Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:19 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by benyy
If I recently got a Platinum Select for the 75k SUB they were offering earlier in the year, would I be eligible for the 100k SUB for this new executive card?
Yes, those are separate products.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
My tentative plan is to maybe keep just my spouse as an AU for AC access when we're not travelling together. To still catch the spend of my other current AU's spend I plan to just add my card to their Apple Wallet.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by AAway
My tentative plan is to maybe keep just my spouse as an AU for AC access when we're not travelling together. To still catch the spend of my other current AU's spend I plan to just add my card to their Apple Wallet.
Three AUs will cost the same as one. Might as well max it out if you're going to pay up anyway...
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:12 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
Yes, those are separate products.
True, but this could be their way of instituting a 'family' rule for AA Citi cards similar to the Thank You products
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Athena53
I couldn't find the original quote (may have been another thread) but someone speculated that they may be trying to "thin the herd". This makes sense to me given what I've read about some Clubs having long waiting lines and having personally encountered two at SEA that had stopped issuing day passes (I had a long layover and wanted one).
I kind of doubt that will happen, especially if the food/beverage becomes much nicer. My guess, is that the AC loses a good deal of casual travelers that use the club real occasionally, while being more attractive to very frequent travellers who currently are using AMEX and other lounge systems. If you lose 100 people that use the AC 4 times a year as casual AUs, it only takes 5 frequent flyers that now use the AC 80 times a year due to the better food/drink to balance that back out.

Sure there are some cases of a few AUs heavy hitting the clubs, but if they are flying that much, they aren't going to balk at giving their friend via Zelle a $175 thank you note or just picking up their own card. At the end of the day, its about the $$ to AA and Citi, not the lounge crowding.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:34 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I kind of doubt that will happen, especially if the food/beverage becomes much nicer. My guess, is that the AC loses a good deal of casual travelers that use the club real occasionally, while being more attractive to very frequent travellers who currently are using AMEX and other lounge systems. If you lose 100 people that use the AC 4 times a year as casual AUs, it only takes 5 frequent flyers that now use the AC 80 times a year due to the better food/drink to balance that back out.

Sure there are some cases of a few AUs heavy hitting the clubs, but if they are flying that much, they aren't going to balk at giving their friend via Zelle a $175 thank you note or just picking up their own card. At the end of the day, its about the $$ to AA and Citi, not the lounge crowding.
I somewhat agree, I'm just not sure of the numbers. Frequently now I've been stopped behind a group of 6+ that are getting in on a primary + AU card. For me, the worst offenders in terms of the ambience are the large groups who are going on vacation and are rowdy, since I desire a quiet place to relax and get some work done.
I also am starting to visit the Centurion Lounges over the ACs because they both have the same ambiance at this point, and the Centurion Lounge has better food.

It's clear they want to influence more spending on the card (as that is another money maker), but they haven't switched it over for me yet. I'd still rather earn 5x MR on my Amex Plat vs 4x AA LP Edit: RDM on the Citi card, simply because of the outsized value of MR over AA miles (for my use case, long-haul biz (with a preference to try out new products on other airlines as well)).

Last edited by S80; Jul 11, 2023 at 1:02 pm Reason: Fixed AA CC Earnings
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by S80
I'd still rather earn 5x MR on my Amex Plat vs 4x AA LP RDM on the Citi card, simply because of the outsized value of MR over AA miles...
Fixed it for you

But I wholeheartedly agree re: still better to use Amex PLT at 5x and accumulate MR vs. AA miles.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:41 pm
S80

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Fixed it for you

But I wholeheartedly agree re: still better to use Amex PLT at 5x and accumulate MR vs. AA miles.
Wait, does the card not earn (with the new rate) 4x Miles and LP, is it only miles?

Last edited by S80; Jul 11, 2023 at 12:47 pm
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S80
It's clear they want to influence more spending on the card (as that is another money maker), but they haven't switched it over for me yet. I'd still rather earn 5x MR on my Amex Plat vs 4x AA LP on the Citi card, simply because of the outsized value of MR over AA miles (for my use case, long-haul biz (with a preference to try out new products on other airlines as well)).
Same here- I'll certainly use it for AA charges- it will be VERY convenient when I take the family to Charleston next May, with everyone on the same PNR so my son and his family can check bags at no cost, but 99% of the time I use the Fidelity and Costco Visas because cash back rewards can't be devalued by "program enhancements" (although they can be eroded somewhat by inflation).
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by S80
Wait, does the card not earn (with the new rate) 4x Miles and LP, is it only miles?
Yes, the bonus multipliers like 2x (or now 4x) on AA airfare has always been just RDM, not LP.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I wish they had offered a dinning and gas multiple
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:01 pm
S80

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, the bonus multipliers like 2x (or now 4x) on AA airfare has always been just RDM, not LP.
That I did not know, I was under the impression of them being base miles (and therefore earning LPs). Thanks for the correction!
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by S80
With all the cards (I think), there is only 1 LP per $. Any/all bonus miles are just RDMs. Like now, the 2x on AA flights gives you 2 RDM and 1 LP per $.

So, unless there is clear communication otherwise, my assumption is that the 4X on AA, the 10X on AA Hotels and AA cars are just for RDMs and not LPs. The card only helps with status with the 20K LP bonuses.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:13 pm
S80

Originally Posted by MarkOK
With all the cards (I think), there is only 1 LP per $. Any/all bonus miles are just RDMs. Like now, the 2x on AA flights gives you 2 RDM and 1 LP per $.

So, unless there is clear communication otherwise, my assumption is that the 4X on AA, the 10X on AA Hotels and AA cars are just for RDMs and not LPs. The card only helps with status with the 20K LP bonuses.
Thank you for that clarification, that even further disincentivizes my spend on it. The only real aadvantage is the 10x on BAAH, which I already use for hotels when I don't need/want the benefits from Hilton status, or there aren't Hilton properties available, so that's the only spend I see myself moving to the card from others.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:55 pm

will probably switch most of my non-AA and non-bookAAhotels spending to a different card and use this one just for the 20k LP bonus and RDM bonuses for AA and bAAh. And for the travel insurance benefit and duh, the club.
So it's weird that the increased amenities at the club are coming (i would assume mostly) from Citi since I'd guess there are far more exec master card holders than plain old AC membership members.
So does Citi give AA a cut on the $ or pays for the enhanced bubbly and upgraded cheese cubes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.