Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:10 am

If you call Aus/NZ will the 5 day hold be on US local time or their time?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyGuy24
If you call Aus/NZ will the 5 day hold be on US local time or their time?
Local time at the departure airport. So if you are booking two one-ways, remember the return booking deadline time is not the same as the outbound. Agents can be confused about this and sometimes give wrong information.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Called NZ last night and seamlessly booked KTM-AUH-JFK in biz. Awesome. Thanks to all for making this happen! Now if only F would open!
Are you sure this is good value for 100k miles in business considering a one way paid fare in J is just 1928USD including all taxes?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Are you sure this is good value for 100k miles in business considering a one way paid fare in J is just 1928USD including all taxes?
Seems like a fine deal to me especially in light of how cheap AA miles are nowadays.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Seems like a fine deal to me especially in light of how cheap AA miles are nowadays.
It works out 100k miles to replace an itinerary costing ~1850USD that would have earned about 11k miles.

A great deal if these miles came for free, an OK deal if the OP intends to stopover in AUH (costs 200USD extra on the paid fare). But buying miles to redeem even at the lowest rate of 1.72cents per mile is not a deal since the saving works out 130USD which is 7.6k miles worth.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edy4eva
It works out 100k miles to replace an itinerary costing ~1850USD that would have earned about 11k miles.

A great deal if these miles came for free, an OK deal if the OP intends to stopover in AUH (costs 200USD extra on the paid fare). But buying miles to redeem even at the lowest rate of 1.72cents per mile is not a deal since the saving works out 130USD which is 7.6k miles worth.
I'd never buy the miles nor recommend it, that goes without saying.

The earning 11K miles isn't even remotely worth factoring in.

I say:

- have AA miles?

- Find a use for them?

- BURN AA MILES.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I'd never buy the miles nor recommend it, that goes without saying.

The earning 11K miles isn't even remotely worth factoring in.

I say:

- have AA miles?

- Find a use for them?

- BURN AA MILES.
Exactly. I'm aware the fare is cheap from KTM on QR or EY (QR nice for EQMs) but I am sitting on over 2MM miles in AAdvantage alone, am well past EXP for next year already so seems like a good use of miles to me!

I may relent and fly on QR paid for the reasons you post but we'll see.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
- have AA miles?

- Find a use for them?

- BURN AA MILES.
Miles are just another currency. Getting a lousy return for that currency is not a good plan, unless the currency will collapse or unless you have no other choice. My average return is over 6c/mile and, while there has been devaluation recently, it's amazing to see people burning them for under 2c/mile. QR, EY, CX and QF all provide many opportunities for much better returns on AA miles than that.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Miles are just another currency. Getting a lousy return for that currency is not a good plan, unless the currency will collapse or unless you have no other choice. My average return is over 6c/mile and, while there has been devaluation recently, it's amazing to see people burning them for under 2c/mile. QR, EY, CX and QF all provide many opportunities for much better returns on AA miles than that.
That may be but why sit on 2 MM next to useless miles while already having qualified for EXP? What would be the point of spending ANY money when you don't need more miles or EQMs?
BTW - in case you haven't noticed, that "currency" (aka AA miles) you are referring to has already collapsed by a combination of devaluation and next to no availability of sAAver awards.
I am with Jon - have AA miles - find a use for them - spend them

Last edited by Paulchili; Jul 16, 2017 at 12:40 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Miles may be a form of currency, but a very limited one. You cannot spend miles at your local bodega to pay for a sandwich. You can however use cash everywhere. So it's not just a case of measuring return, but of paring down balances of the least flexible form of payment you have in order to save the most flexible and valuable ones you do. I am with JonNYC on this one too
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Miles may be a form of currency, but a very limited one. You cannot spend miles at your local bodega to pay for a sandwich. You can however use cash everywhere. So it's not just a case of measuring return, but of paring down balances of the least flexible form of payment you have in order to save the most flexible and valuable ones you do. I am with JonNYC on this one too
Also, cash unlike miles can be invested to grow with time and counteract inflation (its equivalent in the case of miles would be devaluation).

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 16, 2017 at 11:51 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
DP:

I wanted to change existing reservation from 10:15 AM flight to 3:35 AM.
EY website showed 1 seat available AUH-JFK
Called US AA EXP....Agent said only economy available ( No thanks!)
Called the Singapore number and agent said it's available...also said you get some tax refund!.... and was transferred to the EXP line which sounded US based and handled the refund!
I wanted to change a domestic segment as well....Singapore agent said nothing available on a regional with economy seats only...But the EXP agent said its available!
New AA shenanigans in play...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:02 am

Is it impossible to book JFK-AUH in F and tack on a regional flight (say ... ORD-JFK-AUH) in Business on the same award? The 2 agents I've tried with have been booking 2 awards 165k one way from ORD-JFK-AUH.

Does this 2 award apply to JFK-AUH-MLE in F ?

They are saying because the regional 321/737 flights don't have a first class cabin I must book 2 awards.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by patrickf3
Is it impossible to book JFK-AUH in F and tack on a regional flight (say ... ORD-JFK-AUH) in Business on the same award? The 2 agents I've tried with have been booking 2 awards 165k one way from ORD-JFK-AUH.

Does this 2 award apply to JFK-AUH-MLE in F ?

They are saying because the regional 321/737 flights don't have a first class cabin I must book 2 awards.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...etihad-awards/

Found this regarding mixed cabin - will call back to see if I have success this time.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Anyone have any experience selecting seats in J? I posted a question on the EY forum but no one seems to want/be able to answer.

I'm currently booked in an aisle seat, as all other windows are booked apart from 8a and k. They're blocked, anyone have any experience booking these at check in?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.