Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1852180-archive-2016-help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jchanpaper
I am looking to get a ticket for HAN-JFK. Can I route this via LAX on the same ticket? Basically it would be HAN-HKG-LAX-JFK or HAN-NRT-LAX-JFK. To stretch this even a little bit more can it be HAN-HKG-NRT-LAX-JFK?

Another question is if 1 segment is in first does this make the whole itinerary to be priced out in first (the rest in business or economy)?
Welcome to FT...all of those routings should be ok as a single award. If one of your flights is in First on a 3 class aircraft, then the whole award will be priced as First.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:19 am

Hello,

I'm fairly new to using AA miles as I just started earning and using awards a little over a year ago. I'm looking to travel from IND to DUB on June 29,30 of this year using MileSAAver points. And then coming from EDI to IND doing the same thing on July 10. I'm trying to use just 60k miles as, I don't want to purchase more and it's all I have at the time.

I currently have my flight booked for Jun 29th leaving very early in the morning and connecting via Charlotte to Dublin. I would like to book a later flight leaving in the evening on the 29th or leaving on the 30th. What are the chances of more MileSAAver points to open up or could there be another route I could take (would like to avoid BA at all costs).

Same goes for EDI to IND, I'm currently booked to leave on the 12th of July and due to meetings now at work I need to be back on 10th. I'm hoping MileSAAver points will open up for this as well.

Hopefully this makes sense and you all pros could provide some feedback from back experiences and trends. Thanks ahead of time!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:58 am

I have a question. I booked an award ticket to MLE.

Anyway, on the return, I get to fly the CXA350 from BKK -> HKG.
As of now, that flight is CX754. However, looking at the maps, it seems that CX708 will also be operated by a 350.

However, when I go to purchase the ticket on CX.com (just to see aircraft) it still shows a regional configuration.

My wife wants to max some time in phucket/or somewhere else, so leaving at the night should be best.

I do want to check out the A350 though.

So my question is, sould I change it now? Or just wait to see if the equipment will change on CX?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
EDIT: Note that between the two of you, you have enough AA miles for a one way business award. You can have your wife transfer 14k of her points to you (for $175 + $15 processing fee), and you can book the ticket for her--J class may be worth the small fee, especially if your wife is not going to really use those 17k miles.
Do you still see this?
I checked and did not see any business options for less than 85k

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by mmdough
For traveling to Europe, I actually find it easier to find award availability on Star Alliance than One World (cause I would avoid flying BA). Try searching from different US cities instead of your home airport and also different destination cities in Europe. You might luck out if you try to be flexible. You can also fly One World one way and Star Alliance the other. That said, you are trying to redeem award tickets 3 months out which is always a challenge no matter what program you use. With ticket prices so cheap these days, maybe you can just buy a coach ticket for this summer and plan a great trip for next time with your miles/points in business/first.
Oh yeah I've expanded my search waaaaay beyond my home city!!! My problem with Star Alliance is that it seems most of the business class offerings kind of suck unless you're flying to Asia. It sort of defeats the purpose if you end up on old business class where you basically just have a bit more room but nothing special otherwise. That's my impression anyway, perhaps I'm wrong?

Last edited by Sinurgy; Mar 7, 2016 at 4:46 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT...all of those routings should be ok as a single award. If one of your flights is in First on a 3 class aircraft, then the whole award will be priced as First.
Thank you Jeffrey.

Let's say I want to do HAN-HKG-LAX-JFK and I can find CX seats in first class, how do I go about getting a seat on the last leg in first as well? What I mean is when I check the dates I want I see that LAX-JFK on AA is not a milesaaver ticket at 32,500 miles but rather at 85,000 miles, can I still get my award ticket to priced out at 67,500 miles for the whole itinerary?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jchanpaper
Thank you Jeffrey.

Let's say I want to do HAN-HKG-LAX-JFK and I can find CX seats in first class, how do I go about getting a seat on the last leg in first as well? What I mean is when I check the dates I want I see that LAX-JFK on AA is not a milesaaver ticket at 32,500 miles but rather at 85,000 miles, can I still get my award ticket to priced out at 67,500 miles for the whole itinerary?
No, there has to be Milesaver space on LAX-JFK. If there is space in Y or J, you could take a voluntary downgrade for now and hope F will open up later. You could also add a connection--e.g., LAX-DFW-JFK or LAX-CLT-JFK--and later change to LAX-JFK.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:13 am

Where did all the NRT MileSAAver awards go?

I've been keeping an eye on MileSAAver awards for US to NRT and vice versa in July/August for a few weeks and there's been tons of availability.

Just checked this morning and it's all gone before September. What happened? There were months of wide open availability.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by werDrD
I've been keeping an eye on MileSAAver awards for US to NRT and vice versa in July/August for a few weeks and there's been tons of availability.

Just checked this morning and it's all gone before September. What happened? There were months of wide open availability.
I'll merge this into the extant MileSAAver award availability discussion thread.

~Moderator
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:23 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
No, there has to be Milesaver space on LAX-JFK. If there is space in Y or J, you could take a voluntary downgrade for now and hope F will open up later. You could also add a connection--e.g., LAX-DFW-JFK or LAX-CLT-JFK--and later change to LAX-JFK.
Hopefully jchanpaper knows that he is MUCH better off in J on LAX-JFK than "F" LAX-DFW/CLT-JFK. Lie-flat seats in J on LAX-JFK nonstops.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:20 am

Trying to find Business class saver award for TPA-SCL and EZE-TPA return. Willing to drive to MCO, MIA, or JAX or open to any other ideas. Ideal dates are Jan 20, returning Feb 5th. Any hope? The return date will open this weekend, but so far neither SCL or EZE has any business class saver awards for January at all.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
Trying to find Business class saver award for TPA-SCL and EZE-TPA return. Willing to drive to MCO, MIA, or JAX or open to any other ideas. Ideal dates are Jan 20, returning Feb 5th. Any hope? The return date will open this weekend, but so far neither SCL or EZE has any business class saver awards for January at all.
Have you called AA to check on availability on LAN or TAM (which cannot be displayed on aa.com)?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott, Sheraton, Delta, American
Travel to Bali from ATL using AA Miles

I am beginning to plan for a long anticipated trip to Bali from Atlanta in May 2017. Yes, 2017 is not a typo, just planning in advance. I have enough AA Miles for four round trip award business class tickets. I was thinking of Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong, but it sounds like it is going to be very difficult to get four tickets in business class. Are there other viable options for me to consider? Any ideas?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Planning 12 months out is sensible...
That said getting 4 business award tickets on any single flight is very difficult - be prepared to split travel.

MH also flies from KUL, and QF-sub JQ (an LCC) flies from most major Australian ports (and they do have a premium cabin that they call Business (in reality its PE) on their 787s)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:04 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm moving this to the AA board as it involves using AA miles.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.