Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)
How do you plan to use your wife's miles? AA charges a fee to transfer miles from one account to another, and 17K is not enough for even a one-way between the U.S. and Asia.
We're going to transfer her 17k into my account. It'll cost about $200, but her miles aren't being used anyway.

So I'm thinking (if the tickets don't sell out), I'll transfer her 17k to my 43k, which will give us 60k and I'll convert hotel points into 10k.
So with my 70k I'll have enough to book her the flights.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Apologies if I missed the answers in my reading of the various Help - AA Award threads.

I'm looking to book just a one-way from SIN-HKG. I have enough miles for J or F. It would be on CX and I understand from the instructions that if awards are for a OW partner, I have to call it in.

If I've missed something or if you can offer a suggestion when dealing with the AAgent, much appreciated. TIA.
First, search for CX award availability on BA.com and identify the dates/flight#s. Next call AA and feed the agent the info. Phone ticketing fee is waived for partner award booking that cannot be completed online.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by werDrD
I've been keeping an eye on MileSAAver awards for US to NRT and vice versa in July/August for a few weeks and there's been tons of availability.

Just checked this morning and it's all gone before September. What happened? There were months of wide open availability.
Just released two AA F LAX-NRT tickets for July 9th for F CX tickets. It looks like they did not go back into inventory.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I'm looking to book an award ex-EU to South Africa. Am I correct in reading the chart that it is 37,500 miles each way in C? Also, is travel to Africa allowed via the Middle East; i.e. can I book via EY or QR?

Thanks
FDW
1. Yes (although AA's redemption chart is changing later this month).

2. No: no third-zone connection is allowed on a Europe-Africa award.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe you can do QR to QR and connect at DOH - that is the only exception.

You have to fly into DOH on QR, and then leaving DOH on QR on the long haul, i.e. DOH-JNB, DOH-CPT etc. You cannot mix it with EY. Only QR to QR.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sard
After reading your recommendations and doing some searches, I'm thinking these are good:
JL - JFK-NRT-PVG for 35k
JL - PVG-NRT-PVG for 35k

issue is, I have 43k miles and my wife has 17k miles.
I can get 3k more miles from e-rewards, but that still leaves me 7k short.
I can buy 7k miles for $200 from aa.com

Any other options? (let me search for a "keeping miles" thread)

Thanks!

edit - just saw a thread about converting hotel points into miles.
I have a ton of hilton and marriott points, so that is a good option, just not sure how long it takes to convert
For the costs you would involve - transfer your wife's miles and buying 7K miles from AA - have you checked the cost of buying a coach ticket?

For tickets going to mainland China, it is not uncommon to see $700ish r/t ticket from several carriers plying the routes.

Your hotel points transfer to miles in a decidedly INFERIOR ratio than they are used to book hotel rooms, unless those are SPG pts.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy

I believe you can do QR to QR and connect at DOH - that is the only exception.

You have to fly into DOH on QR, and then leaving DOH on QR on the long haul, i.e. DOH-JNB, DOH-CPT etc. You cannot mix it with EY. Only QR to QR.
I do not think that a QR-QR connection in DOH is permitted on a Europe to Africa award; I know that such a connection is permitted on a North America to Africa award.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong, though.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by arfaczar
First, search for CX award availability on BA.com and identify the dates/flight#s. Next call AA and feed the agent the info. Phone ticketing fee is waived for partner award booking that cannot be completed online.
Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
For the costs you would involve - transfer your wife's miles and buying 7K miles from AA - have you checked the cost of buying a coach ticket?

For tickets going to mainland China, it is not uncommon to see $700ish r/t ticket from several carriers plying the routes.

Your hotel points transfer to miles in a decidedly INFERIOR ratio than they are used to book hotel rooms, unless those are SPG pts.
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

You are correct, transferring points and buying miles or converting miles isn't the best option.
But I looked at prices on AA and Delta and also Expedia and they were all over $1,000 (I prefer a direct flight or at most, 1 transfer for her)

My thoughts are, I have no plans to fly AA in the near future, and my wife has even less plans on flying on AA in the future, so why not use the points.
Although it will involve apprx. $170 to transfer the miles.

As for the hotel points...I have over 700k points with Hilton and Marriott, I might as well use it.
Hilton - 50k points for 7,500 miles
Marriott - 30k points for 10,000 miles
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Hi guys i booked a CCS-MIA-YYZ Business saver award but i think the aircraft and route are pretty bland. I'd like to position in YYZ from CCS, but i dont know if there is another way i can fly a better business equipment than a 737 Old config. I know i can't change the plane Caracas-Miami because 737 are all there is (July 2016 and after), but i dont know if someone had any idea to make my business experience more enjoyable under the same 30K U award.

Ideally i really like the more direct route, but i dont know if there is something interesting i can do regarding business aircraft for that route. Like i dont know if somehow i can plug a 32B,or something better.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:09 pm

What i want is to change the award from CCS-MIA (overnight)-YYZ to CCS-MIA (overnight)-X-YYZ so from MIA to X and X to YYZ i can have a better J experience than MIA-YYZ 737 arriving the same day at Toronto. If that would be possible, it would be interesting to evaluate. I think i rather take an extra connection for a better aircraft than to have such a nothing to write home about business experience. Not that i expect something wonderful, but like come on i think 2 B737 are very dull or perhaps one of the worst J product i can do on the network? . If anybody has any suggestions or experience would be the most welcomed.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mvtm
What i want is to change the award from CCS-MIA (overnight)-YYZ to CCS-MIA (overnight)-X-YYZ so from MIA to X and X to YYZ i can have a better J experience than MIA-YYZ 737 arriving the same day at Toronto. If that would be possible, it would be interesting to evaluate. I think i rather take an extra connection for a better aircraft than to have such a nothing to write home about business experience. Not that i expect something wonderful, but like come on i think 2 B737 are very dull or perhaps one of the worst J product i can do on the network? . If anybody has any suggestions or experience would be the most welcomed.
You can usually find one or two 777's, 763's, and 75L's on MIA-DFW/ORD/JFK, so you could possibly add a connection there in between MIA & YYZ.

Of course the service and food would generally be the same as your current 737 flight. And in the case of ORD or JFK, you'd be adding a flight on an Eagle RJ that may or may not have F, significantly less comfortable than your current 737.

And that's putting aside the sheer silliness of adding an extra connection and hours of travel time, on an award flight, to avoid a nonstop 2.5 hr flight in 737 domestic F.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can usually find one or two 777's, 763's, and 75L's on MIA-DFW/ORD/JFK, so you could possibly add a connection there in between MIA & YYZ.

Of course the service and food would generally be the same as your current 737 flight. And in the case of ORD or JFK, you'd be adding a flight on an Eagle RJ that may or may not have F, significantly less comfortable than your current 737.

And that's putting aside the sheer silliness of adding an extra connection and hours of travel time, on an award flight, to avoid a nonstop 2.5 hr flight in 737 domestic F.
I found this (with J SAAver availability) i need someone to tell me if it's legal or not for 30k:

11 JUL AA914 CCS-MIA (738 V1) 3:20PM-7:21PM
12 JUL AA1428 MIA-LAX (77W) 5:13PM-7:30PM
12 JUL AA1460 LAX-ORD (32B) 11:56PM-5:59AM
13 JUL AA3686 ORD-YYZ (CR7) 8:45AM-11:21AM

Currently i have this:

11 JUL AA914 CCS-MIA
12 JUL AA2718 MIA-YYZ (738) 12:36PM-3:53PM

I also saw a 788 somewhere between LAX-ORD but not for SAAver award. I also need to know your opinions, would you do that? I have never done an AA J award, always flying in coach, and i never even seen the A321T or the 777-300. Last time i got into a 777 was in 2001, so i might be tempted to think about doing a crazy schedule to hop in the planes i wanted to try. If anyone can help do something similar, or shorter... or tell me this can be issued for the 30K would be welcomed.

I dont know please weight your thoughts.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: EI Silver, AF Ivory, SPG Gold, HH, IHG Priority Club, Choice Privileges
Milesaver First class Florida - ANC

Hi All;

First time for me to post in this forum but with the changes coming I am trying to get best value out of my 71,000 miles

Unfortunately I am not living in the US, so the opportunities to earn AA miles are slim. I currently have 71,000 and am looking at burning them with a booking before 22nd March. I will need the miles to get back from ANC to either LAX or MIA/MCO

I can travel from Florida anytime from mid May till end mid July. Ideally I would like to stay in ANC a week

I was looking at a First or business class milesaver ( 25,000 each way ?) from Florida to ANC. Either MCO or MIA is fine with me. I am aware that a lot of flights to ANC connect via SEA. I was hoping to get a 4 or 5 day layover in SEA but on calling AA today, they tell me that anything over 4 hours ( yes Four) is considered a stopover and the next segment would be billed as a new leg ( and another 25,000 miles)

To get to ANC from Florida, I was told would mean a routing via LAX and then direct to ANC with Alaskan.

My questions are ...

Has Alaskan a first class product ( I thought they only had Business class)

Would anyone know if there i any way of getting a 4 or 5 day stopover in SEA on the way to ANC without it costing more miles?

The agent told me that there was very little if any milesaver First class available from mid May till Mid July but if I wait some will be released ... is this true, would anyone take a chance and wait.?

I am trying to tie this trip in with my TransAtlantic flights, so need to book the AA flights first before the TA flights

Thanks in advance

Michael
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flame
Hi All;

First time for me to post in this forum but with the changes coming I am trying to get best value out of my 71,000 miles

Unfortunately I am not living in the US, so the opportunities to earn AA miles are slim. I currently have 71,000 and am looking at burning them with a booking before 22nd March. I will need the miles to get back from ANC to either LAX or MIA/MCO

I can travel from Florida anytime from mid May till end mid July. Ideally I would like to stay in ANC a week

I was looking at a First or business class milesaver ( 25,000 each way ?) from Florida to ANC. Either MCO or MIA is fine with me. I am aware that a lot of flights to ANC connect via SEA. I was hoping to get a 4 or 5 day layover in SEA but on calling AA today, they tell me that anything over 4 hours ( yes Four) is considered a stopover and the next segment would be billed as a new leg ( and another 25,000 miles)

To get to ANC from Florida, I was told would mean a routing via LAX and then direct to ANC with Alaskan.

My questions are ...

Has Alaskan a first class product ( I thought they only had Business class)

Would anyone know if there i any way of getting a 4 or 5 day stopover in SEA on the way to ANC without it costing more miles?

The agent told me that there was very little if any milesaver First class available from mid May till Mid July but if I wait some will be released ... is this true, would anyone take a chance and wait.?

I am trying to tie this trip in with my TransAtlantic flights, so need to book the AA flights first before the TA flights

Thanks in advance

Michael
AAdvantage awards do not permit any free stopovers.

AS only offers First Class and Coach, no Business Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.