Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
There won’t be, but I’d really like to see an improvement in food and beverage offerings that corresponds to this major increase in card cost. I’m going to have to think about whether a nicer place to sit and access to AA agents is worth it.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
My children are middle-aged adults who out-earn semi-retired me. They infrequently fly American. For free Dad will share, but it isn't now and they won't really miss it.

But spouse, who is a co-holder of the card, not being admissible as part of the basic annual fee really does upset me.

EDITED TO ADD: I mentioned the seeming confirmation that "Authorized Users" were no longer going to be free to said spouse. She laughed and suggested the problem here is Citi and American's failure to reasonably define who such a person was limited to being. Meaning, she knows several people who trust each other enough to form their own little consortium and piggy-back a single card. (The most over-the-top being a 10-member user group, but hardly the only one). So yeah, it proves "Fool in the Street" theory rules once more. Even the best ideas always have an exploitable loophole.

So just limit it to card holder and spouse and stop trying to be so creative. Either your crowding problem goes down or your revenue goes up. Maybe both..

Last edited by jayer; Jul 10, 2023 at 1:01 pm
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:32 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
I do have to wonder if the other shoe is still to drop-- increased membership fees for the ACs. It was always a better deal to get the card vs buying a membership (AA is getting some sort of cut from Citi from the AFs, interchange and interest), and I can't see that changing. They really want to promote people getting the cobrand card.
That's what I'm worried about. My renewal is in a month or so, so I'm not quickly cancelling the card to switch over, but will need to keep an eye out and make a decision soon.

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
There won’t be, but I’d really like to see an improvement in food and beverage offerings that corresponds to this major increase in card cost. I’m going to have to think about whether a nicer place to sit and access to AA agents is worth it.
Why would they do that? That would cost more money!
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Looks like my renewal date is Aug 2, which is unfortunate timing. My wife is the only AU, who mainly spends on it to pool our miles and get me status, which she can enjoy when we travel together. She only travels without me maybe once per year, so the new AU fee really isn't worth it. I travel just barely enough to make an AC membership worthwhile, and that plus the LP earning made the card appealing. I'll have to make a decision soon but I'm likely to drop the card entirely.

I suspect there are a lot of AUs who are a spouse who are on it for the LP earning who use the AC benefit very infrequently. It's not all people adding their whole families. Losing that bugs me, it's basically charging now for the privilege of charging more to a credit account.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:02 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by brenc3
Looks like my renewal date is Aug 2, which is unfortunate timing. My wife is the only AU, who mainly spends on it to pool our miles and get me status, which she can enjoy when we travel together. She only travels without me maybe once per year, so the new AU fee really isn't worth it. I travel just barely enough to make an AC membership worthwhile, and that plus the LP earning made the card appealing. I'll have to make a decision soon but I'm likely to drop the card entirely.

I suspect there are a lot of AUs who are a spouse who are on it for the LP earning who use the AC benefit very infrequently. It's not all people adding their whole families. Losing that bugs me, it's basically charging now for the privilege of charging more to a credit account.
If you keep the card but your AUs don't need AC access, you should apply for the free Citi MileUp Card and get your AUs on that one for the LPs.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by jayer
My children are middle-aged adults who out-earn semi-retired me. They infrequently fly American. For free Dad will share, but it isn't now and they won't really miss it.

But spouse, who is a co-holder of the card, not being admissible as part of the basic annual fee really does upset me.
I agree -- and as I've chewed on this, it's more than just the AC access -- putting a fee on a spouse as a AU upsets me more deeply that than. My spouse and I have completely combined finances, we are authorized users on all of our cards -- other than this and my Hyatt card (from Chase), I don't even know who is primary account holder on the other cards. When it comes to day to day spend, we rotate cards depending on what is what as a team. We will use this Citi Exec card for lots of things during a good chunk of the year for LPs to my AA account (at least to get the bonus, but also if we need to stretch in that way to score some SWUs). Not having my wife be able to hold and handle her own card (without a ridiculously expensive fee) is just not going to work. This doesn't jive with how we operate.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The 4x earning on AA spend finally makes it somewhat competitive with Chase and Amex for airfare spend. Ditto the added insurance coverage.

It will be interesting to see more details about the "Loyalty Point Boost" benefit, i.e. is that an additional 10k LP after $50k card spend or earning 50k LP in general? If it's just hitting 50k/90k LP in general then that's another 20k easy LP for most of us.

And the 10x earning on BAAH is potentially huge. With about $5k of BAAH hotel spend so far this year that would be another 50k RDM right there.
-- It's just 2 miles more than now on airfare spend, and I am assuming it's not even LP earning on the bonus categories still. So, we are going from 13 RDMs/12 LPs per dollar (as an ExecPlat with the Executive Card) to 15 RDMs/12 LPs per dollar. That is a big Yawn from me. I got 16 RDMs and 19 LPs per dollar on the cat food I bought this morning between AAeshopping and the 1RDM/1LP on the card and the 20% LP bonus I am on right now.

-- 20K bonus is better than the current 10K bonus, but still a relatively small amount compared to the 250K LP needed for ExecPlat plus SWUs and the other ways to get it.
-- BAAH is a no starter for me -- Booking there cannibalizes the nights I need to keep status on my preferred hotel program. I get way too many tangible guaranteed benefits on my hotel program from elite status to ever give that up to chase upgrade lists and quickly inflating mileage award redemptions.

And the rest of the benefits too are just not useful for me. Small 'lyft' credits and Grubhub 'credits' per month? I'm not going back to spending $70 on Grubhub for a $30 takeout order just because I am getting a 10$ rebate that month. And increasingly, the rideshares are exceeding the costs for regular taxi services.

I think when my year is up, I am going to just get the MilesUp card so that I cant earn some LPs and RDMs on spend if I need to for status stretches.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:15 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Putting the AU issue aside for a second...

For me, I think the main deciding factor will be based on getting clarity concerning the LP "Boost Benefit".
If it is in fact applicable by virtue of just needing to be a cardholder (and not having to spend on it), then it is essentially an extra $145/year for 20,000 extra LPs alone. That's a deal that i think all of us would take at anytime if offered.

If this is the case, and i can now get 4x RDMs on AA purchases WITH TRAVEL PROTECTIONS, and I can also get an additional 10x RDMs via BAAH, then this card actually becomes WAY more valuable and almost a no-brainer to AA frequent Fliers.

Your move, Barclays????
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
Putting the AU issue aside for a second...

For me, I think the main deciding factor will be based on getting clarity concerning the LP "Boost Benefit".
If it is in fact applicable by virtue of just needing to be a cardholder (and not having to spend on it), then it is essentially an extra $145/year for 20,000 extra LPs alone. That's a deal that i think all of us would take at anytime if offered.

If this is the case, and i can now get 4x RDMs on AA purchases WITH TRAVEL PROTECTIONS, and I can also get an additional 10x RDMs via BAAH, then this card actually becomes WAY more valuable and almost a no-brainer to AA frequent Fliers.

Your move, Barclays????
I read the LP bonuses to mean that high-tier status on AA is going to become even more common than it already is….
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:27 pm
S80

Official news release from AA: https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...7/default.aspx

I hope the food is on par with Centurion lounges:
Beginning in select cites on July 23, customers will find a heartier variety of complimentary premium food with new hot and cold breakfast and all-day menus featuring regionally inspired selections such as Cuban pork sliders in Miami and mini crab cakes in Washington, D.C. Select lounges will also offer convenient grab-and-go snacks for those short on time. The enhanced food offerings are expected to roll out at all domestic Admirals Club lounges by early 2024.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:31 pm
dw

Originally Posted by S80
Official news release from AA: https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...7/default.aspx

I hope the food is on par with Centurion lounges:
The release says the following, which to me implies this is NOT tied to card spend. If so, then I guess it's a no brainer for me to keep this card.

The new benefits include:
  • Loyalty Point bonuses to reach AAdvantage status faster
    • A 10,000 Loyalty Point bonus after reaching 50,000 Loyalty Points in a status qualification year.
    • An additional 10,000 Loyalty Point bonus after reaching 90,000 Loyalty Points in the same status qualification year
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The statement credits more than offset the increase, at least for me. Using Grubhub, Avis, and Lyft credits ($360 total) is easy to do and are all things I spend on anyway today -- i.e., I won't be spending simply to get the credit like I do with the Saks credit on my AX Platinum. And, at least there is now trip insurance offered on the card + additional LP boosts. I'm good with these changes.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:32 pm
dw

https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...7/default.aspx

Beginning July 23, new Admirals Club annual memberships will be $850 or 85,000 miles, and a One Day Pass will be $79 or 7,900 miles. For more information about Citi/AAdvantage credit cards, visit citicards.com.

That's crazy
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:35 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dw
The release says the following, which to me implies this is NOT tied to card spend. If so, then I guess it's a no brainer for me to keep this card.

The new benefits include:
  • Loyalty Point bonuses to reach AAdvantage status faster
    • A 10,000 Loyalty Point bonus after reaching 50,000 Loyalty Points in a status qualification year.
    • An additional 10,000 Loyalty Point bonus after reaching 90,000 Loyalty Points in the same status qualification year
I agree. I also find this odd, as it completely disincentives non-AA spend on the card.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:38 pm
S80

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
The statement credits more than offset the increase, at least for me. Using Grubhub, Avis, and Lyft credits ($360 total) is easy to do and are all things I spend on anyway today -- i.e., I won't be spending simply to get the credit like I do with the Saks credit on my AX Platinum. And, at least there is now trip insurance offered on the card + additional LP boosts. I'm good with these changes.
I didn't use Uber Eats, but the Amex credit made it easier because it's uber cash or whatever, which means I can use any card to pay. The GrubHub one is harder to use because it doesn't stack across the cards that give the credit, so it's worthless to me since I wouldn't naturally order that many times in a month to take advantage (and would have to remember to cycle each card each time).
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by S80
I didn't use Uber Eats, but the Amex credit made it easier because it's uber cash or whatever, which means I can use any card to pay. The GrubHub one is harder to use because it doesn't stack across the cards that give the credit, so it's worthless to me since I wouldn't naturally order that many times in a month to take advantage (and would have to remember to cycle each card each time).
Not sure I follow this. It's $10/month ($120/year) and just requires the one order per month to be charged to the Citi card. I'm not sure what you mean about stacking across the cards that give the credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.