Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 13, 18, 11:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

      • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"


See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 31, 18, 11:06 am
  #76  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,966
Originally Posted by transparent View Post
The last two trips I tried to use SWUs on, the outbound (LGA(Y)-DFW-PEK, JFK-LAX-HKG) was available for SWU at booking, but not return, which was true throughout Dec 2017/Jan 2018. (Is this a general pattern? If so, why?)

While my return PEK-ORD cleared a day or two before departure, my HKG-LAX was a nail-biter, and did not clear until 1 hour prior to departure. I was already mentally prepared to take my Y seat. Monitoring availability on EF in the week leading up to HKG-LAX, J buckets fluctuated up and down, mostly down. Seat map showed 6 seats, then 8 seats, then back down to 6 seats unassigned. MCE did not show many seats become available (indicating possible upgraders, 2-3 aisle/window seats became available in the week prior). C never became available while monitoring or via aler. F also fluctuated between 1-3 available for upgrade or miles. Day of departure, it was J2 R1 D0 I0, or something similar.
It appears there is higher demand for the HKG-LAX, HKG-DFW then say PEK- to the states. I have a friend who is based in HKG and she clears with an SWU about 50% of the time.
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 11:28 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
Wife and I have upcoming flight to South America in a week. We are both Ex Plat with fairly similar EQDs. We applied SWUs to the trip and are confirmed on the outbound portion. The return is starting to look dicey at J3. If 1 seat opens early, do they hold it or offer it to one of a couple traveling together or skip down the list to a single traveler. Is there any advantage to splitting our PNRs so she can get the upgrade if only 1 comes available?
jrb CO is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 12:45 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,361
Originally Posted by jrb CO View Post
Wife and I have upcoming flight to South America in a week. We are both Ex Plat with fairly similar EQDs. We applied SWUs to the trip and are confirmed on the outbound portion. The return is starting to look dicey at J3. If 1 seat opens early, do they hold it or offer it to one of a couple traveling together or skip down the list to a single traveler. Is there any advantage to splitting our PNRs so she can get the upgrade if only 1 comes available?
There is no disadvantage to splitting the PNR, AFAIK, so I would do that.
Antarius is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:48 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SJC (AA PLT 2MM - Marriott LTT - Avis Preferred)
Posts: 1,737
For our New Year's trip (Bay Area - ZRH/MXP, 3 seats, miles+copay) all but the SFO-JFK leg cleared Y to J. MXP-JFK cleared about 1 week before our trip, JFK-ZRH ~T24, and ORD-SJC at the gate.
ntamayo is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 2:16 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: United Premier Platinum
Posts: 558
Does anyone know at what point all remaining J seats are released to the upgrade list DOD for international flights?
In other words, when AA stops trying to sell seats and just uses them for upgrades.

Is there a set time?
mcrw00 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 8:14 am
  #81  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,966
Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post
Does anyone know at what point all remaining J seats are released to the upgrade list DOD for international flights?
In other words, when AA stops trying to sell seats and just uses them for upgrades.

Is there a set time?
One could speculate in saying that at 1 hour before flight time would be the cut-off since AA wants you at the airport 90 minutes before departure. I'm sure AA (as well as other airlines) have algorithms in determining this sort of thing.
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 9:10 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
Do the available J seats accurately reflect all of the "empty" business seats, assuming the number is less than 7? I have been watching 1 route for a bit and there are always additional unoccupied business seats above the available J number. I assume the difference are confirmed passengers who simply have not yet selected a seat. Hoping for an upgrade but the available J seat number is dwindling. Yet there are several additional seats available on the seat map. Just wondering If AA ever holds back J seats shown as available?
jrb CO is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 10:29 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: HNL
Posts: 995
I know many Chinese will travel during Chinese near year.
What about AA192 HKG-LAX on 2/14?
I'm SWU waitlisted for m/c -> b/c
EF still shows J7 and there are many b/c seats are still unassigned.
Does anybody know how soon AA clears upgrades on this route? just like many routes do I need to wait at the gate probably?
MrJBoy is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 11:17 am
  #84  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
Posts: 2,445
Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
I know many Chinese will travel during Chinese near year.
What about AA192 HKG-LAX on 2/14?
CNY is on the 16th this year (that means most people try to get home by the 15th for the NYE Reunion Dinner). CNY traffic shouldn't affect your flight that much since it departs on the 14th and arrives on the 16th. I can't predict for normal business traffic, but I doubt there are a lot of business traffic going to Asia at that time of the year. Plus LAX-HKG is quite an easy upgrade
nov11 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 11:27 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,361
Originally Posted by jrb CO View Post
Do the available J seats accurately reflect all of the "empty" business seats, assuming the number is less than 7? I have been watching 1 route for a bit and there are always additional unoccupied business seats above the available J number. I assume the difference are confirmed passengers who simply have not yet selected a seat. Hoping for an upgrade but the available J seat number is dwindling. Yet there are several additional seats available on the seat map. Just wondering If AA ever holds back J seats shown as available?
In the event of a Y oversell, they can. But usually it is people who have not reserved seats, flexible J travelers etc. I wouldn't go in expecting anything more than the number of J seats listed to be available.
Antarius is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 11:34 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: HNL
Posts: 995
Originally Posted by nov11 View Post
CNY is on the 16th this year (that means most people try to get home by the 15th for the NYE Reunion Dinner). CNY traffic shouldn't affect your flight that much since it departs on the 14th and arrives on the 16th. I can't predict for normal business traffic, but I doubt there are a lot of business traffic going to Asia at that time of the year. Plus LAX-HKG is quite an easy upgrade
Thank you for the info about CNY, but my flight is HKG-LAX not LAX-HKG... I will depart on the 14th and arrive at LAX on the same day 14th, but I'm heading to the other direction and it seems business traffic won't be affected? Unfortunately I won't take AA193 LAX-HKG...
MrJBoy is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 12:46 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,361
Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
Thank you for the info about CNY, but my flight is HKG-LAX not LAX-HKG... I will depart on the 14th and arrive at LAX on the same day 14th, but I'm heading to the other direction and it seems business traffic won't be affected? Unfortunately I won't take AA193 LAX-HKG...
Both ways, LAX-HKG and HKG-LAX aren't terribly hard for upgrades from what I have seen or heard.
MrJBoy likes this.
Antarius is offline  
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:23 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
Posts: 2,445
Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
Thank you for the info about CNY, but my flight is HKG-LAX not LAX-HKG... I will depart on the 14th and arrive at LAX on the same day 14th, but I'm heading to the other direction and it seems business traffic won't be affected? Unfortunately I won't take AA193 LAX-HKG...
Oppps. I misread. My apologies
nov11 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 18, 7:22 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Posts: 29
Wife and I are booked on AA105, LHR-JFK on 2/25 (Sunday), and no SWU has cleared in 2 months since booking. EF has J7. Are these tough upgrades on Sundays?

Our outbound on 2/17 AA66 JFK-BCN cleared at booking FWIW. And the best part was that they deducted my SWUs from my 2017 bucket, even though our trip was for after 1/31/18.
loosecanyn is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:07 pm
  #90  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Posts: 12,095
Does anyone have thoughts on the best chance of clearing an SWU on a flight to PEK? AA has flights from DFW, ORD, and LAX.
And secondly, would there be a better chance of clearing on a Thursday or Friday?
Travel will be in early/mid March.

I found a couple of return flights with upgrade availability now.
aztimm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: