Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:26 pm

Called again today to check AUH - JFK (First) Australian call center can not see the opening. They say they have economy available, can i book now and upgrade later to F ?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by INDFlyer
Called again today to check AUH - JFK (First) Australian call center can not see the opening. They say they have economy available, can i book now and upgrade later to F ?
Today, I called the US phone center & they said they also saw AUH-JFK economy availability in March 2018, but not First or Business. They also said I could upgrade with miles, if availability opened up.

I was able to complete my SYD > AUH F booking on the same call.

Last edited by chung097; Sep 10, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by chung097
Today, I called the US phone center & they said they also saw AUH-JFK economy availability in March 2018, but not First or Business. They also said I could upgrade with miles, if availability opened up.

I was able to complete my SYD > AUH F booking on the same call.
Can somone with AA status launch a complaint so that this issue can be resolved?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I doubt that this is related to or will cure the problem AA folks are having with getting AUH-USA award tix. But for what it's worth, I just received this email:

XXXXX, as our valued Etihad Guest Member, we’re informing you of our scheduled maintenance taking place between 16 and 18 September 2017.

During this time the Etihad Guest Programme (etihadguest.com) will be temporarily unavailable and no flight redemptions or cabin upgrades will be processed. If you’d like to shop at the Reward Shop, upgrade or redeem flights, please do so within this 5-day window. Etihad.com will still be available to book and track flights.

This planned maintenance is part of our future systems upgrade, taking place in a few weeks, to enhance your Etihad Guest experience.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I called AA Au again and got the same line. "Try back in October or November. We haven't been given access to any seats past September." Something is going on and now the agents seem to have a clue.

Again, this applies to AUH-US and AUH-LHR flights. Doesn't look like other flights are affected.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Can somone with AA status launch a complaint so that this issue can be resolved?
Well, I wouldn't hold my breath about launching complaints resolving this issue. Still, it can't hurt to try.

Here's the link for contacting AA:

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=CR#/

Here's the note I just sent Customer Relations:

What is the situation with redeeming Etihad flights using AA miles? Even though the Etihad site shows availability during many months for many routes, my calls to AA have indicated that actual availability using AA miles is confined to just the next few weeks. Nothing beyond that.

As a long-time loyal Advantage member who has been executive platinum for most of the past 20 years, I have moved tens of thousands of dollars' worth of business class flights to other airlines over the past few years because of the deterioration in the Advantage program. This latest problem involving Etihad will accelerate that trend for me and I expect many others.

Thanks for any information you can share on whether or when this problem will be addressed.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Well, I wouldn't hold my breath about launching complaints resolving this issue. Still, it can't hurt to try.

What is the situation with redeeming Etihad flights using AA miles? Even though the Etihad site shows availability during many months for many routes, my calls to AA have indicated that actual availability using AA miles is confined to just the next few weeks. Nothing beyond that.

As a long-time loyal Advantage member who has been executive platinum for most of the past 20 years, I have moved tens of thousands of dollars' worth of business class flights to other airlines over the past few years because of the deterioration in the Advantage program. This latest problem involving Etihad will accelerate that trend for me and I expect many others.

Thanks for any information you can share on whether or when this problem will be addressed.
Thank you Thunderroad for taking the time to file a complaint. ^
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I booked a first award ticket on EY BOM - JFK Initially the BOM-AUH was an a380 then down graded to a 333 and now business in 332. What recourse do I have? Will American refund the mileage difference?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tomcat007
I booked a first award ticket on EY BOM - JFK Initially the BOM-AUH was an a380 then down graded to a 333 and now business in 332. What recourse do I have? Will American refund the mileage difference?
Assuming this is a single award redemption fro BOM-JFK

If you are in 1st class from AUH-JFK, then there is little recourse since the mileage cost is the same whether in 1st class the whole way vs business class part the way and 1st class the rest

You should be able to cancel and redeposit the miles without penalty if you wish to do that or , of course, if there are dates where there is 1st class available, you could rebook
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Assuming this is a single award redemption fro BOM-JFK

If you are in 1st class from AUH-JFK, then there is little recourse since the mileage cost is the same whether in 1st class the whole way vs business class part the way and 1st class the rest

You should be able to cancel and redeposit the miles without penalty if you wish to do that or , of course, if there are dates where there is 1st class available, you could rebook
Thankfully AUH-JFK is still in first. I guess I have to suck it up for the BOM-AUH sector
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you Thunderroad for taking the time to file a complaint. ^
You're welcome! But it was a complete waste of time. Here's the completely unresponsive response from AA Customer Relations:

Dear Mr. Thunderroad:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations.

I am sorry you've been disappointed in your attempts to arrange AAdvantage® award travel. Clearly one of the benefits our members expect is the ability to use their AAdvantage® miles to claim awards to the destinations they desire. We are committed to ensuring it's as easy to "spend" miles as it is to earn them.

As the name implies, MileSAAver awards require fewer miles compared to AAnytime® awards, but they are more restrictive and therefore are best used by customers whose travel plans are flexible. In exchange for lower mileage levels, MileSAAver awards are subject to limited seating and may be subject to travel embargo dates.

American Airlines manages seating inventory based on ever-changing customer demand. This means that award seats on a specific flight may become available at any time up until departure. Since award seats may open up even after you were first advised none were available, we recommend that members keep trying to find availability on AA.com or through AAdvantage® Reservations desk. Additionally, the more flexible you are with regard to dates and times of travel, the more successful you are likely to be.

Nevertheless, it's also important to understand that due to customer demand, award seats may not be available on all flights or to all destinations. When revenue demand is great, such as during holidays and other peak travel seasons, the seat allocation for MileSAAver award travel will be limited.

Still, the overwhelming majority of AAdvantage® award tickets are issued from MileSAAver and other capacity controlled awards. With more than 4 million AAdvantage® awards issued annually, literally millions of members are successful in arranging such travel. However, this does not mean that every member who wants to claim a MileSAAver award seat on a specific flight will always be able to do so.

That's why we also offer higher mileage AAnytime® awards on American Airlines and American Eagle, for which there are no restrictions of any kind. Any seat, on any flight, on any day of the week is available to an AAnytime® award user as long as the cabin is not completely sold-out. Naturally, such unrestricted travel comes at a higher "price" in terms of mileage levels - not unlike the difference between unrestricted full fares and more limited discount fares.

That said, with One-Way Flex Awards, it is possible for members to "mix and match" different award types. For instance, if a MileSAAver award is available on your outbound flight, but not on your return, it is possible for you to book a MileSAAver award for your outbound flight and an AAnytime award on your return. This gives you the opportunity to get the most flexibility out of the miles that you have.

We are also proud to offer our members the opportunity to redeem AAdvantage® miles for hotel stays and car rentals.

Also, Our AAdvantage® reservation personnel can help to see what is available for booking at the present time. They can be reached at 1-800-882-8880 and are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thank you for allowing me to explain and for your participation in our AAdvantage program, we hope to welcome you aboard soon!

Sincerely,

Kyle Calef
Customer Relations
American Airlines
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:28 am

You're welcome! But it was a complete waste of time. Here's the completely unresponsive response from AA Customer Relations:

Dear Mr. Thunderroad:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations.

I am sorry you've been disappointed in your attempts to arrange AAdvantage® award travel. Clearly one of the benefits our members expect is the ability to use their AAdvantage® miles to claim awards to the destinations they desire. We are committed to ensuring it's as easy to "spend" miles as it is to earn them.

As the name implies, MileSAAver awards require fewer miles compared to AAnytime® awards, but they are more restrictive and therefore are best used by customers whose travel plans are flexible. In exchange for lower mileage levels, MileSAAver awards are subject to limited seating and may be subject to travel embargo dates.

American Airlines manages seating inventory based on ever-changing customer demand. This means that award seats on a specific flight may become available at any time up until departure. Since award seats may open up even after you were first advised none were available, we recommend that members keep trying to find availability on AA.com or through AAdvantage® Reservations desk. Additionally, the more flexible you are with regard to dates and times of travel, the more successful you are likely to be.

Nevertheless, it's also important to understand that due to customer demand, award seats may not be available on all flights or to all destinations. When revenue demand is great, such as during holidays and other peak travel seasons, the seat allocation for MileSAAver award travel will be limited.

Still, the overwhelming majority of AAdvantage® award tickets are issued from MileSAAver and other capacity controlled awards. With more than 4 million AAdvantage® awards issued annually, literally millions of members are successful in arranging such travel. However, this does not mean that every member who wants to claim a MileSAAver award seat on a specific flight will always be able to do so.

That's why we also offer higher mileage AAnytime® awards on American Airlines and American Eagle, for which there are no restrictions of any kind. Any seat, on any flight, on any day of the week is available to an AAnytime® award user as long as the cabin is not completely sold-out. Naturally, such unrestricted travel comes at a higher "price" in terms of mileage levels - not unlike the difference between unrestricted full fares and more limited discount fares.

That said, with One-Way Flex Awards, it is possible for members to "mix and match" different award types. For instance, if a MileSAAver award is available on your outbound flight, but not on your return, it is possible for you to book a MileSAAver award for your outbound flight and an AAnytime award on your return. This gives you the opportunity to get the most flexibility out of the miles that you have.

We are also proud to offer our members the opportunity to redeem AAdvantage® miles for hotel stays and car rentals.

Also, Our AAdvantage® reservation personnel can help to see what is available for booking at the present time. They can be reached at 1-800-882-8880 and are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thank you for allowing me to explain and for your participation in our AAdvantage program, we hope to welcome you aboard soon!

Sincerely,

Kyle Calef
Customer Relations
American Airlines
That they would bother to send such a lame response that entirely ignored your question is just one more sign (as if we needed another) of how little they care.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:41 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
They didn't even read your question. Instead, they sent you the "Mileage Award Availability" form letter. That selection could have been completely automated.

Whenever I get one of their form letters, I reply with "Thank you for the form letter. This time, please actually read my question.". Then copy in the original email body.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the risk of providing this thread with more information (and non-responses) than anyone could want, here is a second reply I received from AA. I'd actually sent the same question re Etihad in twice, to two different sub-headings under "Topic". I believe but am not sure that the first reply was the one I sent regarding AAdvantage. This one is probably the response regarding Customer Relations...though it could well be that the two different responses are simply because two different representatives handled the matter.

Anyway...this one is marginally more responsive, but with an emphasis on marginally. But look at the special offer AA makes in its "PS" for accumulating more miles that can't be used. Exciting!

Hello Thunderroad,

It's our pleasure to assist our AAdvantage® Executive Platinum members.
Thanks for contacting us here at AAdvantage Customer Service.

I am sorry you've been disappointed in arranging award travel with
Etihad.

We appreciate the time you took to contact us and wish we could give you
an immediate response. However, since AAdvantage Customer Service is not
involved in the reservation process and reservations cannot respond via
email we respectfully ask that you contact the AAdvantage Executive
Platinum reservation desk.

They will have the most up to date information on award flight
availability. Please contact our colleagues in AAdvantage® Executive
Platinum Reservations directly:

* From the U.S. or Canada, call 800-843-6200
* If you?re outside the U.S. or Canada, visit our website at
aa.com/phones to find the number for the reservations office nearest
you.
* If you're unable to call, you can also send us a Tweet @AmericanAir
and our social media team may be able to assist.

Our colleagues look forward to hearing from you soon.

Stephen, while necessary change is sometimes uncomfortable for all
concerned, we hope you will join us in agreeing that we are making the
right decisions to succeed. We are eager to regain your goodwill and
your confidence in the AAdvantage® program and hope to continue to do
business with you.

Kind Regards,

Terri C.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines

P.S. Did you know that you earn up to 25,000 AAdvantage miles by
switching your mobile service to Sprint? Or, if you're an existing
Sprint customer, you can earn up to 5,000 AAdvantage miles per year.
Visit Sprint.com/AAdvantage for all of the details.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Sep 12, 2017 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:56 am

I think they only react to twitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.