Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by jacisme
I believe AA/Etihad dropped my holding seats before the official time that was supposed to happen. Now I'm waiting for them to pop back into award inventory. Any idea how long that takes? Will they even get released again automatically once they hit the system, or does Etihad keep them out of award inventory even though they were once there and were never officially booked?
I have very limited experience. But a few days ago, I had AUH-HKG on hold for 2 in J. After putting it on hold, I double checked the EY website, and the availability did reflect my hold.

I cancelled the hold and checked the EY website maybe a few hours after and the award seats were showing again. But just one datapoint.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:45 pm

I believe AA/Etihad dropped my holding seats before the official time that was supposed to happen. Now I'm waiting for them to pop back into award inventory. Any idea how long that takes? Will they even get released again automatically once they hit the system, or does Etihad keep them out of award inventory even though they were once there and were never officially booked?
It could happen or not. I've had several instances where after the hold expiry, the inventory evaporated altogether.

My guess is that it only takes a discounted fare in J/F to be sold for the award inventory to be affected. If during the hold that happens, the award inventory will NOT return.

Last time this happened with me was last Friday and I ended up purchasing a ticket with EY. Now the flight is zeroed out in A/R and I will monitor the flight right up to departure to report whether any reward seat gets released.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:35 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I would suggest you book new dates and then use the free time and date changes with AA. Setup an alert with E/F.

I've had this happen with Advantage before.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I set out to book two EY F awards, DTW-BOM via NYC.

After several calls to Australia/NZ, I was able to successfully put DTW-LGA and JFK-AUH on hold (for some reason, no one was able to put all three segments on the same ticket; whatever, I thought, I'll call again to add the last segment). EF showed 2F, 2J available on AUH-BOM.

No agent (tried US, Australia, NZ multiple times) was able to see availability in F or J on AUH-BOM when trying to add it to the ticket. They were able to see the correct inventory when attempting to book AUH-BOM as a separate ticket.

A NZ agent worked with her supervisors and apparently an Etihad liaison for over an hour, ultimately concluding that awards from the US to India via the Middle East cannot be booked without needing two separate reservations, "per AAdvantage policy." What?! I tried to explain that was ridiculous, but to no avail.

I was able to get AUH-BOM in Y for now after calling US reservations.

Anyone encountered this issue before? Should I keep trying?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aacar

After several calls to Australia/NZ, I was able to successfully put DTW-LGA and JFK-AUH on hold (for some reason, no one was able to put all three segments on the same ticket; whatever, I thought, I'll call again to add the last segment). EF showed 2F, 2J available on AUH-BOM.

No agent (tried US, Australia, NZ multiple times) was able to see availability in F or J on AUH-BOM when trying to add it to the ticket. They were able to see the correct inventory when attempting to book AUH-BOM as a separate ticket.

A NZ agent worked with her supervisors and apparently an Etihad liaison for over an hour, ultimately concluding that awards from the US to India via the Middle East cannot be booked without needing two separate reservations, "per AAdvantage policy." What?! I tried to explain that was ridiculous, but to no avail.

I was able to get AUH-BOM in Y for now after calling US reservations.

Anyone encountered this issue before? Should I keep trying?
One idea to try might be to try and book it as JFK-AUH-BOM and see what happens.

I'd think some kind of published fare/routing thing in any case, for sure try leaving out DTW and see if that helps.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 11, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by aacar

No agent (tried US, Australia, NZ multiple times) was able to see availability in F or J on AUH-BOM when trying to add it to the ticket. They were able to see the correct inventory when attempting to book AUH-BOM as a separate ticket...
The way EY sets it up, availability on JFK-AUH and AUH-BOM does not necessarily mean availability on JFK-BOM. This is described in the wiki.

Did you search on EY's web page before booking and see availability for JFK-BOM? If so, you should ask for JFK-BOM rather than the segments individually. You can add the AA segments later, that isn't an issue.

EY also does some weird stuff to prevent changes being made to an existing booking, even when it allows a new booking for the route you're changing to. Damned if I know why or how they do that.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The way EY sets it up, availability on JFK-AUH and AUH-BOM does not necessarily mean availability on JFK-BOM. Did you search on EY's web page before booking and see availability for JFK-BOM? If so, you should have asked for JFK-BOM rather than the segments separately. You can add the AA segments later, that isn't an issue.

EY also does some weird stuff to prevent changes being made to an existing booking, even when it allows a new booking for the route you're changing to. Damned if I know why or how they do that.
Yes, there was availability JFK-BOM. I'll try calling tomorrow to remove DTW-LGA and then upgrade AUH-BOM to F. Although if existing bookings can't be easily modified, I may be out of luck.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:33 pm

hey guys, anyone have recent experience getting chauffer service with aa award on Etihad? I thought it was discontinued last year, but I am able to request it online today for some reason.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by babypuwet
hey guys, anyone have recent experience getting chauffer service with aa award on Etihad? I thought it was discontinued last year, but I am able to request it online today for some reason.
You may be able to request it online, but if you check the booking in the EY site later, you will likely see that the request was declined
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Are you able to complete the request, or are you just seeing the "You are eligible" wording and are able to start the request? If the latter, that's standard, that's EY IT for you. After being made to enter all sorts of details, you will be declined.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 12, 2017 at 2:23 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Are you able to complete the request, or are you just seeing the "You are eligible" wording and are able to start the request? If the latter, that's standard, that's EY IT for you. After being made to enter all sorts of details, you will be declined.
I was able to complete the request online. I guess I will wait and see if it gets confirmed. Same thing happened to me last year. I had AAdvantage awards ticketed on F for my family of 5. All of the tickets had to be re-issued after the august 10th deadline due to a 10 minute schedule change. A couple of the chauffer requests went through and I actually received phone calls day before the flight to confirm pickup. Unfortunately, there wasn't space for all of us, so I had to cancel it.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
AA Terminates Codeshare Agreement With Etihad
http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/aa...escalates.html

I wonder if this would include AAwards, or lead into such.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LukeO9
AA Terminates Codeshare Agreement With Etihad
http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/aa...escalates.html

I wonder if this would include AAwards, or lead into such.
Discussed here:
AA Ending AA Codeshare On QR / Qatar and EY / Etihad 25 Mar 2018

No reason to assume any more than announced at this juncture.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Many thanks to all on here for making the impossible, possible.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Called NZ last night and seamlessly booked KTM-AUH-JFK in biz. Awesome. Thanks to all for making this happen! Now if only F would open!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.