Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by handspring088
Thanks, but I thought that EWR and JFK were considered co-terminals and changes between them was permitted. I will double check on that.
Change between JFK and EWR as destination requires award redeposit
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I know this has been answered before, but the search terms return hundreds of results so I figure this thread is the right place to re-ask:

I have a First/Business Saver award on hold. It has 6 segments, 5 of which are in fare buckets of Z or U with seat assignments in the J/F cabin. One segment is in fare bucket T with no seat assignment.

I'm going to guess this is because there were no F award seats available on that segment. It is a domestic U.S. segment with an F cabin (CLT-MCI). If I do nothing, I'm guessing this ends up seated in coach. My questions are:

(1) If I eventually notice on my own that an F Saver award on that segment opens up, can I call to confirm it free of charge? Or better yet do this online?

(2) If it never opens up with another Saver award, can I add myself to a standby list at the airport? Would a counter/lounge/gate agent see me as having already "paid" for the seat, and therefore higher in priority than a typical 500-mile-segment upgrader?

One Y segment isn't enough to make me *not* book it...especially as it's a Saturday night flight in January that is probably going to have a bunch of empty middle seats anyway. Just wondering what the options/process are to maybe eventually end up in F when it's all said and done...
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:47 am

There's no guarantee award space will open up. You need to call in to make the change, at no charge, if it does open up. You can't do it online.

You can also see if other flights are available with F. Then potentially if there is a schedule change, switch to the time you want.

There is no standby for award flight upgrades. And you can't mix an AAnytime award with a SAAver if you were thinking about mileage creativity.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmchris
There's no guarantee award space will open up. You need to call in to make the change, at no charge, if it does open up. You can't do it online.
That's what I thought. It'll be interesting to see whether more F awards open up. On a different PNR, I already have 3 F award seats on this flight.

You can also see if other flights are available with F. Then potentially if there is a schedule change, switch to the time you want.
We'll probably stick together on this flight...the one seat in question is me, and I ride it in coach that's fine.

There is no standby for award flight upgrades. And you can't mix an AAnytime award with a SAAver if you were thinking about mileage creativity.
Is that what "T" is in this case? Effectively a coach AAnytime award segment? I wasn't really thinking about getting too creative...just wondering if I happened to be in a lounge or at the gate and an agent saw my record, would they view me more as a ticketed F pax or a ticketed Y pax...

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If you absolutely want to end up in EWR, then book the LHR-EWR on a day where FCO-LHR is also available. Date changes are free, but if you book to JFK, you will not be able to change to EWR later without paying a change fee. Note that LHR-EWR will be on BA, with its carrier-imposed charges.

If your goal is really to end up in NYC earlier rather than later in the day, then book the FCO-LHR-JFK. There are numerous flights to JFK, and you will have a good chance of something opening up as time goes on. Moreover, flying into JFK you can avoid BA and its fees.

I would also look into IB (FCO-MAD-JFK) or potentially AY (FCO-HEL-JFK). If EWR is your desired destination, FCO-PHL/CLT-EWR all on AA metal is also an option.
i would think about some reasonable options, especially in light of the BA surcharges. But, there are only Finnair combinations, like FCO-HEL-JFK, with a stayover. I will keep looking.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by handspring088
i would think about some reasonable options, especially in light of the BA surcharges. But, there are only Finnair combinations, like FCO-HEL-JFK, with a stayover. I will keep looking.
IB flights do not show up on AA.com. You can use BA's search tool to search IB space.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Before I need to call and get charged ( if any) I need to know if there's a problem with my paying for the taxes on 2 award flights that are using miles on my brother's account.
He is not flying with us and I wanted to pay for the taxes using my credit card and the message in red keeps saying the name of account holder needs to be the same even though I have changed the billing information.
When I used my son's account for award flights for us I didn't come across this problem.

thanks for any input.. I have the flights on hold.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA's rule is that taxes & fees are paid by a card in the name of the AAdvantage account holder.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA's rule is that taxes & fees are paid by a card in the name of the AAdvantage account holder.
Rules must have changed recently since I used my son's miles and used my card without any issues in January.
Called and was told the same information.

Last edited by duranza; Apr 9, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by duranza
Rules must have changed recently since I used my son's miles and used my card without any issues in January.
Called and was told the same information.
It might be because your son was less than 18years old?

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This. I have booked many awards using my Dad and Mom's miles and i have had to personally shown up with them at the AA ticket sales center, for them to pay the taxes & fees with their CC.

I probably have booked around 10 awards with their miles, and each time... (even if i was doing a surprise for Mom & Dad), i had to reveal my plans and bring the account holder with me to pay the taxes & fees.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:24 pm

Equipment change DFW>SCL

Hi,

We booked 110K awards on flt945 in November to fly the 788 business product. I just noticed they downgraded the equipment to the 772 and placed us in business class.

We would have booked F awards for 50K less for the two of us through MIA.

My plan is to call and have us either placed in F on the same flight and refunded the 50K miles or on the MIA flt 957 which also still shows good availability.

We've just never made an adjustment like this and are hoping to hear from some of you as to this strategy or if we should be trying an alternative approach.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by mvtm
It might be because your son was less than 18years old?

This. I have booked many awards using my Dad and Mom's miles and i have had to personally shown up with them at the AA ticket sales center, for them to pay the taxes & fees with their CC.

I probably have booked around 10 awards with their miles, and each time... (even if i was doing a surprise for Mom & Dad), i had to reveal my plans and bring the account holder with me to pay the taxes & fees.
LOL no he just turned 34.. the rules changed.. I just used his miles in January and did not have to use his CC for paying the taxes.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by duranza
LOL no he just turned 34.. the rules changed.. I just used his miles in January and did not have to use his CC for paying the taxes.
Well that's very strange i was required in March to pay the taxes & fees with my Dad's CC.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:46 am

Award on MH

Does Aa have same award availability of awards for MH flights as their BA counterparts?

I was able to find award via BA search engine but Aa reps can't find availability.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
MH awards book into P, U & X.

AA book into Z, U & T.

What class are you looking to book?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.