Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT-Pro, Priority Club Plt, Hilton Gold, Hyatt
If "C" class is available a Miles+Copay will be immediately upgraded regardless of whomever else is on a standby list.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Wrong forum! Yikes. Google really is making me stupid.

Last edited by BigE; Feb 14, 2018 at 10:29 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BigE
Has anyone noticed seasonal effects in the ease of clearing flights to/from HKG? Looking at the last few days, it's been very easy to clear from SFO/ORD (numerous empty seats, according to the seat map). It could be a Feb thing (relatively cold in HKG), or I suppose it could also reflect something else (fewer 1k/GS this year, fewer buy-ups, or the appearance of LAX-SIN and disappearance of HKG-SIN on UA).

It's common knowledge that it's easier to clear mid-week than on the weekends, and the HKG flights are easier to clear than the SIN flights. But I don't recall much discussion of seasonal effects.

Can I hope that Apr/May (when I'm traveling) will look like Feb? (and, no, I can't find any R space)
Wrong forum...? Seems like you're talking about upgrading UA flights. This is the AA forum!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought this year would be easier for EXP's to clear with qualification being harder. But it's the worst since my husband became EXP ~10 years ago. 10 flights so far, only 2 upgrades.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I thought this year would be easier for EXP's to clear with qualification being harder. But it's the worst since my husband became EXP ~10 years ago. 10 flights so far, only 2 upgrades.
Whoa. Are these flights Monday AM/Thu-Fri PM?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should add that. But it has become depressing to track! He keeps asking me his odds on flights (he just flies, I do all the management of FF stuff) and I just keep shrugging and saying it is all bad.

They are:

Saturday (cleared)
Friday
Monday
Monday
Tuesday
Tuesday
Monday
Tuesday (cleared)
Tuesday
Tuesday
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I should add that. But it has become depressing to track! He keeps asking me his odds on flights (he just flies, I do all the management of FF stuff) and I just keep shrugging and saying it is all bad.

They are:

Saturday (cleared)
Friday
Monday
Monday
Tuesday
Tuesday
Monday
Tuesday (cleared)
Tuesday
Tuesday
Interesting.

I have cleared all but one (DFW-DEN booked at the last minute.. cabin was J1 or J0 when booked, so didn't expect an UG).

Cleared so far in 2018
AUA-CLT (mileage ticket) - Day after NY
CLT-IAH (mileage ticket) - Day after NY
HOU-DFW - Sunday
COS-DFW - Saturday
DFW-IAH - Saturday
HOU-DFW - Friday
DFW-ORD - Friday
ORD-PEK (SWU) - Friday
PVG-DFW (SWU) - Tuesday
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Are the rolling EQD's on the low side?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
My luck as a PLAT PRO has been pretty good this year. I'm currently 11/14 (79%) traveling mostly M-TH. travel. The three segments I've missed are:

ATL-CLT (Th night)
DFW-BNA (Mon Afternoon)
DFW-LIT (Tuesday Late Afternoon)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Question SWU request missing from AA systems

As EXP with 4 shinny SWU, I had called the AA Advantage desk last month to request a SWU applied on a trip JFK-LHR-JFK from Y to J (as usual, they asked for Credit Card details for the 'luxury taxes' out of LHR).
I kept checking for "C" inventory on ExpertFlyer and saved alerts. Nada until getting to the airport.

Then I noticed the upgrade list on the AA mobile app. My name was not even on the upgrade list!

I called the AA Advantage desk and asked if they had my request for SWU. They did not have any record of such request.
Eventually, only 1 customer cleared the upgrade JFK-LHR so my chances were probably small.
However, it is a bit frustrating that my SWU request was not even processed.

Has anyone had such issue?
What is the trick to insure the SWU is requested for international segments?
Check the AA web-site for the "Upgrade Your Trip" section as per screenshot above?

[Note that I requested -again- the upgrade for the return after finding out the problem]
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
I had that happen once last year DFW to PVG. I called in the morning when I saw that I was not on the upgrade list. They were able to add me then and I never did find out what happened. I was the last one to clear at the gate. I would have been furious otherwise.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Originally Posted by zip10001
As EXP with 4 shinny SWU, I had called the AA Advantage desk last month to request a SWU applied on a trip JFK-LHR-JFK from Y to J (as usual, they asked for Credit Card details for the 'luxury taxes' out of LHR).
luxury taxes??? I had a cleared SWU on a LHR-DFW flight in Dec/2017 and didn't pay an extra penny. and they didn't ask me for my credit card.

about the subject: i learned the lesson last year not to fly on mondays and thursdays domestically because these are the travel days for consultants why fill up (paid) 1st class. this year i had one round-trip: BOS-PHX-TUS-PHX-BOS. cleared 4/4; all flights were full. the outbound BOS-PHX was the last moment upgrade when group 1 had already boarded but on the way back it cleared a couple of days in advance (the flight was also 100% full)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chil
luxury taxes??? I had a cleared SWU on a LHR-DFW flight in Dec/2017 and didn't pay an extra penny. and they didn't ask me for my credit card.
I'm guessing you were connecting in LHR from some other destination, i.e. XXX-LHR-DFW?

The UK charges a higher APD (tax) for business/first class, often called the luxury tax, so for any SWU requests on ex-LHR itineraries AA will take your credit card info and charge the higher taxes if the upgrade clears.

This tax isn't due if you're just connecting through LHR.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zip10001
I kept checking for "C" inventory on ExpertFlyer and saved alerts. Nada until getting to the airport.

Then I noticed the upgrade list on the AA mobile app. My name was not even on the upgrade list!

I called the AA Advantage desk and asked if they had my request for SWU. They did not have any record of such request.
Eventually, only 1 customer cleared the upgrade JFK-LHR so my chances were probably small.
However, it is a bit frustrating that my SWU request was not even processed.

Has anyone had such issue?
What is the trick to insure the SWU is requested for international segments?
Check the AA web-site for the "Upgrade Your Trip" section as per screenshot above?

[Note that I requested -again- the upgrade for the return after finding out the problem]
So I can assume you did not check your reservations after making the request to ensure that the request happened? That is how you make sure you are on the list, not very hard.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So I can assume you did not check your reservations after making the request to ensure that the request happened? That is how you make sure you are on the list, not very hard.
Half the time my SWU request says REQUESTED, half the time it says N/A. Sometimes when it clears it still says Flight not eligible. Contact AA. Sometimes it says CONFIRMED

The IT system is so jacked. It could easily show REQUESTED and not have you on the list. This has happened to me several times with stickers in the past.

How else do you confirm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.