Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Old Dec 31, 15, 8:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

A new thread is being started in 2016 to discuss how to book Etihad award seats, and share success stories.

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 28, 17 at 7:48 am Reason: Updating OP
Old Jan 1, 16, 7:19 am

Programs: LX SEN
I plan to book sth like FRA-AUH-SYD-ADL / ADL-HKG-FRA.
I guess this would result in 3 awards:
1. Europe - ME
2. ME - Australia
3. Australia - Europe

Three questions:
1. What can I expect in terms of fees and taxes. Will it be much higher than a singe Europe-Australia return ticket?
2. Outbound Europe-ME-Australia will be on EY. As I need two seperate awards will it also consists of two seperate ticket numbers? In this case it probably makes sense to plan a stop-over in AUH.
3. I read that there could be difficulties to add SYD-ADL after the EY flight. Is this a real problem?

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 28, 17 at 7:50 am Reason: Removed reference to deleted post
Old Jan 1, 16, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by alinghi90 View Post
I plan to book sth like FRA-AUH-SYD-ADL / ADL-HKG-FRA.
I guess this would result in 3 awards:
1. Europe - ME
2. ME - Australia
3. Australia - Europe

Three questions:
1. What can I expect in terms of fees and taxes. Will it be much higher than a singe Europe-Australia return ticket?
2. Inbound Europe-ME-Australia will be on EY. As I need two seperate awards will it also consists of two seperate ticket numbers? In this case it probably makes sense to plan a stop-over in AUH.
3. I read that there could be difficulties to add SYD-ADL after the EY flight. Is this a real problem?
Inbound means the return leg BTW.

1. In business, for the outbound including a QF dom leg (assuming it's permitted) 75k miles and about 320USD, the inbound 60k miles about 103USD.
2. Yes it's worthwhile to break the journey in AUH, as it's charged as 2 awards.
3. If you're asking about including it as a single award it might not work for every point in AU (depends on routing permitted on EY fares ex-FRA), the AA agent will quote you the correct amount 99% of the time so not sure where you've read about these difficulties?

BTW a simple paid CX fare from FRA is just 4100EUR, so about 1100EUR above the current cost of buying 135k miles and paying the taxes on this redemption. The paid fare allows for stopovers in HKG and earns miles/status, might be worth to consider.

And an EK or QF J fare is only 3300EUR. So not really a bargain to use AA miles on this trip (unless dates/times/route suit).

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 1, 16 at 7:44 am
Old Jan 1, 16, 7:51 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Inbound means the return leg BTW.

1. In business, for the outbound including a QF dom leg (assuming it's permitted) 75k miles and about 320USD, the inbound 60k miles about 103USD.
2. Yes it's worthwhile to break the journey in AUH, as it's charged as 2 awards.
3. If you're asking about including it as a single award it might not work for every point in AU (depends on routing permitted on EY fares ex-FRA), the AA agent will quote you the correct amount 99% of the time so not sure where you've read about these difficulties?

BTW a simple paid CX fare from FRA is just 4100EUR, so about 1100EUR above the current cost of buying 135k miles and paying the taxes on this redemption. The paid fare allows for stopovers in HKG and earns miles/status, might be worth to consider.

And an EK or QF J fare is only 3300EUR. So not really a bargain to use AA miles on this trip (unless dates/times/route suit).
Thanks. Well I already have the miles and prefer to use them before devaluation happens. Outbound will be in F and inbound on CX in C.

I guess I have to read more about how to add domestic legs in Australia. I do not want to be charged an additional domestic award.
Old Jan 1, 16, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alinghi90 View Post
Thanks. Well I already have the miles and prefer to use them before devaluation happens.
That makes you among the group we call "the smart ones"! ^ @:-)
Old Jan 1, 16, 10:07 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Waiting for reservation to ticket

I know there have been posts about Etihad cancelling a hold prior to the end of AA's hold period. Is there any chance of them doing the same in the period between purchasing the ticket and AA actually creating the ticket number? I know this can take a while (I'm at the 48 hour point now, and between the holidays and the fact that my trip isn't for 9 months I suspect I will have to wait a few more days at least). Am I being paranoid worrying about EY cancelling the reservation due to AA's delay? Should I be more proactive with AA trying to push the ticket up the queue?
Old Jan 1, 16, 10:55 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by Toronto1970 View Post
I know there have been posts about Etihad cancelling a hold prior to the end of AA's hold period. Is there any chance of them doing the same in the period between purchasing the ticket and AA actually creating the ticket number? I know this can take a while (I'm at the 48 hour point now, and between the holidays and the fact that my trip isn't for 9 months I suspect I will have to wait a few more days at least). Am I being paranoid worrying about EY cancelling the reservation due to AA's delay? Should I be more proactive with AA trying to push the ticket up the queue?
I am in exactly the same boat... reserved on 12/29, paid and booked on 12/30, still showing "On Request" for March travel.

I believe that the danger zone for Etihad to drop the reso is during AA's 5-day hold which is before paying and booking.

I phoned Australia after 24 hours yesterday and they told me minimum 72 hours. I will be monitoring and calling back tomorrow.

Mark
Old Jan 1, 16, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is due to a TTL that is imposed by EY, then "on hold" / "on request" is likely to make little difference to likelihood of losing the reservation; the only thing that should matter is the inclusion of a ticket number

Perhaps phone AA and ask if EY has informed of a ticketing time limit ; if it has, then it should be visible to the agent in the booking
Old Jan 1, 16, 1:12 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post

Perhaps phone AA and ask if EY has informed of a ticketing time limit ; if it has, then it should be visible to the agent in the booking
Is the actual ticketing done in one department worldwide or is that distributed by call centre as well? If I made the reservation through the NZ number, should I stick to that, or can a US agent push it up the ticketing queue as well (if you can find one to agree of course)
Old Jan 1, 16, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 View Post
Is the actual ticketing done in one department worldwide or is that distributed by call centre as well? If I made the reservation through the NZ number, should I stick to that, or can a US agent push it up the ticketing queue as well (if you can find one to agree of course)
Haven't used the NZ office myself, but the AU office is very helpful

I had an MH booking which had a TTL showing in it - the US office was as unhelpful and couldn't care less that the reservation would expire unless ticketed but the AU office , when I mentioned it was there, phoned the ticketing department and had it issued immediately

If the NZ number goes to the same people, then will be a great place to call. If you call the US office ( and you can get an agent that can actually be bothered to help ) it will end up having to be repriced in USD . I would suggest calling NZ
Old Jan 1, 16, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Haven't used the NZ office myself, but the AU office is very helpful

I had an MH booking which had a TTL showing in it - the US office was as unhelpful and couldn't care less that the reservation would expire unless ticketed but the AU office , when I mentioned it was there, phoned the ticketing department and had it issued immediately

If the NZ number goes to the same people, then will be a great place to call. If you call the US office ( and you can get an agent that can actually be bothered to help ) it will end up having to be repriced in USD . I would suggest calling NZ
When I originally ticketed an AUH-JFK F award, there was an issue with my being charged in AUD which prevented the ticket from being issued. It took a few calls, but a good agent finally called the rate desk, found out how much it would be in USD, and pushed it through. I changed the date, and it again wouldn't ticket. I got another good agent who called the rate desk, got the right amount to charge me, and it went through. If you are having the issue, I'd suggest asking them to call the rate desk and see if there's an issue with it beign priced in AUD and not USD.
Old Jan 1, 16, 3:39 pm

Booking AAdvantage Award travel on Etihad / EY - 2016 (Consolidated)

I booked a AUH-JFK-LAX a few days ago but it hadn't ticketed for two days. I just called in to check if everything is alright. The agent said the ticket was not processed because they required a credit card with UAE billing address since it's the originating country, and I gave a US card. Is this ever an issue? Maybe HUCA?
Old Jan 1, 16, 5:34 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Gold, Southwest/CP
I don't think it's unusual for it to take several days for these EY flights to ticket; from what I've read, AA has obtained the inventory and it's just a matter of the ticket being finalized.

For a relevant data point, I booked First Class tickets of LHR-AUH on A380 and AUH-DFW on 77L both for mid-March on 12/16, and they were "On Request" until 12/21 when they both went through. As soon as it did, I got EY PNRs from AA and was able to login via EY's website to book chauffeur, select seats, etc. So I'd give it at least another couple days before worrying about it at all.
Old Jan 1, 16, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Unable to change existing booking to AUH-JFK routing

To use up some AA miles before the devaluation, a few weeks ago I booked a First award BOM-AUH-LHR-SFO in early May, EY for the BOM-AUH-LHR leg and BA for the LHR-SFO leg.

Ideally I'd like to change this to The BOM-AUH-JFK-SFO to both remove the taxes and fees paid to fly out of LHR as well as getting a continuous chunk of time on the EY A380. When Etihad started releasing Guest First awards a couple days ago I gave AA a call to change my booking.

I called the Australian customer service center 3 times. The first one said they couldn't see availability and the second two said they were able to see availability and put together the itinerary but couldn't actually make the change. One of them claimed that Etihad uses "Journey Control" which was preventing the change while the other said they were seeing some error about "Indirect Access" preventing them from making the change.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this just another case of HUACA?
Old Jan 1, 16, 6:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Seems awfully unlikely that that would effectively make the distinction between through-fares and constructed fares, I'd think it would in all likelihood just show a revenue ticket EY is willing to sell.

Interesting experiment in any case.
An update: An FT'er asked me via PM about a routing that did not show up when I was dong my investigation. I checked it out, and it looks like Google has "enhanced" the features of their map. It now shows all of the constructed fares as well. So much for the experiment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: