Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1–Sep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11–May 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1–March 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1–April 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020–Jan 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27–Apr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27–June 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24–May 1, rebooked travel Feb 24–June 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28–July 1, rebooked travel Jan 28–Aug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24–Oct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1–Dec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23–Mar 31

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 – May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 – April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

• AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code ’001’. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with ‘001’) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantage® award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi All,

I hope you are well!

I did have AA200 booked (LAS>NYC).

We're not actually going to be in the USA anymore for obvious reasons so we have been waiting for our flights to get cancelled.

Just now I received an emails to say our flights have changed and instead of direct flights were now meant to be flying to PHX and then to NYC from there.

Is this ground for a refund? If so, how best do I do this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by eugegall
Hi All,

I hope you are well!

I did have AA200 booked (LAS>NYC).

We're not actually going to be in the USA anymore for obvious reasons so we have been waiting for our flights to get cancelled.

Just now I received an emails to say our flights have changed and instead of direct flights were now meant to be flying to PHX and then to NYC from there.

Is this ground for a refund? If so, how best do I do this?

Thanks in advance.
Yes! You call and ask if you can cancel without charges. CSR would say ok.
I just did it 3 days ago with SFO-LAX-HKG for next Spring. AA cancelled LAX-HKG and re-route me to SFO-DFW-HKG (even with DFW-HKG cleared SWU from Main cabin to business). I received refund to my CC.

Good luck!
eugegall likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by DaveH
Similar situation here. In February, We booked SEA-RSW on October 10, return Oct 17. With that part of FL being a Covid hotspot, we aren't going, but still have no indication that the dates have moved even though we're approaching 60 days out.

Has anyone had any success for dates beyond Sept 30?
The policy currently states if you BOOK by September 30 and TRAVEL by December 31
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by thrylos
The policy currently states if you BOOK by September 30 and TRAVEL by December 31
Yes, but not all agents remember so sometimes you can get away with farther out
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
This has probably been answered before, but if I am "banned" from travel to a particular country e.g. UK from USA. I assume that this isn't a reason to insist on a refund and I will have to take the credit? Also, I assume most trip insurance wouldn't cover this either.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ellinj
This has probably been answered before, but if I am "banned" from travel to a particular country e.g. UK from USA. I assume that this isn't a reason to insist on a refund and I will have to take the credit? Also, I assume most trip insurance wouldn't cover this either.
All Trip insurance policies by now have excluded CV19. Credit only (no change fee) if flights still operate.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
All Trip insurance policies by now have excluded CV19. Credit only (no change fee) if flights still operate.
Not quite. You may have to search for a separate policy or different one from the ones automatically sold with your trip but you can find policies that cover covid - a wide variety from cover anything policies to specific one. Not necessarily cheap but they are out there
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Often1
AA's standard for a refund is a cancellation or change of 4+ hours or "illegal" connection (now specified in the COC to meet DOT rules).

Entirely separate from cancelling for future credit with fee-waived.
Ok - one last question. I have been refunded two sectors which had cancellations and rebookings. I have one last sector MSP - ORD which has changed by a matter of minutes even though it is a different flight number and aircraft (neither of which I care less about) - I am assuming that this would not be refunded but is there anything (a voucher?) which I can request?

Many Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hyatt
I cancelled a booking in May because AA didn't cancel the flight themselves, so, now I have a credit.

I no longer need to travel to the original city. If I book a new itinerary to a different using that credit, does that count as my one "free change" per the latest policies? Or would I be able to change / cancel the new itinerary for free? I am assuming it is the former. Really hesitant to book anything more than a few weeks out right now, but also would love to take lock in some flight prices.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cripps
I cancelled a booking in May because AA didn't cancel the flight themselves, so, now I have a credit.

I no longer need to travel to the original city. If I book a new itinerary to a different using that credit, does that count as my one "free change" per the latest policies? Or would I be able to change / cancel the new itinerary for free? I am assuming it is the former. Really hesitant to book anything more than a few weeks out right now, but also would love to take lock in some flight prices.
When you say you have a credit, do you mean a Voucher, or a Trip Credit? Using one of those for a new booking is not considered a change of the booking you cancelled.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hyatt
Flight credit for cancelled trip
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:24 pm

Question - I bought a simple domestic one-way basic economy ticket SEA-DFW for say, $150, under the covid waiver (bought last week for travel in november 2020)

The price of the same flight has now dropped to $100.

What is the easiest way to avail this price drop - do I have to cancel the original flight, call aa, use the 001-ticketnumber to buy the new flight on the same route, and then keep note of the 001-ticketnumber to use the rest of $50? Is that really the easiest way? Alaska/Delta etc make it much more automated than this so wonderiing if I'm missing something.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
What's the absolute deadline to cancel an award ticket for a full mileage deposit? Is it 24 hours before departure? 3 Hours? Or even right before boarding. This is for a flight in early September.

Edit: Looks like you can rebook after cancelling your award ticket, so its essentially a mileage deposit?

Last edited by YoungSoloTraveler; Aug 29, 2020 at 2:27 am
Old Dec 25, 2020, 9:21 am

Similar question but I have searched and can not quite get to the answer. I had flight booking for Dec 2020 to Puerto Rico. I have now cancelled the flights and have credit in my AA ewallet. Can I book new flights (Hawaii in Feb) and cancel again if necessary while preserving the credits. Or will this count as the one change and I will lose the credits if I don't take the Hawaii trip once booked.

Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
Not sure if this question should go here or in the 'OSO, weather' thread, but here goes.

In November I booked a bunch of flights on one itinerary in early/mid January: Germany to Florida (via LHR and CLT), Florida up to PHL direct, then PHL back to Germany (via YUL and LHR)

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of schedule changes (I think a total of 4 segments were cancelled) and now this super British COVID is in the mix.

My original outbound (Germany to Florida) is now not possible on that date without an overnight in the US. Also, the AA call center told me they're "not rebooking via LHR until Jan 18th" (has anyone else heard this?)

There were also segments cancelled on my Florida-PHL and PHL-Germany flights (probably for the best as I didn't fancy going via Canada)

What policies would apply to my situation, and what options may I have? There's a route to MIA via MAD (thus avoiding the UK) - would that only be allowed on the original travel date, or other dates too? Basically - if I want to reroute any of the following flights, do I need to keep the original travel dates?

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.