Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Does this really mean if one can see the seat available on Award Nexus AA will have it? so act quickly.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
Dose CX availability typically show back up after the ticket has been canceled? If so how long dose it usually take?

I currently have a ticket booked on a very competitive route with no other availability within weeks. I have another trip I have to book on JAL that i don't have enough miles for. I would like to switch out the AA miles for AS miles, but I don't want risk losing the original seat.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I am moving this thread to the AA forum as it is about redeeming AA miles.

Regards
sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
CX F inventory has decreased dramatically over the past year on basically all routes - the reason being that they have decreased the amount of F seats in the network. 744s with 9F were replaced with 77G with 0F.

SFO went from 15F across 2 flights to 6F across 2.5 flights.
LAX stayed at 18F across 3 flights to 18F across 4 flights.
ORD went from ~9F across 1.5 flights to 6F across 1 flight (averaged).
NYC went from 24F across 4 flights to ~21F across 5 flights (averaged).

Not hard to see why availability has decreased.

Obviously the somewhat bright spot here is that BOS is launching with a 4 class cabin which should mitigate some of the damage, but it's still a decrease of 9 F seats per day from the US to HK, which is a LOT when there are only 51 now.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
Can I use add'l AA miles to move from J to F if the inventory is available even if I have completed a domestic segment of the same ticket?

Flying DCA-JFK-HKG next week (CX flight in J) and am closely watching to see if CX opens F award space (I booked these tickets 331 days out and there has never been F space available). If after the DCA-JFK leg is complete CX opens F inventory to HKG can I call AA and move to F or is this sort of change not permitted after the initial segment? I assume I can still use more miles to re ticket to F but would like confirmation
In my experience the answer has been no. No changes once itinerary begins. If truly optimistic (CX showing F4 for example), I'd ask the PNR be split into two, and just pay the 12,500 domestic leg and in turn an additional 12,500 if F opens. Perhaps they'll even split it PNR in two and not collect the additional domestic miles. My guess is outcome depends on agent you get. Good luck.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Limewood
Does this really mean if one can see the seat available on Award Nexus AA will have it? so act quickly.
Technically it means BA/QF/JL can see it (you tell Awardnexus which airline to do the search). But I've always been able to subsequently book via AA, though others have experienced difficulty. For me, the answer to your question is a simple YES but others may disagree.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by spkg
Dose CX availability typically show back up after the ticket has been canceled? If so how long dose it usually take?

I currently have a ticket booked on a very competitive route with no other availability within weeks. I have another trip I have to book on JAL that i don't have enough miles for. I would like to switch out the AA miles for AS miles, but I don't want risk losing the original seat.
HIGH RISK. I've found the answer on long haul segments to be yes, and usually within an hour. Short haul no (though I've only done it twice). Seems risky to jeopardize your entire trip.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:22 am

If some time has lapsed since you booked - then you're taking a massive gamble given that CX allows its own members to waitlist awards. Your chances would be close to zero if say, F inventory is F2/F3. If the loads are light (e.g. F5) then I've seen them re-released more frequently, but it still doesn't always happen.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

You can not count on the award coming back. It may or may not. For example if you when you obtain the award, the cabin was empty but now other passengers booked space, CX may decide to no longer offer awards. There is no "minimum" number of award seats per flight. I've seen empty F cabins 30 days out without award space.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DWFI
CX F inventory has decreased dramatically over the past year on basically all routes - the reason being that they have decreased the amount of F seats in the network. 744s with 9F were replaced with 77G with 0F.

SFO went from 15F across 2 flights to 6F across 2.5 flights.
LAX stayed at 18F across 3 flights to 18F across 4 flights.
ORD went from ~9F across 1.5 flights to 6F across 1 flight (averaged).
NYC went from 24F across 4 flights to ~21F across 5 flights (averaged).

Not hard to see why availability has decreased.

Obviously the somewhat bright spot here is that BOS is launching with a 4 class cabin which should mitigate some of the damage, but it's still a decrease of 9 F seats per day from the US to HK, which is a LOT when there are only 51 now.
Don't forget YVR... which also took a hit (1 77G flight with 0F, 1 77H with 6F).
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
In my experience the answer has been no. No changes once itinerary begins. If truly optimistic (CX showing F4 for example), I'd ask the PNR be split into two, and just pay the 12,500 domestic leg and in turn an additional 12,500 if F opens. Perhaps they'll even split it PNR in two and not collect the additional domestic miles. My guess is outcome depends on agent you get. Good luck.
Well that sucks. CX flight is F4. There are two of us traveling. We leave DCA nearly 7 hours before the CX flight leaves JFK. Sounds like if we get to JFK and CX has F award seats available we won't be able to change.

Thanks for the tip.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
No changes once itinerary begins.
This seems wrong for award booking using AA miles.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
I agree. It just doesn't sound right.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by geclub1
I agree. It just doesn't sound right.
jamiebaker is saying no changes to the flights associated with that pricing unit once travel begins. DCA-JFK-HKG is one award. If DCA-JFK has been flown, he is saying JFK-HKG can't be changed in his experience.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that as I have no experience with this.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:23 am

Well that sucks. CX flight is F4. There are two of us traveling. We leave DCA nearly 7 hours before the CX flight leaves JFK. Sounds like if we get to JFK and CX has F award seats available we won't be able to change.

Thanks for the tip.
I had DPS-HKG-LHR, at T-24 I wanted to change the HKG-LHR (from BA to CX) and AA phone agent told me that I'll be able to change it in HKG (if some seats are released after my DPS departure)
Finally I didn't try as a CX seat was released before my DPS departure at about T-15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.