Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by car_wash_guy
Quick question:

I recently became Platinum Pro, and booked a flight to MCO with my 2 kids. Being only 2 weeks out there weren't many options for seats together so I choose some economy and some MCE seats, but luckily all together.

I'm not seeing an option to request an upgrade? Neither when I booked or now. Is it just because it's automatically requested or something else? Thanks
Go to your booking page at AA.com and scroll all the way down to the bottom to the "Upgrades" section. What does it show there? If it shows "Requested", you should be fine. If it shows something else and/or doesn't give you the option to request it on that page, call AA to request it.

Originally Posted by snardy
I am flying today on AA 163, DCA-LAX. I see two empty seat available in J, but they still have not processed my 500 mile upgrade request. The flight begins boarding in 6 hours.

What are my odds? I'm flying on a paid Y fare, PLAT status, $9600+ spend YTD.

Is there anything I can do to get them to clear my upgrade? Does PLAT customer service have the ability to process it?
There is nothing you can do to get them to clear the upgrade. Calling will not help.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by car_wash_guy
Quick question:

I recently became Platinum Pro, and booked a flight to MCO with my 2 kids. Being only 2 weeks out there weren't many options for seats together so I choose some economy and some MCE seats, but luckily all together.

I'm not seeing an option to request an upgrade? Neither when I booked or now. Is it just because it's automatically requested or something else? Thanks
You can't request an upgrade for more than one other person on your reservation using 500-mile upgrade coupons. I ran into this issue last month when I traveled with my wife and mother-in-law on paid tickets (neither of whom have status with AA). AA customer service told me that if we wanted to upgrade, she would have to split my wife or MIL into a separate reservation. However, that 3rd person would not be able to take advantage of my ability as a Platinum to select an Economy Plus seat for free (we already had an entire exit row to ourselves).

So that's why you will not see an option to request a 500-mile upgrade for your ticket. Blame your kids!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Just cleared 48 hours out on AA 1295 PHX-DFW.

PLT w/ only a tad over 4000 EQD right now (got status via challenge).

Very surprised on a hub to hub route to clear at all, especially this far out.
tenpins77 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by snardy
You can't request an upgrade for more than one other person on your reservation using 500-mile upgrade coupons. I ran into this issue last month when I traveled with my wife and mother-in-law on paid tickets (neither of whom have status with AA). AA customer service told me that if we wanted to upgrade, she would have to split my wife or MIL into a separate reservation. However, that 3rd person would not be able to take advantage of my ability as a Platinum to select an Economy Plus seat for free (we already had an entire exit row to ourselves).

So that's why you will not see an option to request a 500-mile upgrade for your ticket. Blame your kids!
For what it's worth, I've traveled with more than one companion before (my parents), and split the PNRs into my mother and me in one, and my father in the other, and given my father my F boarding pass to sit with my mom. As long as you select the MCE seats before you split the PNR, they shouldn't lose the seat.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Holy crap, my LAX-AKL rt just cleared both ways! Forward is 11/1, return 11/12. Got an EF notification that C opened up, looked at aa.com and I was already in J for both flights. Exactly a month out...given prior experience and what I've read here that just seems crazy.

I picked 3L (right side window) for the LAX-AKL leg and 5A (left side window) for the return. On the 789 for both. Won't matter, cause it's an ocean down there and I'm gonna be lying down asleep!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Upgrade requests not transfering to gate list

I always request upgrades when booking a flight. This year none of my requests, or my wife's requests (also lifetime Plat) when traveling with me, have transferred automatically to the list at the gate. Several times I have requested the gate agent or agent in the Admirals club to add me to the list, but this is possibly after any upgrades have been handed out. Rerequesting on the AA app does't help. We have gobs and gobs of 500 mile stickers in each account. Anyone else having this problem?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Chances of clearing SWU?

Anyone familiar enough with the route (or not) to offer a prediction on my chances? EXP with LTM EQD of...<$500 (yeah I'm leaving AAdv and I have a few SWUs left to burn...)

10/19 (Friday) AA 98 ORD-LHR 10:25p
J7 R7 D7 I5 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7
Seat map: 12 taken in J, 28 in MCE

10/22 (Monday) AA 91 LHR-ORD 5:15p
J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7S7 N7 Q7 O0 E7
Seat map: 10 taken in J, 30 in MCE

10/23 (Tuesday) AA 99 LHR-ORD 7:45a
J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7
Seat map: 16 taken in J, 11 in MCE

10/23 (Tuesday) AA 47 LHR-ORD 8:40a
J7 R7 D6 I4 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7
Seat map: 18 taken in J, 22 in MCE

10/23 (Tuesday) AA 87 LHR-ORD 12:15p
J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7S7 N0 Q0 O0 E6
Seat map: 12 taken in J, 26 in MCE

10/23 (Tuesday) AA 91 LHR-ORD 5:15p
J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7
Seat map: 16 taken in J, 19 in MCE

Thanks a gazilion
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by olddallas
I always request upgrades when booking a flight. This year none of my requests, or my wife's requests (also lifetime Plat) when traveling with me, have transferred automatically to the list at the gate. Several times I have requested the gate agent or agent in the Admirals club to add me to the list, but this is possibly after any upgrades have been handed out. Rerequesting on the AA app does't help. We have gobs and gobs of 500 mile stickers in each account. Anyone else having this problem?
There are so many variables here that you have left out for ANYONE to be able to answer your question.... Route? EQM for the year? Day of the week you are traveling??
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:14 am

Just a POP with American ( Pee on Platinum) and since hitting platinum (again) I have been 0-24 on upgrades. Last night my RDU - CLT segment Cleared at a few minutes past the 48 hour Mark (A320) 3-Row J !!! I about called them to make sure there hadn't been a glitch..

Thanks for the upgrade on the 18 minute flight ! Someday i will put one of my 54 upgrade stickers to use.....
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by tenpins77
Just a POP with American ( Pee on Platinum) and since hitting platinum (again) I have been 0-24 on upgrades. Last night my RDU - CLT segment Cleared at a few minutes past the 48 hour Mark (A320) 3-Row J !!! I about called them to make sure there hadn't been a glitch..

Thanks for the upgrade on the 18 minute flight ! Someday i will put one of my 54 upgrade stickers to use.....

I've cleared as a gold on multiple flights. Either change you routing, fly more to get higher status, or go fly somewhere else. Why is it Americans fault that other customers have spent more money and flown more than you. I don't get mad when a PP get's an upgrade over me.
tenpins77 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by bse118
This week's flights:

DEN-CLT - complimentary - A321, Monday midday, cleared at ~30 hours
CLT-LHR - Y--->J SWU, - A333, Monday early evening (AA730), cleared off the waitlist at ~4 hours before the flight

(Normally wouldn't bother ugrading such a short TATL, but I've got a long day of further travel on the other side of it)

For the record - still 100% on SWU's (and other intl upgrade instruments) during my years as EXP. Over just the last five weeks - I've cleared LAX-HND, NRT-DFW, and CLT-LHR off the waitlist.
DEN can be rough in and out of DFW. I go between DCA and DEN about twice a month.

Before the US merger AA had (as I recall)either 738s or MD80s on the DFW-DEN and reverse leg. I had about 85-90% upgrade success. I have batted about 50% the last 6-8 months.

With the 320s and 12-vs 16 J seats -maybe thats the reason. Last week I barely made it to J on DCA-DFW (early Thursday AM). From DFW around 1300 I was 8 of 21 [as before most of this year I think I am middle-tier (10k) rolling EQD] and was fine in exit.

Some have said its light AA frequency of legs in and out of DEN.

But whenever I route thru ORD - upgrade success is probably 90% to and from DCA and DEN.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AATrout
I am middle-tier (10k) rolling EQD
that's low tier, very low tier. I"m ytd 18K and that's still low. Didn't even come close to an upgrade today dfw-ewr (#8 on the list). I'm not complaining I'm totally fine in 15A but this is a 16 F seat 738 and am just still amazed how eqd ranking has relegated me to the back of bus more than ever before.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
25k EQD. LAX-DFW A321 this Sunday came in at the 100hr mark. DFW-IND B738 showing 12/16 available - nothing yet. It always comes in at the 23h mark for some reason.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Planning to use SWU next year in May (LAX-HKG) and Aug (SYD-LAX). 2 pax on each flight. Will both be EXP but low on the EQDs for sure. I missed the brief window where there was C space available but clearly no seats were booked yet. As a general understanding are these flights easy to clear in my situation? I am intentionally aiming for midweek flights to avoid as much business travel as possible. Unsure if that matters.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Unhappy

Originally Posted by tenpins77

Don't feel bad. I have 96 stickers.
tenpins77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.