Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some people have had success, however there is no recourse if the airline declines to move back other than cancelling the booking

Wih the schedule change, the system has simply worked at rebooking on the best option and a later departure with same time arrival does meet that

Just need to wait and see what the airline comes back with
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Wih the schedule change, the system has simply worked at rebooking on the best option and a later departure with same time arrival does meet that
A schedule change from 2:15 PM to 2:00 PM seems extremely unlikely to have caused an automated reaccommodation to a 10:00 PM flight. In my experience, auto-reaccommodation is only triggered when there's a connecting flight in the same record that becomes illegal (in the majority of cases, I've not been auto-reaccommodated but had to call). An auto-reaccommodation for a 15-minute change without connecting flights in the same record would be highly unusual in my experience. reverted said the flights to JFK are on another airline, so presumably in a separate PNR.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by reverted
I was on JFK-AUH in F x 2 people on EY102 departing 2:15PM for Dec 2018.
Did you perhaps mean December 2017? I didn't think EY even has a schedule over a year in advance.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anabolism
A schedule change from 2:15 PM to 2:00 PM seems extremely unlikely to have caused an automated reaccommodation to a 10:00 PM flight. In my experience, auto-reaccommodation is only triggered when there's a connecting flight in the same record that becomes illegal (in the majority of cases, I've not been auto-reaccommodated but had to call). An auto-reaccommodation for a 15-minute change without connecting flights in the same record would be highly unusual in my experience. reverted said the flights to JFK are on another airline, so presumably in a separate PNR.
It doesn't sound unusual for EY and award tickets - have read othre reports of such changes to booking occurring
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Did you perhaps mean December 2017? I didn't think EY even has a schedule over a year in advance.
Thank you for correcting haha my trip spans Dec 2017-Jan 2018 so I've been getting dates and years mixed up.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:20 pm

Called NZ yesterday and put 2 JFK-AUH in First on hold for March. I need a third and J would be fine however no guest seats are showing. I created a dummy booking and the seat map shows all unsold thus far. I'm not familiar with their current pattern for releasing seats, seemed predictable in the past. Is it possible that they will not release any or is it just a waiting game? I don't mind the wait but but I do need a seat. Expertflyer is showing zero availability on other dates I checked however the EY website will show availability. ??? I created an alert but I'm not sure I should trust it. I guess they only see what U.S. agents see. Thoughts?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:51 am

Looking for LAX to JRO on Etihad for January 23rd or January 24th biz seat for AA redemption. Anything?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by metoo
Looking for LAX to JRO on Etihad for January 23rd or January 24th biz seat for AA redemption. Anything?
I don't believe EY flies to JRO. Better to look at QR.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by ctdohert2
Called NZ yesterday and put 2 JFK-AUH in First on hold for March. I need a third and J would be fine however no guest seats are showing. I created a dummy booking and the seat map shows all unsold thus far. I'm not familiar with their current pattern for releasing seats, seemed predictable in the past. Is it possible that they will not release any or is it just a waiting game? I don't mind the wait but but I do need a seat. Expertflyer is showing zero availability on other dates I checked however the EY website will show availability. ??? I created an alert but I'm not sure I should trust it. I guess they only see what U.S. agents see. Thoughts?
You should check discount J availability (e.g., I) as well as looking at the seat map, to get a better idea of availability.

EF only performs award availability searches using a U.S. point-of-sale, which I believe explains why EF's availability matches what U.S.-based AA agent see. EF added other PoS locations for flight availability searches, but not for award availability. I suspect EF does not believe that award availability can vary based on point-of-sale.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Alaska MVP
Hi everyone,

I want to book a business seat from SFO to BOM (or DEL) for Nov 7 2017, but I do not see any availability from SFO. I called US AA number, but they too could not find anything.
What are my options from SFO? Can I do SFO->LAX->AUH->BOM or SFO->DFW->AUH->BOM in same amount of points?

I am new at this and trying to learn.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sur_explorer
Hi everyone,

I want to book a business seat from SFO to BOM (or DEL) for Nov 7 2017, but I do not see any availability from SFO. I called US AA number, but they too could not find anything.
What are my options from SFO? Can I do SFO->LAX->AUH->BOM or SFO->DFW->AUH->BOM in same amount of points?

I am new at this and trying to learn.
Yes, both of those alternate routings should be the same amount of points (US-India). You would just need to find the availability on each segment. I would use the EY website to search for LAX-BOM, DFW-BOM, IAD-BOM, JFK-BOM and same for DEL and see if you can find availability on any of those. Afterwards, if you do in fact find availability for your dates then you can go back and check the domestic AA availability to see if you can find a match. If you can't it may be worth just booking the domestic segment(s) separately as a paid ticket on AA (or any airline) and position to your award.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:34 am

I am sure some of the experts here will have insight on this:

I followed what was mentioned in the earlier part of this posting. Found a Etihad "Guest First" Seat on the Etihad flight from Bom - JFK for Jan 17th.

If I do a one way search from JFK-Bom for Jan 1st - it shows "No Availability" in Guest First.

However, if I do a round trip search from BOM - JFK - BOM leaving BOM on Nov 1st (Not the date I really want), and return Jan 1st (that means my JFK-BOM portion would be on Jan 1st - it shows availability in Guest First.

I called the Australia number and was able to grab the BOM - JFK on Jan 17th. But, they are not able to find the Jan 1st seat. I even called the NZ number and same response.
I just joined "Expert Flyer" and it shows no availability on Jan 1st from JFK-BOM.

What am I missing here or what am I doing wrong?

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EP
I struggle to see how an award seat would be available on 1/1. That is going to be the big day post xmasNew Yera.

Originally Posted by NWPlatHouston
I am sure some of the experts here will have insight on this:

I followed what was mentioned in the earlier part of this posting. Found a Etihad "Guest First" Seat on the Etihad flight from Bom - JFK for Jan 17th.

If I do a one way search from JFK-Bom for Jan 1st - it shows "No Availability" in Guest First.

However, if I do a round trip search from BOM - JFK - BOM leaving BOM on Nov 1st (Not the date I really want), and return Jan 1st (that means my JFK-BOM portion would be on Jan 1st - it shows availability in Guest First.

I called the Australia number and was able to grab the BOM - JFK on Jan 17th. But, they are not able to find the Jan 1st seat. I even called the NZ number and same response.
I just joined "Expert Flyer" and it shows no availability on Jan 1st from JFK-BOM.

What am I missing here or what am I doing wrong?

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, both of those alternate routings should be the same amount of points (US-India). You would just need to find the availability on each segment. I would use the EY website to search for LAX-BOM, DFW-BOM, IAD-BOM, JFK-BOM and same for DEL and see if you can find availability on any of those. Afterwards, if you do in fact find availability for your dates then you can go back and check the domestic AA availability to see if you can find a match. If you can't it may be worth just booking the domestic segment(s) separately as a paid ticket on AA (or any airline) and position to your award.
Thanks a lot. I found a DFW->AUH->BOM flight in business and for SFO->DFW segment in economy for now. I have put it on hold for now and will ticket it if I don't find anything better.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:36 am
Formerly known as jlars77

AA Award Cancelled Early by Etihad

Accounting for GST time, my AA hold was cancelled by Etihad 5 hours before the stated expiration time (as I found out when I called to book the award). My fault for waiting until the last minute, but interesting in that it did not return to inventory and has not 24 hrs later.

The US AAgent was able to rebook me one day later without issue which is encouraging (called Oz to book original hold). Not a complaint, just a cautionary tale to not fiddle-fart around as I did on a Etihad award hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.