Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
CX has an available award seat (viewable to BA and QF websites) that I would like to grab but EXP desk says they can't see the inventory. I forget, is there a trick that will allow the AA agent to see the seat?
The last time I tried, it looks like AA will see the availability about 12 hours late.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
The last time I tried, it looks like AA will see the availability about 12 hours late.
Well that's ridiculous. No way the seat will still be there.

Thanks for the intel though. Good to hear others experiences.

Last edited by Ross0; Mar 20, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
deleted
Too bad, I was hoping for some of your excellent wisdom on the drop-hold issue after ticketing when it was originally a married segment.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Well that's ridiculous. No way the seat will still be there.

Thanks for the intel though. Good to hear others experiences.
If you have Alaska miles, AS can book it sooner than AA. Otherwise, good luck and hope that you get it! It was a blast for first time premium flyers.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:43 pm

If you have Alaska miles, AS can book it sooner than AA. Otherwise, good luck and hope that you get it! It was a blast for first time premium flyers.
Thanks. I have a domestic US segment before it and an intra-Asian segment after it, neither of which are available now, so I can't re-book through another program, otherwise I'd grab it with BA Miles.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
That's true if it hasn't been ticketed yet. I've dropped/modified/added married segments over a dozen times post-ticketing. Never a problem.
You are right, I guess. I looked at award availability the next day and found the "married connection" flights. I presumed the same connections would apply for the previous day. Called AA and changed the PVG-HKG flight to one earlier in the day with no problems.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkerr
Yes. However... if I make a booking today for a flight a month from now and have it all ticketed, then call back and change it to a flight next week, then the close-in $75 fee will be charged. This is to avoid a loophole where people could book a flight for sometime well in the future and then change it to a much closer flight. The date you originally ticketed the flight must be more than 21 days before the date of flight you are changing to.

DAK
I am not talking about the $75 close in fee but the mentioning by OP that he has to pay $150 change fee penalty for moving his CX flight a day earlier. Did not you nee the part I underlined? It was the $150 fee OP said, not the $75 close in fee that he did need to pay.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:06 am

Maybe. But I've booked plenty of real-time tickets. Ie I've caught CX awards withing 3 minutes of them appearing on BA, and immediately ticketed on AA. I'd keep calling.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I am not talking about the $75 close in fee but the mentioning by OP that he has to pay $150 change fee penalty for moving his CX flight a day earlier. Did not you nee the part I underlined? It was the $150 fee OP said, not the $75 close in fee that he did need to pay.
Sorry, no I didn't notice your underlining. I was answering OP's question about the $75 close in fee not the $150 change fee which you answered.

DAK
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:05 am

Help Please - Departing in 8 hours and AA just gave up

Traveller:
Wife & 8 month infant.

Route:
KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA
(KUL-LAX on CX, LAX-SEA on AS)

Ticket Type:
Wife - Business. AAdvantage redemption. Ticketing complete.
Infant - Business. Cash. Ticketing incomplete.

Background:
Bookings made Friday. Wife's ticket finally issued a few hours ago. I called an AAgent (who was really nice) about my infant's ticket and was told:

Issue:
Ticket for infant cannot be issued by AA because AS requires a paper ticket. AAgent suggest that wife deals with CX at checkin at KUL; that is to have a paper ticket issued for infant by CX. I was warned by the AAgent that CX may quote a difference price at that time.

It does not sound right that I made the reservations through AA (although for travel on CX and AS), and to be told by AA to have CX sort this out? I hate to have my baby show up at the airport with no ticket!

There is no CX US number to call on a Sunday, so I am calling HK right now.

Advice?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by bacxow
Traveller:
Wife & 8 month infant.

Route:
KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA

Ticket Type:

Background:
Bookings made Friday. Wife's ticket finally issued a few hours ago. I called an AAgent (who was really nice) about my infant's ticket and was told:

Issue:
Ticket for infant cannot be issued by AA because AS requires a paper ticket. AAgent suggest that wife deals with CX at checkin at KUL; that is to have a paper ticket issued for infant by CX. I was warned by the AAgent that CX may quote a difference price at that time.

It does not sound right that I made the reservations through AA (although for travel on CX and AS), and to be told by AA to have CX sort this out? I hate to have my baby show up at the airport with no ticket!

Advice?
infant in seat? Just book as an adult, the # of miles is the same. I never complicate things by identifying ages. Oops, just re-read. Cash. Sorry, don't know.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:38 am
Suspended

Traveller:
Wife & 8 month infant.

Route:
KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA

Ticket Type:

Background:

Issue:

Advice?
No way to have known it in advance (unless someone was on the ball enough to mention it to you) but that AS CX combo strikes me as very difficult and problematic:

Infants on Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines does not allow e-tickets for infants while AA does not issue paper tickets. How to resolve? AA makes an exception and will issue a paper ticket for an infant when the carrier in question does not allow an infant e-ticket (like Alaskan Airlines). This is per AS CODESHARE and per CHILD.

Note 1: If there are other carriers on the ticket where e-tickets are not accepted (BA is a good example), then a separate ticket must be issued.
this may account for the lack of ability to tell you price as well:
Infant Fares - CX Prime or AA Codeshare Operated by CX

Be sure and check the rules on fares where flights are on AA codeshare flights operated by CX infant or on CX prime flights. The fare may be 25% of the adult fare rather than the 10% we normally see. Remember that for CX fares, since this is an OA carrier, the rules must be checked.
Important note:CX charges YR tax on infant fares. AA does not.
Hopefully working in your favor though is that CX recently changed it's policy to allow booking up to 1 hour before flight (used to be 4 hour cutoff)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:52 pm

Traveller:
Wife & 8 month infant.

Route:
KUL-HKG-LAX-SEA

Ticket Type:

Background:

Issue:

Advice?
As others have noted this is going to be complex. I agree with you that leaving it until arrival at airport is probably unwise. I would look into whether you can treat the CX flights and the AS flights separately... ie, ticket the infant for KUL-HKG-LAX separately from the ticket LAX-SEA. Not sure whether this works given that the accompanying adult has a through KUL-SEA ticket, but it is worth trying.

Also, look carefully at whether to book it as a CX fare or as a AA fare. I suggest that you go to http://matrix.itasoftware.com and search your itinerary. Be sure to expand passenger section to select one adult and one infant-in-lap and you can select advanced routing options and enter X:HKG to force connection in HKG. If you search KUL-SEA then you can enter X:HKG X:LAX to force those two connection points.

On this particular route, one-way KUL-LAX/SEA it looks like CX charge 10% for infant in lap. As JonNYC observes, it can be 25% for some routes.

Having played with matrix.itasoftware.com right now, I suggest a call to CX and see if they can ticket it... a sample itinerary is pricing out at $740 for the infant which is about as good as you can expect it to get.

Good luck,
DAK

Itinerary
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Seattle (SEA) — Wed, Apr 15
Long layoverOvernight flight

Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Hong Kong (HKG) — Wed, Apr 15
Cathay Pacific 1716
Dep: 8:05 am
Arr: 12:00 pm
3h 55m
Boeing 737
Business (D)
Breakfast, Breakfast
OPERATED BY MALAYSIA AIRLINES
Layover in HKG
4h 35m

Hong Kong (HKG) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Wed, Apr 15
Cathay Pacific 882
Dep: 4:35 pm
Arr: 2:55 pm
13h 20m
Boeing 777
Business (D)
Breakfast, Dinner, Breakfast, DinnerMovie, MovieTelephone, TelephoneIn-seat Video Player, In-seat Video Player
Layover in LAX
2h 55m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Seattle (SEA) — Wed, Apr 15
Alaska Airlines 461
Dep: 5:50 pm
Arr: 8:35 pm
2h 45m
Boeing 737
First (P)
Snack or Brunch, Snack or Brunch
Mileage
9,777 total miles
CO2 Emissions
5,283 kg (estimated by ITA).
Airport Information
Kuala Lumpur International (KUL)
Seattle/Tacoma Sea/Tac (SEA)
Hong Kong International (HKG)
Los Angeles International (LAX)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
$6,740.80
x1 (1 adult)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
$740.20
x1 (1 infant in lap)
Total cost for 2 passengers
$7,481.00
How to buy this ticket
Tickets cannot be purchased directly from ITA Software.
Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare for 1 adult
Fare 1: Carrier CX D KUL to SEA (rules)
Passenger type ADT, ONE-WAY-ONLY fare, booking code D, P
Covers KUL-HKG (Business), HKG-LAX (Business), LAX-SEA (First)
$6,652.88
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$5.60
USDA APHIS Fee (XA)
$5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY)
$7.00
US Customs Fee (YC)
$5.50
CX YR surcharge (YR)
$29.40
US International Arrival Tax (US)
$17.70
Malaysia MY (MY)
$17.60
Subtotal per passenger
$6,740.80
Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 adult
$6,740.80
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
KUL CX X/HKG CX X/LAX Q5.80 AS SEA 5M 7077.56D NUC 7083.36 END ROE 3.4748 XT 17.60MY 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 17.70US 5.60AY 29.40YR
Fare for 1 infant in lap
Fare 1: Carrier CX D KUL to SEA (rules)
Passenger type INF, ONE-WAY-ONLY fare, booking code D, P
Covers KUL-HKG (Business), HKG-LAX (Business), LAX-SEA (First)
$670.07
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$5.60
USDA APHIS Fee (XA)
$5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY)
$7.00
US Customs Fee (YC)
$5.50
CX YR surcharge (YR)
$29.40
US International Arrival Tax (US)
$17.70
Subtotal per passenger
$740.20
Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 infant in lap
$740.20
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
KUL CX X/HKG CX X/LAX Q5.80 AS SEA 5M 707.69D NUC 713.49 END ROE 3.4748 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 17.70US 5.60AY 29.40YR
Total Airfare & Taxes
$7,481.00
Email this itinerary
Print this page
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Maybe. But I've booked plenty of real-time tickets. Ie I've caught CX awards withing 3 minutes of them appearing on BA, and immediately ticketed on AA. I'd keep calling.
Just a data point - AA never saw the seat that I wanted, even 20 hours after it first appeared on BA and QF's sites. The seat then disappeared from BA and QF's site when the flight went F0.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
If I reschedule an F flight (no charge) to another date but put myself into Y instead of F, do I get the difference in miles refunded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.