Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed, such a thing is a risk with partners - the other airlines can have ticketing time limits on bookings and if not ticketed by that time, the hold will get cancelled.

Even if you had purchased 6 houts earlier, unless ticketed immefdiately, the same issue could still have occurred
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
Wow, that would really piss me off.

Is this a standalone segment or do you have connecting flights before and/or after this one? We have a few EY101 bookings coming up, but they are all sandwiched between connecting flights on both ends.
I've been booted 3x from EY101 to 103, AA has moved me back, but they say that is is Etihad doing this. Now maybe etihad knows something we dont know. Maybe they are going remove the a380 off the 101? Or maybe they are just disallowing award tix? Today even though the 101 seat are available online, and the agent can see them, he can not confirm the seats. Uhg.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by exmike
I've been booted 3x from EY101 to 103, AA has moved me back, but they say that is is Etihad doing this. Now maybe etihad knows something we dont know. Maybe they are going remove the a380 off the 101? Or maybe they are just disallowing award tix? Today even though the 101 seat are available online, and the agent can see them, he can not confirm the seats. Uhg.
Suspect this relates to an "imoending divorce" ?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
Was booted from 102 to 100 three weeks ago per Etihad's doing for a Dec departure and still working out the situation. Seems like everything is back on their end but AA is taking their sweet ole time ticketing the new reservation.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:53 pm

I don't know if its just me, but I'm unable to get US / AUS / NZ to see any J availability on AUH - US destinations in April 2018, when there are 4+ seats showing on Etihad's Guest inventory. They are able to see Y availability though.

Is this a glitch, or something larger happening?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by avs92
I don't know if its just me, but I'm unable to get US / AUS / NZ to see any J availability on AUH - US destinations in April 2018, when there are 4+ seats showing on Etihad's Guest inventory. They are able to see Y availability though.

Is this a glitch, or something larger happening?
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. While Etihad Guest shows availability for 2F and 4J LHR-AUH, no one can see it, only in coach, including Brazil, USA, UK, New Zealand and Australia call centers. The second segment AUH-AMM is always available in Business.

One question, as AUH-AMM only have J cabin, the correct way to book the mixed cabin award would be book LHR-AUH-AMM in J, put the reservation on hold and then try to put the first segment in F?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I just went through the same ordeal. Trying to book MLE-AUH-JFK in F for April 2018. Tried calling AU and US numbers and they couldn’t see anything. When I tried NZ, they also didn’t see anything but when he looked further the agent got a notification saying the Etihad awards hadn’t been updated in the system and to try back in an hour. So... crossing my fingers!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by yang1900
I just went through the same ordeal. Trying to book MLE-AUH-JFK in F for April 2018. Tried calling AU and US numbers and they couldn’t see anything. When I tried NZ, they also didn’t see anything but when he looked further the agent got a notification saying the Etihad awards hadn’t been updated in the system and to try back in an hour. So... crossing my fingers!
This must just be a temporary and unintended issue. I just ticketed MLE-AUH-JFK in F for April 2018 less than 2 weeks ago with no issues at all. The calendar was wide open, with 2 F seats available for all but a handful of dates over the several months I looked, and NZ could see exactly what I was seeing.

Thanks for posting about the possibility that the award space simply not being updated. Now that it is a known issue, it may not be long for them to get it fixed.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:18 am

Need help/suggestion,
My wife is traveling to india with two kids(5yr and 2yr). I dont want to book 3 business seats because all three can fit in two seats. I prefer 2 bus and one economy to save miles. Will they allow to book my 5 yr old in economy?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by coolmuke
Need help/suggestion,
My wife is traveling to india with two kids(5yr and 2yr). I dont want to book 3 business seats because all three can fit in two seats. I prefer 2 bus and one economy to save miles. Will they allow to book my 5 yr old in economy?
No. And that's a good thing.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:54 am

I tried calling back to the AA NZ call center and still no availability. After some back and forth, the agent told me she is actually located in Trinidad and, they are handling the calls for that call center.

So OZ call center is in Fiji and NZ call center is in Trinidad.

I'm so confused!

I see availability on Etihad and Expertflyer and I can't book it
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by yang1900
I tried calling back to the AA NZ call center and still no availability. After some back and forth, the agent told me she is actually located in Trinidad and, they are handling the calls for that call center.

So OZ call center is in Fiji and NZ call center is in Trinidad.

I'm so confused!

I see availability on Etihad and Expertflyer and I can't book it
It's a time of day thing. Calls get auto-routed to open call centers. Try calling back during NZ business hours. The NZ call center is actually located in Fiji.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:37 pm

Ok, so I tried calling AA UK number, and it routed me to Fiji (even though its 7:30pm in UK). The agent told me that they use a Sabre-based system called Acorn. I am aware of the Amadeus/Sabre issue but I guess my problem is being able to get to a call center that's actually based where its based, as I think most European call centers are on Amadeus.

However, I did make an award booking in J through the OZ call enter in July so I'm starting to think its not a technical issue. Also, I was able to reserve the MLE-AUH leg, but not AUH-JFK.

My conclusion is that it might be EY limiting redemptions from AAdvantage, all the while its showing Guest-bookable on their site.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:01 pm

Quite strange. Out of ORD, there is occasional close-in J availability (e.g. 5 for tomorrow, and a few next week) and 2 are available every day ~330 days out. However, out of JFK, there is zero availability close-in, and zero ~330 days out. Just nothing at all ever.

The above is for searching one-ways USA-AUH. If searching using round-trips originating in AUH, there is lots of availability USA-AUH both close-in and ~330 days out. That difference is not news, but the question is why ORD should be favored over JFK for US-originating one-way award listings, in spite of the much higher capacity out of JFK.

Whether all shown availability can be booked is a separate question, but I was able to book an ORD-originating award nearly 330 days out so that part is real.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:39 pm

So I called the NZ line, and checked for J availability from AUH-US destinations in September, and they were available on all the dates Etihad showed Guest availability.

But they still cannot see J availability for dates next year. So perhaps they are only releasing in the short-term and holding back the rest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.