Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:45 pm

I was trying to book a flight to JFK and couldn't for next summer because AA shows no seats available. I talked to a supervisor who said this was because the partnership was ending sometime in the near future. I don't quite know if he was right though, because the short-hauls are still available, but he seemed to be sure the partnership ending was causing this. I just booked on CX as I was flying from India, so it is the same number of miles to fly through HKG as AUH.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:17 am

Called AUS call center this morning, was able to book Biz AMD - AUH, still no availability for AUH-JFK.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:31 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
My experience last month was as follows:

- Etihad Guest showed plenty of availability in J from HYD-AUH-IAD/DFW for March 2018.
- Called AA. They saw availability too, and booked two tickets for me.
Took all of 10 minutes or less.

After 10 days, I needed to book two more tickets on the same itinerary:
- Etihad website was up and down intermittently for a few days
- When Eithad website was finally stable, it showed plenty of availability in J
- AA claimed they could see nothing
- I HUACAed a few times - same result: no availability
- Finally had to book J on QR from HYD-DOH-PHL
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I had a very enlightening talk with an AA US agent this morning, who seemed to really know her stuff, especially when it came to booking BA, CX and EY Aadvantage awards.

When she checked EY availability, she said "Looks like they haven't opened up J and F cabins to us YET. They are probably waiting to make enough profit on the flight before they open this to us." Interesting comment, as profit has been a big issue for EY.

Most agents just tell me there's flat out nothing available but she said to call back once or twice a week to check as this might open up any minute, as she has seen this happen all the time.

She then proceeded to hold the following res for me:

MLE-AUH - EY in F
AUH-CDG - EY in F
CDG-JFK - AA in J

All of this is for April 2018.

So, this is not due to partnership "ending", and I don't believe its because EY web site is not showing correct availability. It very much is showing what's there, but I think there is less of 1:1 correlation now between what's shown as available as "Guest Seat" and what AA can see.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by yrs
My experience last month was as follows:

- Etihad Guest showed plenty of availability in J from HYD-AUH-IAD/DFW for March 2018.
- Called AA. They saw availability too, and booked two tickets for me.
Took all of 10 minutes or less.

After 10 days, I needed to book two more tickets on the same itinerary:
- Etihad website was up and down intermittently for a few days
- When Eithad website was finally stable, it showed plenty of availability in J
- AA claimed they could see nothing
- I HUACAed a few times - same result: no availability
- Finally had to book J on QR from HYD-DOH-PHL
You didn't give dates...on 8/26 I had no problem at all booking based on availability shown on the EY web site. Apparently the problems began soon afterwards.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by yang1900
I had a very enlightening talk with an AA US agent this morning, who seemed to really know her stuff, especially when it came to booking BA, CX and EY Aadvantage awards.

When she checked EY availability, she said "Looks like they haven't opened up J and F cabins to us YET. They are probably waiting to make enough profit on the flight before they open this to us." Interesting comment, as profit has been a big issue for EY.

Most agents just tell me there's flat out nothing available but she said to call back once or twice a week to check as this might open up any minute, as she has seen this happen all the time.

She then proceeded to hold the following res for me:

MLE-AUH - EY in F
AUH-CDG - EY in F
CDG-JFK - AA in J

All of this is for April 2018.

So, this is not due to partnership "ending", and I don't believe its because EY web site is not showing correct availability. It very much is showing what's there, but I think there is less of 1:1 correlation now between what's shown as available as "Guest Seat" and what AA can see.
Interesting stuff. Not sure I buy her "they're waiting to make enough profit on the flight" line of reasoning, since all flights on certain routes are shut down for awards.

Still, who knows for sure at this point? Thanks very much for sharing this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:59 pm

Parsing what a telephone agent says is not particularly useful. There is no reason for them to know what is really going on. If an agent happens to be correct in retrospect, it is probably just a random thing. Or maybe a particular agent really is genuinely knowledgeable, but we don't know.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
DP: EY showing plenty of guest availability in March 2018 from HYD - AUH - IAD in F, called Aus to put on hold and they can only see few but not my desired dates.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mgodara
DP: EY showing plenty of guest availability in March 2018 from HYD - AUH - IAD in F, called Aus to put on hold and they can only see few but not my desired dates.
Hmmm...this is one of the more interesting posts here, in that it indicates at least limited AUH-USA availability. Not sure if there's any way to know this, but any sense of why those particular dates were available?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:43 am

Expert Flyer Vs Agent

Tried to book the following ticket

EY 103 AUH to JFK (Guest First (O))

Expert Flyer shows 2 seats available in Guest First (O) the agent says no seat available called the Australian Center

Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:45 am

I've tried to book similar with no luck. EY website shows availability but US, Australian and even Brazilian call centers show no availability. Also shows availability on expertflyer website. Frustrating.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: QR Platinum (OWE) / BA GOLD (OWE)/ CI Emerald (ST E+)/ SQ PPS (*G)
Successfully booked 2 F seats flying AUH-CDG in Jan 2018.
It's highly dependent on route.

Has anyone confirmed the seats on Etihad's website are actually bookable. Some are reporting them being phantom seats as well. So for now I'm siding with the IT side rather than the intentional blocking side.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver_dvs
Successfully booked 2 F seats flying AUH-CDG in Jan 2018.
It's highly dependent on route.

Has anyone confirmed the seats on Etihad's website are actually bookable. Some are reporting them being phantom seats as well. So for now I'm siding with the IT side rather than the intentional blocking side.
Do keep in mind the bulk of this new development (and reports pertaining to same) specifically applies to EY awards to/from the U.S.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:46 am

Tried booking IAD to AMD in biz class for November travel. Seat available on EY site but AA agent in Aus call center couldn't see any biz class from IAD to AUH leg..

Told me try again around start of October or September end..Not sure what is going on. Anyone figure out what might we need to do? Try calling US call center??
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, Alaska MVP
Just another DP along the same lines:

IAD -> AUH in late November in F or J. Etihad site shows availability, AA Australia call center can't see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.