Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by coolmuke
Need help/suggestion,
My wife is traveling to india with two kids(5yr and 2yr). I dont want to book 3 business seats because all three can fit in two seats. I prefer 2 bus and one economy to save miles. Will they allow to book my 5 yr old in economy?
DON'T ! You cannot leave a five year old ( or even a ten year old) alone in any class of service. Besides airlines will NOT allow it.
Have you thought of downgrading to PE ?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
DON'T ! You cannot leave a five year old ( or even a ten year old) alone in any class of service. Besides airlines will NOT allow it.
What airlines will permit varies from airline to airline - MH , for example, would allow the 10 year old to be in economy, whilst QF would require that the 10 year old be accompanied in the same cabin
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What airlines will permit varies from airline to airline - MH , for example, would allow the 10 year old to be in economy, whilst QF would require that the 10 year old be accompanied in the same cabin
Also -- EY does have an Unaccompanied Minor program starting at age 5. It would be rather bizarre to be sitting in J and have your child be an "unaccompanied minor" in Y, but I guess it would be technically possible. Etihad doesn't list the fee for this service on their website, but most airlines do charge one these days. My guess the "cost" of the few miles you'd save would quickly be offset by this fee.

AA miles aren't hard to get. Why not just get what you need and have the family together in J?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:45 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
Also -- EY does have an Unaccompanied Minor program starting at age 5.
EY doesn't charge for UMs. In fact they continue the SkyNanny tradition that GF started so it's probably the best option of any airline.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
What i meant is all three will be in the same business class cabin. They dont need extra seat to fit in my just turned 2 yr old. Bust since i have to buy 3 tickets, I thought i will get 2 bus class and one economy and leave the economy seat empty. Just wondering what others do when they have 2 year old that do not really need seat but we are required to buy a ticket.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
What i meant is all three will be in the same business class cabin. They dont need extra seat to fit in my just turned 2 yr old. Bust since i have to buy 3 tickets, I thought i will get 2 bus class and one economy and leave the economy seat empty. Just wondering what others do when they have 2 year old that do not really need seat but we are required to buy a ticket.
When I was in the same position a few years ago, we just went and bought the extra business seat. It was rather funny to see my (small for her age) daughter in such a large seat-- she could actually curl up in it and sleep without having to recline. That said, though I was pained at shelling out the money for a business class seat for a 2 year old, it is a long enough flight that I was very glad she wasn't trying to sit on someone's lap. While the kids may be small, its very hard to keep a toddler in your lap for many hours... So I'd suggest either just buying the seat, or if that is too pricey, downgrading everyone to a lower class of travel and buying the 3 seats there as was previously suggested.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:07 pm

I don't think you are listening. You are trying to book a seat for an unaccompanied 5-year-old. The booking system does not have a way to waive the rules based on your verbal and unenforceable claim that the 5-year-old will not actually sit in that seat. As far as the booking system is concerned, you are booking an economy seat for an unaccompanied 5-year-old.

Also, someone with an economy ticket cannot move to business class for free (with or without a separate seat). To be in business class, that person must pay for business class.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 31, 2017 at 2:41 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:30 pm

Thank you everyone for the input.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:47 pm

I'm having the same issue as others:
- BOM-AUH and AUH-JFK both showing 2 in F available in Etihad Guest as well as 2 on ExpertFlyer
- Tried calling US, Australia, NZ agents and none can see the space. Tried booking both as BOM-AUH-JFK as well as just AUH-JFK independently per the Wiki, but none of the agents could see the space in F regardless of how I listed it (though all were able to see the space in Y).
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by EggSS4
- BOM-AUH and AUH-JFK both showing 2 in F available in Etihad Guest as well as 2 on ExpertFlyer
- Tried calling US, Australia, NZ agents and none can see the space. Tried booking both as BOM-AUH-JFK as well as just AUH-JFK independently per the Wiki, but none of the agents could see the space in F regardless of how I listed it (though all were able to see the space in Y).
Be careful.

I saw 2 in F for the 380 AUH-JFK on 26 Dec. Had it reserved via AA Australia team on phone. Reservation appeared on AA.com instantly as on 380. 6 hours later I logged in and saw that my "flight times had changed" and they booked me into the 77W (no Apartments).

I cancelled the booking because it wasn't worth my miles at that time.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by sellouts
Be careful.

I saw 2 in F for the 380 AUH-JFK on 26 Dec. Had it reserved via AA Australia team on phone. Reservation appeared on AA.com instantly as on 380. 6 hours later I logged in and saw that my "flight times had changed" and they booked me into the 77W (no Apartments).

I cancelled the booking because it wasn't worth my miles at that time.
I thought both Auh-Jfk frequencies are on the 380
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by EggSS4
There are no Australia and New Zealand agents separately. All are employees of Mindpearl in Suva, Fiji.

But either way, that's sad.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by extremeromance
After looking at EF a little closer, it seems starting mid December into March 2018, EY100/101 on all Tuesdays and certain Thursdays are using a 77W instead of the 380. It looks like after March, all frequencies return to 380 service.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by extremeromance
Crap, we just lost the A380 on one of our trips as well. It appears that Etihad has changed EY100 and EY101 back to the 77W for Tuesday departures between Dec 19 and Mar 13, and for Thursday departures from Feb 22 to Mar 15.

I would guess that they are rotating the aircraft in for scheduled maintenance? Unfortunately EY103 does not have availability for our travel date, so we are pretty much stuck on the 77W.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Guys...

Looks like they are just equipment swaps. Just be happy that you have flights and are able to book into F or J at all!

I see on Lucky's forum that people are having the same issues right now and some are more upset than I am:

http://asklucky.onemileatatime.com/t...aa-miles.4409/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.