FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:12 pm
sard

Originally Posted by Happy
For the costs you would involve - transfer your wife's miles and buying 7K miles from AA - have you checked the cost of buying a coach ticket?

For tickets going to mainland China, it is not uncommon to see $700ish r/t ticket from several carriers plying the routes.

Your hotel points transfer to miles in a decidedly INFERIOR ratio than they are used to book hotel rooms, unless those are SPG pts.
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

You are correct, transferring points and buying miles or converting miles isn't the best option.
But I looked at prices on AA and Delta and also Expedia and they were all over $1,000 (I prefer a direct flight or at most, 1 transfer for her)

My thoughts are, I have no plans to fly AA in the near future, and my wife has even less plans on flying on AA in the future, so why not use the points.
Although it will involve apprx. $170 to transfer the miles.

As for the hotel points...I have over 700k points with Hilton and Marriott, I might as well use it.
Hilton - 50k points for 7,500 miles
Marriott - 30k points for 10,000 miles