Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights Bali to Asia are cheap and frequent with many carriers. http://www.baliairport.com/flight-st...ls-departures/
Look for an award to SIN or BKK and then buy a cash fares
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Also be aware of the devaluation coming on March 22nd.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Also be aware of the devaluation coming on March 22nd.
Not much you can do for travel in May 2017
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by moa999
Not much you can do for travel in May 2017
Agreed however when one says they have enough miles for travel that may not be enough for May 2017.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
You can try JL too. May have to split 2 and 2 with JL and CX. Sound advice above to make it to SIN, KUL, CGK, or BKK and buy a cash flight to DPS if availability is scarce.

I think routing through Australia will cost 2 awards.

There are interesting fifth freedom flights that you can do as well. For instance I'm doing KUL-CGK on KLM soon. I think they also offer a SIN-DPS, and usually these are pretty cheap.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
Trying to find Business class saver award for TPA-SCL and EZE-TPA return. Willing to drive to MCO, MIA, or JAX or open to any other ideas. Ideal dates are Jan 20, returning Feb 5th. Any hope? The return date will open this weekend, but so far neither SCL or EZE has any business class saver awards for January at all.
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you called AA to check on availability on LAN or TAM (which cannot be displayed on aa.com)?
You should do the search on BA site first.

Based on the monitoring for the last 3 months, this is how I find.

You would not find anything on LAN for JFK-SCL or MIA-SCL. LAN deliberately put these into married segments with ZCO for the MIA-SCL flight, but at least you could find J if you include ZCO on your itinerary (just ditch it once you arrive SCL). For JFK-SCL, the married segment is PMC but there is 0 J availability just so you know.

As for TAM, I would NOT book any award on TAM flights - someone has reported TAM refuses to confirm his ticketed AA award flights - told him those are standby only. AA of course said it should not be, but even an AA supervisor was told flat out by TAM that this would be standby only. I forgot on which thread this is reported - either it is on its own thread or on the LAN award thread. Those who are interested can do search to find it. I stopped following the development but as a couple weeks ago TAM still would not budge and insist that the passenger is on standby.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timster65
I am beginning to plan for a long anticipated trip to Bali from Atlanta in May 2017. Yes, 2017 is not a typo, just planning in advance. I have enough AA Miles for four round trip award business class tickets. I was thinking of Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong, but it sounds like it is going to be very difficult to get four tickets in business class. Are there other viable options for me to consider? Any ideas?
You do know AA will raise miles required after March 21? For the US-Asia2 currently is 55K one way. Starting March 22 it will be 70K one way.

Not hard to find 4 business seats TPAC. CX routinely release 5 business seats on the LAX-HKG route, but you need to book early. Both LAX and JFK routinely see 5 J seats available on 3 out of 4 daily flights.

HKG-DPS might actually be the segment you may need to split your party into 2 and fly on different flights. So as the ATL to CX US gateways.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by LGA
Hopefully jchanpaper knows that he is MUCH better off in J on LAX-JFK than "F" LAX-DFW/CLT-JFK. Lie-flat seats in J on LAX-JFK nonstops.
Oh I would definitely try my best to be in J as it will be a super long trip so any additional comfort will be more than welcome
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott, Sheraton, Delta, American
Re: ATL to DPS Business Class

Do you know if Japan Airlines release 4 business class seats with connection to DPS? I've read some reviews and it seems like Japan Airlines might have as good or even better business class experience than Cathay Pacific. Would you agree?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by timster65
I am beginning to plan for a long anticipated trip to Bali from Atlanta in May 2017. Yes, 2017 is not a typo, just planning in advance. I have enough AA Miles for four round trip award business class tickets. I was thinking of Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong, but it sounds like it is going to be very difficult to get four tickets in business class. Are there other viable options for me to consider? Any ideas?
Fly on JL via NRT to CGK Jakarta. Buy a cheap ticket CGK-DPS Bali on a local carrier. That's what I did in 2013.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete. wrong thread.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:43 pm

After reading your recommendations and doing some searches, I'm thinking these are good:
JL - JFK-NRT-PVG for 35k
JL - PVG-NRT-PVG for 35k

issue is, I have 43k miles and my wife has 17k miles.
I can get 3k more miles from e-rewards, but that still leaves me 7k short.
I can buy 7k miles for $200 from aa.com

Any other options? (let me search for a "keeping miles" thread)

Thanks!

edit - just saw a thread about converting hotel points into miles.
I have a ton of hilton and marriott points, so that is a good option, just not sure how long it takes to convert

Last edited by sard; Mar 10, 2016 at 11:07 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sard
After reading your recommendations and doing some searches, I'm thinking these are good:
JL - JFK-NRT-PVG for 35k
JL - PVG-NRT-PVG for 35k

issue is, I have 43k miles and my wife has 17k miles.
I can get 3k more miles from e-rewards, but that still leaves me 7k short.
I can buy 7k miles for $200 from aa.com

Any other options? (let me search for a "keeping miles" thread)

Thanks!

edit - just saw a thread about converting hotel points into miles.
I have a ton of hilton and marriott points, so that is a good option, just not sure how long it takes to convert
How do you plan to use your wife's miles? AA charges a fee to transfer miles from one account to another, and 17K is not enough for even a one-way between the U.S. and Asia.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
One-way award on CX

Apologies if I missed the answers in my reading of the various Help - AA Award threads.

I'm looking to book just a one-way from SIN-HKG. I have enough miles for J or F. It would be on CX and I understand from the instructions that if awards are for a OW partner, I have to call it in.

If I've missed something or if you can offer a suggestion when dealing with the AAgent, much appreciated. TIA.

Last edited by 24left; Mar 11, 2016 at 2:07 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm looking to book an award ex-EU to South Africa. Am I correct in reading the chart that it is 37,500 miles each way in C? Also, is travel to Africa allowed via the Middle East; i.e. can I book via EY or QR?

Thanks
FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.