Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
As I have already reported five days ago (post 3013), I had no problem booking ORD-AUH in J for next July, so your subject line "No longer able to book Etihad to/from USA with AA miles?" is misleading unless USA = JFK.

I have not seen any reports regarding other US gateways. For now, we have to assume the problem is limited to JFK.

PS Could you clarify whether you are seeing JFK-AUH availability by searching for JFK-AUH or by searching for AUH-JFK-AUH. If only the latter, indeed it is not currently bookable, even via Fiji.
Wait, are you saying that that there is more to the USA than NYC/JFK???

Seriously, thanks for this feedback. Based on previous inquiries I've made, it seems like the problem just started recently. But you might well be right, that it could be confined to JFK. I'll amend my previous post title accordingly.

As for your PS: I'm a bit confused. Yes, I was searching AUH-JFK-AUH at the EY site. I believe that has been the correct way to find even just JFK-AUH, based on some info either here in this forum or over at the EY forum. That is, I thought that specifically searching just JFK-AUH there turned up false negatives, whereas AUH-JFK-AUH reflected availability accurately. Did I get that wrong also, or misunderstand your question?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
As for your PS: I'm a bit confused. Yes, I was searching AUH-JFK-AUH at the EY site. I believe that has been the correct way to find even just JFK-AUH, based on some info either here in this forum or over at the EY forum. That is, I thought that specifically searching just JFK-AUH there turned up false negatives, whereas AUH-JFK-AUH reflected availability accurately. Did I get that wrong also, or misunderstand your question?
EY booking is unpredictable, but typically, if xxx-AUH is available in J with a one-way search, it can be booked by calling AA in the US. For example, ORD-AUH (J) was visible to me with a one-way search, and I booked it through AA-US.

If J availability is only visible with a RT search, it gets more complex. These were once bookable by calling AA-US, then for a while they could be booked through AA-Australia, then for a while it required calling AA-NZ. EY seems to have read FT and stopped all that. We do not know if it is permanent or temporary.

The one-way availability search is quite variable depending on gateway:

ORD and DFW: scattered J availability next few weeks, generous J availability ~330 days out
IAD: scattered J availability next few weeks, zero J availability ~330 days out
JFK and LAX: zero J availability between tomorrow and 330 days out

(In all these cases an RT search shows J availability on many dates, but this does not help us)
(F availability may be different)

PS Maybe the awards visible with RT search are bookable by calling AA-Japan or AA-India or AA-Abu Dhabi, but AFAIK, no one has reported that they have tested this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Sep 4, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Ok, thanks for the further info! If I have more to add on this, I'll post again.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:19 pm

I see availability of etihad using guest miles from dfw-auh and returns on F. No AA agent can see it.m(including Australia)
I'm looking at Dec 2017 first week flight.

Last edited by jasmians; Sep 5, 2017 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Seems like starting a few days ago the Australia/New Zealand AA reservations numbers - and the Fiji call center that they in turn connected you to - no longer work for finding Etihad award space. (As you may know, fand as noted in the Wiki, for quite some time trying AA/USA CSRs have had trouble finding availability.) More specifically, I tried finding two F seats on multiple days that the EY site was showing availability for JFK-AUH next June. But the usually reliable and competent Fiji center could not find the seats, despite it being able to do so in the past. No luck for J or Y either.

FWIW, one of my Australia AA calls actually was forwarded to a Trinidad call center, which apparently sometimes gets the overflow, and it could not find the space. But even when I got through to Fiji, no luck.

Anyone have any experience along these lines? Any folks know of any further workarounds?

Thanks for any advice.
Originally Posted by jasmians
I see availability of etihad using guest miles from dfw-auh and returns on F. No AA agent can see it.m(including Australia)
There are starting to be some reports of recent problems in this area:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....an-miles-died/

...Because the Australia reservations line hasn’t been able to see Etihad award space that the US reservations line cannot recently. The ability to access more or less whatever Etihad offers its own members has disappeared. (Note of course that American Express and Citibank points transfer to Etihad Guest.)

The US reservations line can still generally see awards from Abu Dhabi to elsewhere in the world, for instance I’ve had no problem booking Abu Dhabi to Australia or Singapore with a domestic call.
A contact at AA seems to indicate that -something- *might* have changed, but this has happened at least a few times, only to revert to status quo-- more or less-- so, will have to see if this time is any different.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much, JonNYC...even if you're kinda sorta the bearer of bad news here.

If you get any update on what might have changed - and hopefully whether it might change back - I'm sure many of us would really appreciate it.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:03 pm

I note again that there is lots of J availability out of ORD or DFW. As far as I can tell, there is NO difference between one-way and round-trip searches out of these gateways. So there is currently no reason to call Australia/NZ.

There is a huge difference between one-way and round-trip J searches out of JFK and LAX. And calling Australia/NZ does not currently help.

But if this were intentional, e.g. part of the EY-AA hostility, you would think the problem would occur across the board. It's just as likely to be another example of EY IT weirdness. Maybe it will clear up.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:08 pm
Suspended

...But if this were intentional, e.g. part of the EY-AA hostility...
off-hand, and personally speaking, that aspect is -not- in my opinion in the mix here regardless of the cause (glitch vs. intentional, temporary vs. permanent.)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I note again that there is lots of J availability out of ORD or DFW. As far as I can tell, there is NO difference between one-way and round-trip searches out of these gateways. So there is currently no reason to call Australia/NZ.

There is a huge difference between one-way and round-trip J searches out of JFK and LAX. And calling Australia/NZ does not currently help.

But if this were intentional, e.g. part of the EY-AA hostility, you would think the problem would occur across the board. It's just as likely to be another example of EY IT weirdness. Maybe it will clear up.
I don't want to create work for you SBF, since you've contributed some good thoughts already. But have you actually called AA in the past few days (after you did your own booking from ORD) to verify the availability, or are you simply going off of the EY site? I'll call myself when I get a chance later tonight or tomorrow, but was curious as to whether you'd done so.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:36 pm

I don't want to create work for you SBF, since you've contributed some good thoughts already. But have you actually called AA in the past few days (after you did your own booking from ORD) to verify the availability, or are you simply going off of the EY site? I'll call myself when I get a chance later tonight or tomorrow, but was curious as to whether you'd done so.
Obviously I can't test every date and gateway, but I did call and test several ORD dates. I did not test DFW or LAX, I'm just reporting that DFW availability display is very similar to ORD, while LAX is just like JFK (you and others have tested JFK).
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I was able to ticket AUH-LAX in F last week for mid-October with no issues, this was calling the main US Aadvantage reservation line.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:21 am

Not possible to change a booking I had on EY. The AA agents in all call centres I called would see availability but comes back as unconfirmed (something along the line of a 'disconnect' issue). One agent was eager to test things (new booking, separate segments) to no avail.

Another agent who seemed quite knowledgeable (tried a number of things without me asking) said in this situation a call to the tech desk will not solve the issue and that the typical response is that EY will not permit/confirm availability.

So, eager for an explanation, I called EY Guest. To my surprise the EY agent (think IN based but could be UK for all that I know) could not see availability at all. He said what the EY website is NOT reflecting the actual availability and that continuing with the booking online will eventually fail after the payment page.

Given that EY is not accepting baggage on separate itineraries and that one needs 75% of the mileage to book (plus the loss of 10% in case of cancellation) and no changes in the last 24 hours means I would not risk it with EY guest.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: QR Platinum (OWE) / BA GOLD (OWE)/ CI Emerald (ST E+)/ SQ PPS (*G)
Just called US / AU / NZ for AUH-LHR (First)in Dec.
Agents didn't see anything available albeit EF showing plenty on the website.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:28 am

I called US/AU/NZ/JP yesterday for one way AUH-JFK in May 2018 and nothing. EY had plenty of availability on website
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same results as those above. Checked JFK/DFW/LAX-AUH and vice versa for F availability multiple dates in June/July 2018. Called both USA and NZ (Fiji) offices. No luck, despite availability showing on EY site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.