Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mvtm
I found this (with J SAAver availability) i need someone to tell me if it's legal or not for 30k:

11 JUL AA914 CCS-MIA (738 V1) 3:20PM-7:21PM
12 JUL AA1428 MIA-LAX (77W) 5:13PM-7:30PM
12 JUL AA1460 LAX-ORD (32B) 11:56PM-5:59AM
13 JUL AA3686 ORD-YYZ (CR7) 8:45AM-11:21AM

Currently i have this:

11 JUL AA914 CCS-MIA
12 JUL AA2718 MIA-YYZ (738) 12:36PM-3:53PM

I also saw a 788 somewhere between LAX-ORD but not for SAAver award. I also need to know your opinions, would you do that? I have never done an AA J award, always flying in coach, and i never even seen the A321T or the 777-300. Last time i got into a 777 was in 2001, so i might be tempted to think about doing a crazy schedule to hop in the planes i wanted to try. If anyone can help do something similar, or shorter... or tell me this can be issued for the 30K would be welcomed.

I dont know please weight your thoughts.
Awards with just AA metal will generally allow some pretty crazy routings, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was allowed. Your best bet is to put those flights on hold using the multi-city booking at aa.com, then call AA to see if they can re-price it as a single 30k award. That is the only way to know for sure.

And the A321 you see for LAX-ORD will be a normal 321, not a 321T.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Awards with just AA metal will generally allow some pretty crazy routings, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was allowed. Your best bet is to put those flights on hold using the multi-city booking at aa.com, then call AA to see if they can re-price it as a single 30k award. That is the only way to know for sure.

And the A321 you see for LAX-ORD will be a normal 321, not a 321T.
You are right, no i wouldnt do it. For an instance i thought it was the A321T- i was enticed by the 77W / A321T combo, but nope its just the regular 321. I wouldnt do that crazy routing. I almost forgot! - MIA-LAX is almost 6 hours. Even if i can get the 777 + 787 (i think i saw one LAX-ORD, not sure), flight duration is too much for the love of aviation! Why do the have a 738 for an international nice looking route?

Unless anyone has any idea, how to improve-make more fun but not suicide schedule, i think i'll leave it the direct route. I want YYZ because i want to go to Montreal and Ottawa (as well as Toronto) . Vancouver was nice looking but its really far away from most major Canadian cities and i might connect from Toronto to Europe on a star alliance award.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:27 am

AA not releasing award space

I see that Flight AA 86 from ORD to LHR on Mar 19 has 23 business seats available out of total of 36 seats but still there is no saver award available. Any idea why AA is not releasing award space when the flight is just only 3 days away and there are lots of unsold seats.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Seat map is not a perfect indicator of space. Could be AA is holding some space for upgrades. SAAVER Award space is released sporadically, and they tend to be booked quickly. You may have to wait, or book a lower cabin, or higher award.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The seat map only shows assigned or blocked seats, it does not show ticket sales. There could be people who have purchased tickets but don't have a seat assignment.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if the seat map were an indicator of load, which it is not, AA has sophisticated predictive software which recommends fare bucket (including award) decisions based on hundreds of data points to which none of us have access.

Just one example might be that AA anticipates the cancellation of some other flight which will create the need for seats on your flight. The last thing AA wants to have done is to have opened saver award space and then be forced to downgrade paying passengers.

Or, it's a big mistake because the software is imperfect.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
EF shows J7Y0. Suggests to me that economy is overbooked. Probably all the spring breakers. AA is stingy with J awards anyway - they seem to release those in batches. So I'm not sure what your question is. Looks like some people may get op-ups!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:05 am
E55

It seems reasonable that less space will be available just ahead of the repricing. Hopefully, more space will be released post-repricing. For confirmed at booking SWU use, too (hopefully).
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Even if the seat map were an indicator of load, which it is not, AA has sophisticated predictive software which recommends fare bucket (including award) decisions based on hundreds of data points to which none of us have access.

Just one example might be that AA anticipates the cancellation of some other flight which will create the need for seats on your flight. The last thing AA wants to have done is to have opened saver award space and then be forced to downgrade paying passengers.

Or, it's a big mistake because the software is imperfect.
...or AA has decided to make it hard to get awards hoping that you'll get in the habit of buying tickets instead of thinking that you can use miles.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by E55
It seems reasonable that less space will be available just ahead of the repricing. Hopefully, more space will be released post-repricing. For confirmed at booking SWU use, too (hopefully).
So the Mar 19 flight will be repriced?
Originally Posted by no1cub17
EF shows J7Y0. Suggests to me that economy is overbooked... Looks like some people may get op-ups!
That's it.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by niting
I see that Flight AA 86 from ORD to LHR on Mar 19 has 23 business seats available out of total of 36 seats but still there is no saver award available. Any idea why AA is not releasing award space when the flight is just only 3 days away and there are lots of unsold seats.
This is nothing new. Devaluation or no devaluation, AA has generally never released last minute business sAAver awards to and from Europe (especially LHR). Occasionally you'll see some space open up last minute to Asia, and to 2nd tier cities in Europe (generally in the winter, and on wide open old config 777 routes in F & J).

But to LHR, in the spring, your chances are almost zero. It's been this way for years.

I've booked a lot of last minute travel between Europe, on many occasions seen flights that were J7C7 24 hrs before the flight go out with a half empty business cabin with 0 sAAver awards ever released.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:43 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
...or AA has decided to make it hard to get awards hoping that you'll get in the habit of buying tickets instead of thinking that you can use miles.
Why have a FF program which allows one to accumulate (RDM) miles, if you won't be able to use them?
Maybe the correct descriptor should be MRDM [Maybe Redeemable Miles.]
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
Why have a FF program which allows one to accumulate (RDM) miles, if you won't be able to use them?
Lack of space on one flight three days from now is hardly indicative of anything.

There's plenty of AA saver award space to be found - in J - if one has some flexibility in dates, and is looking further out in time.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Yeah you're not gonna get much support here. I've burned upwards of 300k AA miles the past few years, mostly on premium awards. Plus AA has still released more premium awards in the past few months than ever before.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by niting
As this doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary, I'm going to shift this discussion to the MileSAAver award question help desk. Good luck with your travels!

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.