungones; May 22, 2020 at 9:43 am
Old May 22, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

I had a TPA-CAI round tirp where AA cancelled one of the flights. I asked the AAgent whether I could change the outbound destination to AMM, and she said yeas. So I fed her the new flights for TPA-AMM,CAI-TPA, which she was happy to price for me.

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Someone asked this up-thread, but I didn't see an answer. If you cancel for a credit voucher, is it like money in the bank, in the sense that you can apply it to any flight(s) you want, or do you have to use the original origin/destination? Thanks.
For the above-mentioned trip, the AAgent couldn't get to the same price I was seeing, even after several minutes with the rate desk. So I told her to cancel and I immediately booked on AA.com those flights at the price I expected. And then requested the refund. It ought to be the same as any voucher -- use for whatever you want as long as the trip originates in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.