Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Old Sep 14, 17, 10:58 am
  #3121  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 264
If someone makes a successful booking in First or Business from AUH to any US destinations please share.
INDFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:05 pm
  #3122  
869
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,589
I haven't been following this thread until now and don't know if near term flights are not impacted but just called to inquire on a USA-AUH flight next week and agent immediately saw availability in F and booked it. Ticket shows as On Request so I will have to wait and see if it tickets.
869 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:18 pm
  #3123  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,631
Originally Posted by 869 View Post
I haven't been following this thread until now and don't know if near term flights are not impacted but just called to inquire on a USA-AUH flight next week and agent immediately saw availability in F and booked it. Ticket shows as On Request so I will have to wait and see if it tickets.
Where in the US?
erik123 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:36 pm
  #3124  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,423
Originally Posted by 869 View Post
I haven't been following this thread until now and don't know if near term flights are not impacted but just called to inquire on a USA-AUH flight next week and agent immediately saw availability in F and booked it. Ticket shows as On Request so I will have to wait and see if it tickets.
Historically, close-in bookings have not had the same issues as bookings further out.
SeeBuyFly is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:38 pm
  #3125  
869
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,589
Departing IAD

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
Historically, close-in bookings have not had the same issues as bookings further out.
Which is why I mentioned that I wasn't sure if near term flights are impacted....

Last edited by 869; Sep 14, 17 at 4:40 pm Reason: answered 2nd question
869 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:47 pm
  #3126  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Jersey
Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, MileagePlus Gold
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by dwatcher View Post
sorry for OT, but has award tickets on QR impacted too? I wish to redeem AA miles on EY but since that is not working I was hoping I could redeem it on QR biz class on route IAD/PHL to AMD.
Not impacted. I just booked JFK-DOH-SEZ in business for July no problem with American miles over the phone.
bladel is offline  
Old Sep 14, 17, 7:45 pm
  #3127  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,631
Originally Posted by 869 View Post
Departing IAD



Which is why I mentioned that I wasn't sure if near term flights are impacted....
Those show on the EY award booking engine which indicates to me that JFK is blocked by EY.
erik123 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 17, 9:59 am
  #3128  
869
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,589
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Those show on the EY award booking engine which indicates to me that JFK is blocked by EY.
I don't think the existence of available award seats on one route really indicates much about availability on any other route. Especially one featuring a far superior product.
869 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 17, 7:48 pm
  #3129  
brg
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 216
EY space

JFK
In the past with 777 and 380
Same day space opens up 331 days ahead; opened up only on the 777
We were checking hourly for a friend going for wedding
Opens up at 9-10 AM AUH time, by the way
Now - A380 rarely open - unless expertflyer shows lots of unsold space

Blocking done by EY to JFK

IAD
The space here is open most days on EY website for partner awards
I can tell you after many trips the 787 F class is a bad product with very limited storage space and not even the same as the A340 - much better space and lavs, but gas guzzler.

AA is blocking this space for a while, esp in F class and business class
brg is offline  
Old Sep 15, 17, 10:38 pm
  #3130  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,733
Originally Posted by brg View Post
JFK...
...Blocking done by EY to JFK

IAD...
AA is blocking this space for a while, esp in F class and business class
JonNYC is offline  
Old Sep 15, 17, 11:05 pm
  #3131  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,065
There's a lot of speculation in this thread. The EY website will undergo maintanence 16-18 September so it's possible they are simply undergoing system changes as well

http://www.etihadguest.com/en/faqs/

I guess we'll find out on 19 September as to whether the issue is resolved.
m0hamed is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 12:24 am
  #3132  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 2,203
It wouldn't be AA that is blocking it, but EY.

Originally Posted by brg View Post
JFK
In the past with 777 and 380
Same day space opens up 331 days ahead; opened up only on the 777
We were checking hourly for a friend going for wedding
Opens up at 9-10 AM AUH time, by the way
Now - A380 rarely open - unless expertflyer shows lots of unsold space

Blocking done by EY to JFK

IAD
The space here is open most days on EY website for partner awards
I can tell you after many trips the 787 F class is a bad product with very limited storage space and not even the same as the A340 - much better space and lavs, but gas guzzler.

AA is blocking this space for a while, esp in F class and business class
AAExecPlatFlier is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 1:47 am
  #3133  
brg
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
It wouldn't be AA that is blocking it, but EY.
When EY blocks out saver award space to all partners
that is opens up space on the 777 while keeping 380 closed
That is not due to AA, but EY

When EY shows space to all partners and it is in the saver category
e.g., now from SFO-AUH all days there are 2-4 seats in Business
but AA "can't see them" in the US but UK agents can book it,
it is AA blocking premium awards on EY, not EY as is going on.

The problem now is that UK and A/NZ agents also can't book it for past week

I do note that on the A380 EY has a habit of opening space 10-14 days ahead, even in F when it does not sell.
So often short-term awards are open, while medium term is closed and long term is open once in a while
brg is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 2:50 am
  #3134  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 42,987
Originally Posted by brg View Post
e.g., now from SFO-AUH all days there are 2-4 seats in Business
but AA "can't see them" in the US but UK agents can book it,
it is AA blocking premium awards on EY, not EY as is going on.
Not necessarily - it is quite possible to have geographic variations - availability for a class can be different based on point of sale

Just because availability may be visible for sale in one country, it does not mean that it will be visible somewhere else
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 17, 17, 4:59 am
  #3135  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,151
Originally Posted by brg View Post

I do note that on the A380 EY has a habit of opening space 10-14 days ahead, even in F when it does not sell.
So often short-term awards are open, while medium term is closed and long term is open once in a while
Certainly not a rule to go by.

I have closely monitored flights where 6+ seats in F were available weeks out, closed for check in with the same number without opening a single reward availbility.

I have seen flights where only 2 paid seats available open reward availability anywhere between 2 months and 1 day.

This is another layer of controlling award seat availability, ahead of and irrespective of the POS restrictions.
edy4eva is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread