Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
For tickets purchased Wednesday, April 8, 2020 or after, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...020-after.html

More changes: Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM .

Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx
American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

NOTE: also see AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased March 1 - May 31 (Coronavirus)

Current AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(information current as of April 15, 2020)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

• All Pre-May 31 Bookings (announced 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before May 31, travel Mar 1–Sep 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31, 2021

Previous AA Travel Waivers for COVID-19

(Previous travel waivers require rebooked travel to start by the earlier of the stated date OR the 12-month validity of the original ticket)

• South Pacific - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 16, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 17, travel March 16–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • Europe and the Middle East (announced 3/12, expanded to Middle East) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 11, travel March 11–May 31, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All Pre-March 1 Bookings (announced 3/9, extended 3/20) - change fees waived, tickets booked on/before March 1, travel March 11–May 31 April 30, rebooked travel start by Dec 31
  • All March 1–March 30 Bookings (announced 3/1 , extended 3/5, extended 4/7) - change fees waived, tickets booked March 1–April 30 (originally March 16, then March 30), travel Mar 1, 2020–Jan 30, 2021, rebooked travel complete within 12-month ticket validity
  • Italy - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 27, travel Feb 27–Apr 24, rebooked travel Feb 27–June 30
  • South Korea (ICN) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Feb 24, travel Feb 24–May 1, rebooked travel Feb 24–June 30
  • Hong Kong (HKG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 28, travel Jan 28–July 1, rebooked travel Jan 28–Aug 31
  • China (PEK, PVG) - refund or change fees waived, tickets booked on/before Jan 24, travel Jan 24–Oct 23, rebooked travel Feb 1–Dec 31
  • Wuhan, China (WUH) - refund only, tickets booked on/before Jan 23, travel Jan 23–Mar 31

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

This thread is dedicated to discussion and questions pertaining to changing travel on AA motivated by COVID-19 novel Coronavirus but not covered by AA travel alerts or waivers.

For those destinations covered by AA Coronavirus-related travel alerts and waivers see Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Link to AA travel alerts

Link to thread
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Link to thread AA 2020 schedule adjustments / changes due to coronavirus

AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, but this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:
Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
You have documentable health conditions that your doctor feels are sufficient to cancel travel plans.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
New General Change Fee Waiver (released ≈April 7-15)
No change fee if you bought your ticket before May 31, 2020

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:

Travel must be completed on or before December 31, 2021. The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

New Change Fee waiver for South Pacific (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - South Pacific

Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in:

Australia

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

You’re allowed to make changes to your trip once. You can change it now, or cancel and rebook later.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
  • Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)

New Change Fee waiver for Canada, Caribbean, .Central and South America (released ≈March 20?)
Novel Coronavirus - Canada, Caribbean, Central and South America

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Argentina
  • Aruba
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Panama
  • Peru
  • St. Maarten
  • Uruguay

• Bought your ticket on or before March 17, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 16 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 16 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
  • Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.
  • The change fee will be waived but you may still owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see 'Change trip' or ‘Cancel trip’ in the top toolbar
Find your trip

We’ll send an email that includes your ticket number after you cancel your trip. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook.
Call to rebook
After you cancel your trip online, please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
  • Your ticket number (American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ’001’)
New Change Fee waiver for Europe (released March 12, expanded to Middle East)
Novel Coronavirus - Europe and the Middle East

If you're traveling to / through / from airports in these countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UK

• Bought your ticket on or before March 16, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 11 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 11 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook
Please call Reservations when you’re ready to rebook. You’ll need:
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 1 – May 31 (extended March 20)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked before March 1, 2020 for travel March 10 – April 30 (released March 9)

No change fee if you bought your ticket before March 1 Expand Information current as of March 20, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

• Bought your ticket on or before March 1, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - May 31, 2020
  • Can travel March 1 - December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier

Keep in mind:
Change or cancel online
Here's how:
  • Find your trip
Find your trip

Call to rebook

• AA Award Travel - Per multiple first-hand accounts (including by dstan), under the above General Travel Waiver, AA Award Travel booked before March 1 for travel between March 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 can be canceled for a full refund of all fees and taxes paid AND free redeposit of miles (reinstatement fee waived).

Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 30, 2020 (extended 3/5)
Change Fee Waiver for Flights Booked between March 1, 2020–March 16, 2020 (original 3/1)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Terms and conditions

If you purchased a ticket on American Airlines between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee. Tickets must be purchased for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.

Exception policy

• We will waive the change fee only on published Non-Refundable Fare tickets.
  • Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 30, 2021.
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • New travel must be completed within 1 year of original ticket issue date.
  • Any difference in fare will apply.
  • Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
Contact Reservations

This waiver is valid only for tickets issued on American Airlines ticket stock. Tickets can be identified by a 13-digit ticket number beginning with American Airlines code ’001’. Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with ‘001’) are subject to the waiver policy of that airline.

This policy excludes bookings through AAdvantage® award tickets.

American Airlines Vacations packages purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CT and March 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT, also qualify for the one-time change fee waiver. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight. Any difference in fare or hotel rate will apply.

Contact American Airlines Vacations
Updated: March 9, 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:18 am

I am traveling on ticket booked thru AA as follows:
STL-FCO 5/11
FCO-TLV 5/31
TLV - STL 6/12

The leg of DFW-FCO no longer appears so I assume the trip has been cancelled. I am AA Gold and would like to chance for refund. Ticket was purchased on-line thru AA in September; 2019. Am I eligible for a cash refund? Should I call my gold number or some other line? Thanks for help.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dbears
I am traveling on ticket booked thru AA as follows:
STL-FCO 5/11
FCO-TLV 5/31
TLV - STL 6/12

The leg of DFW-FCO no longer appears so I assume the trip has been cancelled. I am AA Gold and would like to chance for refund. Ticket was purchased on-line thru AA in September; 2019. Am I eligible for a cash refund? Should I call my gold number or some other line? Thanks for help.
Please refer to wiki on this thread for obtaining a refund
Requesting refund for a canceled flight
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The original form of payment for your new ticket is a voucher and thus your refund would be to a voucher.
Does it have to be used between the same two cities and connecting point? or can you apply it to any new ticket going forward?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, IHG Diamond and Ambassador
Refund or Voucher

I have a trip to Spain in June. MIA-MAD
There’s no way I’m going to Spain right now. What’s everyone’s experience getting a cash refund from AA? Bought tix last fall.
I heard if you call and ask nicely I might not be forced to take a voucher.
If it matters, yesterday I got an email that the MIA-MAD nonstops have been cancelled and now we must connect through DFW.
Thanks for some advice.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by big69bob
I have a trip to Spain in June. MIA-MAD
There’s no way I’m going to Spain right now. What’s everyone’s experience getting a cash refund from AA? Bought tix last fall.
I heard if you call and ask nicely I might not be forced to take a voucher.
If it matters, yesterday I got an email that the MIA-MAD nonstops have been cancelled and now we must connect through DFW.
Thanks for some advice.
as stated earlier today in another thread this is what you are looking for:

in the event, after ticket issuance, schedule changes are made by aa that:
(i) affect a passenger’s departure and/or arrival by 2 or more hours;
(ii) result in the addition of an intermediate stop on the passenger’s itinerary;
(iii) result in a substitution of equipment not acceptable to the passenger; or
(iv) if a cancellation or a change in either air or tour itinerary is initiated either by aa or it’s tour operators which is unacceptable to the passenger, the passenger will have the option of cancelling without penalty, or rerouting on different flights to/from the same or different destination. However, the passenger must pay any additional amounts resulting from the rerouting.

source: various threads here, but most important:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

i think your case is (II). but sure. asking in the kindest possible way is never wrong.
big69bob likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
As an update to my earlier post, my refund was processed last night and is showing that status in prefunds and I also received an email informing me of the status change. So in my case, 15 business days.

No sign of the refund on my credit card yet and no sign of the upgrade miles being credited to my account. The downside to the refund is that it will go to my Citi executive elite card that has a zero balance and isn’t used any more and the account will be getting closed shortly unless AA/Citi come up with an extension/pro rated renewal fee.
The refund finally hit my credit card late last night. There was still no sign of the mileage upgrades being returned to my account, so I DM’d the Twitter team and they suggested that I call in. I got right through and they credited the 100K miles there and then.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
As an update to my earlier post, my refund was processed last night and is showing that status in prefunds and I also received an email informing me of the status change. So in my case, 15 business days.

No sign of the refund on my credit card yet and no sign of the upgrade miles being credited to my account. The downside to the refund is that it will go to my Citi executive elite card that has a zero balance and isn’t used any more and the account will be getting closed shortly unless AA/Citi come up with an extension/pro rated renewal fee.
That's a good data point. In another thread, I added a data point after being told that the current refund turnaround time is 17 days.

Speaking of the other thread, what is the difference between this thread and Requesting refund for a canceled flight ?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Trying to decipher the current waivers etc for residual credit on a cancelled ticket, need some clarification.

Had a trip booked in 2019 (ticketed in June, travel Nov '19), had to cancel it and have residual credit sitting there. Under normal rules I believe have to ticket *and* start travel by June 2020 (12 month from original ticketing) - I'm not sure if that still applies or the new 12/31/21 date? And it does appear at the moment the change fee would be waived? Hate to see it goto waste.

Last edited by jcooke; Apr 15, 2020 at 7:56 pm
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I know when a flight is cancelled we can request a refund versus a credit (already had one successful refund so far). How about a flight change?

In May, I'm scheduled to fly PHX to ORD to PHX, the return ORD to PHX flight was changed from my original 8:45pm departure to a 5:10pm departure. I am thinking because they moved my flight UP 3 hours and 35 minutes I can cancel and get a refund. Figured I'd check here before taking some time away from a Rep.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I think I just made a boo-boo.

I have an award flight from LAX-JFK on May 16 for me and 3 family members (party of four). I just clicked "cancel trip" in my AA account for this flight. I thought I'd get to a final screen where it'd ask me if I want to input a credit card number for award change fee. However, the next screen told me the flight was cancelled and that I'd just have to call when I am ready to fly again.

This is not what I want. I do not know if I will go to NY in the next year.

Will I be able to get my AA miles back along with the main cabin extra upgrade fees for 4 people?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:50 am

For another datapoint on refund times: I cancelled my flights and requested refunds on the afternoon April 7. Refunds were approved today at 8:30 EDT, the morning of the 9th business day. Really only 7 full business days since I submitted late and it was approved early. Looks like AA's process is speeding up from where it was just a week ago. Hopefully the card refunds are sped up as well.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I know when a flight is cancelled we can request a refund versus a credit (already had one successful refund so far). How about a flight change?

In May, I'm scheduled to fly PHX to ORD to PHX, the return ORD to PHX flight was changed from my original 8:45pm departure to a 5:10pm departure. I am thinking because they moved my flight UP 3 hours and 35 minutes I can cancel and get a refund. Figured I'd check here before taking some time away from a Rep.
Just an update for those reading. I did call and initially the agent said I wasn't eligible because the change wasn't greater than 4 hours. I explained that I booked this before April 8th when that change went into place and she did acknowledge that I was eligible for a refund and processed it for me. This will be my second refund now so for those knowing ahead of time they won't be traveling, I suggest to continue to wait it out for as long as possible to see if AA cancels or changes the flight (assuming it's beyond 4 hours if booking after the 8th).
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nephoi
i had a total of 8 refunds. it took 7 to 10 business days each. no worry.
my refund showed up on the 8th business day...

thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
my refund showed up on the 8th business day...

thanks!
i unsure what business days are in the US. i requested the refund on April 7... thats now 7 business days?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Indeed.
Nephoi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.