Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Changing EWR to JFK (vv) will involve a change fee. O/D stands for original and destination airports.
Agree... I was charged a fee to move from LGA-ORD-NRT-SIN on to a JFK-HKG-SIN flight a couple of years ago. My arguing that LGA and JFK were in the same city / co-terminals did not work. My mistake for not starting out from JFK in the first place but like the OP I had assumed that co-terminals was good enough.

DAK
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Good to know. Maybe it is a YMMV type of issue as I have been able to convince agents to switch between coterminals in the past without incurring a fee. It was on other airlines and not AA/CX.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cityfishing
Good to know. Maybe it is a YMMV type of issue as I have been able to convince agents to switch between coterminals in the past without incurring a fee. It was on other airlines and not AA/CX.
For AA awards, connection point you can switch (including co-terminal airports), not O/D.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cityfishing
I have an AA miles award reservation for HKG-ORD-JFK. If space on a direct flight opens up, I know I can switch to HKG-JFK without a fee since I am not changing O or D, but what about HKG-EWR? I would think so since JFK/LGA/EWR are coterminals but I want to check if anyone has done this and if a change fee was charged.
You will be charged change fee. AA Award travel does NOT consider co-terminals at O/D, it is based on Airports.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Urgent! If AA makes a schedule change for my CX flight in May, am I allowed to request a refund of the miles for no fee? The times changed by 5 minutes to 10 minutes on 2 of the 4 flights. I thought that I heard somewhere you can cancel a flight and get a refund if this happens. How much time do I have to act?

I read on a blog post that it has to be within 24 hours or so of departure if it is an AA partner flight but not sure how accurate this is.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by starbuk
Urgent! If AA makes a schedule change for my CX flight in May, am I allowed to request a refund of the miles for no fee? The times changed by 5 minutes to 10 minutes on 2 of the 4 flights. I thought that I heard somewhere you can cancel a flight and get a refund if this happens. How much time do I have to act?

I read on a blog post that it has to be within 24 hours or so of departure if it is an AA partner flight but not sure how accurate this is.
I've been able to argue with AA for a refund with only a 15 minute schedule change. Of course YMMV.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by starbuk

I think for a 5 to 10 minute change there is unlikely to be any waiver or re-accommodation unless that schedule change causes a miss-connect (now violates minimum connecting times). But you could check here and see whether there is a rule that you fit within...
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...ule_240_80.jsp

DAK
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by tng11
I've been able to argue with AA for a refund with only a 15 minute schedule change. Of course YMMV.
Originally Posted by dkerr
I think for a 5 to 10 minute change there is unlikely to be any waiver or re-accommodation unless that schedule change causes a miss-connect (now violates minimum connecting times). But you could check here and see whether there is a rule that you fit within...
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...ule_240_80.jsp

DAK
Thank you both, it is worth a try.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Gold
sneaky extra charges!

Keep an eye on your credit card statement for incorrect award ticketing charges. I just booked 2 AA awards on CX flights for next year. I was charged $38.30 in taxes each which shows on my eticket receipt. When I was looking at my credit card statement online I saw an additional $40 charge for each ticket. I called AA to ask what that was for. I was told it was the charge for booking on the phone. AA is refunding it because it isn't supposed to be charged if you can't book the partner online.

I doubt AA would have caught the "mistake" and refunded the charge if I had not asked about it.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: AS GOLD
I was charged telephone booking fees as well yesterday. I was quoted the right amounf over the phone but when the e-ticket came in. I saw the extra $40 fee. I called and inquired about it. They refunded me the $40.

Also, I have been using BA.com to check availability on CX 1st. Can't see any open seat for 1st. I decided to call AA anyway. To my surprise, there was seat for grab. I was really happy. Round trip first class.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AOPA
I have heard that if you dropped a leg of a married segment, it will come back as canceled.

Here is my experience, searched ord-xxx there are two seats, if you seach ord-hkg only one seat is available. I assume one seat can be only released by a married segment.

So I held both seats ord-hkk-xxx, with the intention of not using the last leg. When I went to ticket yesterday, there was additions $100 hkg taxes added to the final bill. So decide to take the risk and dropped part of the married segment hkg-xxx.

Come this morning, the ord-hkg leg for both seats are ticketed. Hope they don't cancel it some how.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddy25
I have heard that if you dropped a leg of a married segment, it will come back as canceled.

Here is my experience, searched ord-xxx there are two seats, if you seach ord-hkg only one seat is available. I assume one seat can be only released by a married segment.

So I held both seats ord-hkk-xxx, with the intention of not using the last leg. When I went to ticket yesterday, there was additions $100 hkg taxes added to the final bill. So decide to take the risk and dropped part of the married segment hkg-xxx.
Interesting. So, you did this (dropping segment & ticketing) via a phone agent, correct?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Interesting. So, you did this (dropping segment & ticketing) via a phone agent, correct?
Affirmative
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:20 pm

Just booked a flight from BKK to ORD via HKG on Cathay for November. Only economy was available, and no flexibility on dates .

Any recommendations on when to look for additional business/first seats to open?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by bearsfan72
Just booked a flight from BKK to ORD via HKG on Cathay for November. Only economy was available, and no flexibility on dates .

Any recommendations on when to look for additional business/first seats to open?
Hi,

Are you willing to make an extra stop in JFK or LAX or SFO or BOS ?

Suggest to check weekly until 2 weeks prior departure.
Check daily within the last 2 weeks.
Check almost hourly within the last 48 / 24 hours.

You may check on ba.com or jal or qantas
You may find some difference with what AA phone will say with the above sites.

IMHO, don't spend miles for a Y ticket
BTW, does JAL a legal routing for a single 67500 award ? Believe yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.