Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Old Sep 26, 17, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt View Post
I know we have all been having lots of "fun" with this, but I would like to bring a new issue to everyone's attention. After having given up hope with booking first/biz from AMD to JFK, I went to book the economy flight that has been previously available and all the CSRs have been mentioning as available. The CSR today was not able to find any availability on economy AMD - JFK in January 2018 even with etihad guest availability. Tried both US and NZ call centers. She was able to book AMD - AUH and AUH - JFK as separate tickets but was not able to book both legs under the same flight. Has anyone had this happen before, and successfully merge the two legs under one reservation? Right now it would cost 40k + 17.5k points when it should just be 40k.................I'm really getting tired of these games. Where does the line cross into false advertising?
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName View Post
I believe this is the standard married segment issue that's been discussed previously in this thread. Sometimes XXX-AUH-JFK returns more availability than XXX-AUH//AUH-JFK and visa versa with no real rhyme or reason.
Isn't this case actually a third region issue? The lists I've seen list only Europe, not the Middle East, as a valid transit between North America and the Indian Subcontinent.
Old Sep 26, 17, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123 View Post
Isn't this case actually a third region issue? The lists I've seen list only Europe, not the Middle East, as a valid transit between North America and the Indian Subcontinent.
India and Middle East are the same region for purposes of r3rd egion
Old Sep 26, 17, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
India and Middle East are the same region for purposes of r3rd egion
Good to know!
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by lopinc1 View Post
Has anyone tried to call a different EY redemption partner to see if they can see the EY Guest inventory? If not then it's not an AA specific issue, if another airline can then it is an AA specific issue.
Yes. I tried Asiana Club and AA on the same day last week. Same result.
Old Sep 27, 17, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by bladel View Post
Yes. I tried Asiana Club and AA on the same day last week. Same result.
So your results was, the other airlines was able to see the guest awards?
Old Sep 27, 17, 4:05 pm

Ok so the nice, wide-open AUH>JFK J availability I see for Jan/Feb on EY site is not bookable when I call AA?
Old Sep 27, 17, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 View Post
Ok so the nice, wide-open AUH>JFK J availability I see for Jan/Feb on EY site is not bookable when I call AA?
Afraid not.
Old Sep 27, 17, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
Afraid not.
Well isn't that just precious!

...how about the semi-nice AUH>IAD J availability? That should be Ok I think, no?
Old Sep 27, 17, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Well isn't that just precious!

...how about the semi-nice AUH>IAD J availability? That should be Ok I think, no?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no again. If you read the small print note near the start of the wiki and/or the recent pages in this thread, you'll see that F and J travel using AA miles for EY flights to and from the USA has disappeared, except it seems for up to three weeks in advance (though availability then can be very limited).

This conceivably could change, though the prospects are not looking great. Keep checking the wiki or the thread for any updates.
Old Sep 27, 17, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no again. If you read the small print note near the start of the wiki and/or the recent pages in this thread, you'll see that F and J travel using AA miles for EY flights to and from the USA has disappeared, except it seems for up to three weeks in advance (though availability then can be very limited).

This conceivably could change, though the prospects are not looking great. Keep checking the wiki or the thread for any updates.
Thanks for breaking it down for me, I appreciate it! I guess I need to start looking elsewhere to get to/from the ME in J or better. QR is out because of the blockade.

So much for hoarding AA miles. Bleh.

Well I do have AS, SPG, UR ... but for whatever reason I've forgotten how to book complicated awards, maybe it's just been too long. And I know I'll hit many dead-ends trying to find premium cabin award availability for 5 seats.

Maybe an award-booking-service consultation is in order. @:-)
Old Sep 27, 17, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for breaking it down for me, I appreciate it! I guess I need to start looking elsewhere to get to/from the ME in J or better. QR is out because of the blockade.

So much for hoarding AA miles. Bleh.

Well I do have AS, SPG, UR ... but for whatever reason I've forgotten how to book complicated awards, maybe it's just been too long. And I know I'll hit many dead-ends trying to find premium cabin award availability for 5 seats.

Maybe an award-booking-service consultation is in order. @:-)
Yeah, a drag for many of us. EY premium travel was probably the most reliable high quality option for using AA award miles, and now it seems to be gone (though again, stay tuned here just in case...). Part of the general deterioration in the Aadvantage program.

FWIW, it seems like redeeming AA miles for non-USA travel on EY is still an option, though I haven't checked into that carefully and of course you'd still need to get to LHR, CDG, wherever.

Going off-topic, but I've found awardnexus.com a good site for quickly finding award availability across many airlines, and it offers some initial free use to FT members. But whether it's worth the time to search and book on your own as opposed to just going with an award booking service is another matter...especially if you're seeking five seats!
Old Sep 28, 17, 4:41 am

Just made a non-US booking, only took 1 round of HUCA. First person I spoke to couldn't see any space, and when I mentioned that I could see availability on specific flights on Etihad.com, he told me the only reliable source of info on what AA could book was aa.com. He doubled down on that when I asked if he was sure Etihad awards are bookable on aa.com.

HUCA, got someone who knew exactly what she was doing. Searched the flights I wanted, and when she couldn't see space on one she proactively found an alternative routing.

Both people were in the UK call center and presumably on the same shift. It's kind of amazing that the quality/skill can vary so much.
Old Sep 28, 17, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by blizz123 View Post
So your results was, the other airlines was able to see the guest awards?
No. Asiana Club could see no business or first award space on AUH to JFK for the dates I gave. Like American, it was able to see economy only.
Old Sep 28, 17, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by bladel View Post
No. Asiana Club could see no business or first award space on AUH to JFK for the dates I gave. Like American, it was able to see economy only.
Was there space available on these dates when searching on etihad.com? Was it visible with a one-way search, or only round-trip?

You are providing only minimal information.
Old Sep 28, 17, 7:58 am

Same situation continues. Seeing Guest business class availability on EY website on EY103 AUH-JFK March 31 but AA unable to see it. Was able to book BLR-AUH without any issue
in business. Economy is available. Called both US and Australian centers, no luck.

Search this Thread