Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I paid $80 ish per person in taxes/ fees for an award flight LAX-HKG rt (J/Y) J going Y return. Gonna try to change to F or J when it opens up. Is this the normal amount for taxes/ fees? I'm guessing the CSR charged me for phone ticketing fee, I'll call back once I get my eticket and cc charged.

Last edited by hiima; Apr 23, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: American, United, Alaska, IHG Gold, Amtrak
Just finished booking a RTW adventure from MCO. The highlight stop is REP. Talk about sticker shock, I was able to score AA F to ORD and ORD HKG in Cathay F On return Cathay F HKG to CDG and then onto AA J to DFW and AA F back to MCO. No oneworld carrier would cough up a ticket to REP so I used United miles to fly HKG-ICN-REP-ICN_HKG in J on Asiana and Thai. Those short hops cost more Miles than any other segment by at least 10 grand in miles. I burned by UA miles up lately as they are becoming like Delta Sky Pesos. Oneworld is not perfect but at least they don't fleece you yet. Yes AA has long lost the 10 course transcon meal for now, but they still give folks that fly miles. buy miles, get gifted miles, or buy everything on CC's to get a fair shake. Better yet when we ..... enough they do listen to a point,
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
I paid $80 ish per person in taxes/ fees for an award flight LAX-HKG rt (J/Y) J going Y return. Gonna try to change to F or J when it opens up. Is this the normal amount for taxes/ fees? I'm guessing the CSR charged me for phone ticketing fee, I'll call back once I get my eticket and cc charged.
I booked SFO-HKG, and the taxes were $5 per person.

2 weeks later, I booked HKG-LAX, and the taxes were $61 per person.

I double checked with 2 agents, and the only reason they can come up with is that the TO trip was not in peak season.

So given the bizarre and unpredictable amount of taxes charged, $80 is within realm of reason.

The close in fee is $75 if you book within 21 days.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76

I double checked with 2 agents, and the only reason they can come up with is that the TO trip was not in peak season.

So given the bizarre and unpredictable amount of taxes charged, $80 is within realm of reason.

Flight is a month out, so shouldn't be close in fee. I'm Plat too so shouldn't be charged close in even if it was.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by 4jaded
Just finished booking a RTW adventure from MCO. The highlight stop is REP. Talk about sticker shock, I was able to score AA F to ORD and ORD HKG in Cathay F On return Cathay F HKG to CDG and then onto AA J to DFW and AA F back to MCO. No oneworld carrier would cough up a ticket to REP so I used United miles to fly HKG-ICN-REP-ICN_HKG in J on Asiana and Thai. Those short hops cost more Miles than any other segment by at least 10 grand in miles. I burned by UA miles up lately as they are becoming like Delta Sky Pesos. Oneworld is not perfect but at least they don't fleece you yet. Yes AA has long lost the 10 course transcon meal for now, but they still give folks that fly miles. buy miles, get gifted miles, or buy everything on CC's to get a fair shake. Better yet when we ..... enough they do listen to a point,
Why not fly all the way to/from BKK/SIN/KUL/etc on the same award(s) and then purchase a cheap r/t ticket to REP from there saving UA miles? Looking at a random date for KUL-REP I'm seeing $129 r/t
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76

The United States does not have departure taxes, and Hong Kong does. It's odd the agent didn't know that. You were charged correctly.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
The United States does not have departure taxes, and Hong Kong does. It's odd the agent didn't know that. You were charged correctly.
Ya, but I thought their departure taxes were about 30$.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by hiima
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Ya, but I thought their departure taxes were about 30$.
Actually, I understand that HKG has a security surcharge of about $5, which made the fare non-zero. That in turn triggers a bunch of US arrival fees to be charged for HKG-LAX.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by 4jaded

How far out are you booking?
How many people are flying?
Any issues with availability for Cathay Pacific F-class?
How many AA points did you end up spending, and cost? (I don't need to know the United points)

I'm asking because I'm starting to plan an MCO->HKG->BKK trip.

I'm hoping for a HKG layover of a few days, then on to BKK. I assume a few days in HKG isn't a big deal for these flights?

I'm also planning on going to REP, but will likely just buy a regional flight or take the bus.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:33 am

Thanks to all of you about the tax clarification!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Gold
The taxes on an F and J award MCI-PHX-LAX-HKG-CMB were $38.30 each. CX metal between LAX and CMB.

The taxes on the return using JL in F are $121.20 each for CMB-NRT-ORD-MCI.
I was told taxes and fees to enter the US are much higher for security costs.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
My advice: do not give up! I just called to reserve a dream reward trip and the first agent told me nope despite Award Nexus displaying my flights, I called back and now it seems I will be able to struck Petra off my bucket list thanks to an AMM-JFK-YVR award ticket.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by TravelMutt
How far out are you booking?
How many people are flying?
Any issues with availability for Cathay Pacific F-class?
How many AA points did you end up spending, and cost? (I don't need to know the United points)

I'm asking because I'm starting to plan an MCO->HKG->BKK trip.

I'm hoping for a HKG layover of a few days, then on to BKK. I assume a few days in HKG isn't a big deal for these flights?

I'm also planning on going to REP, but will likely just buy a regional flight or take the bus.
Lookup the mileage required at the AA website. Should be 55K for J and 67.5K for F each way. But be aware that if you break your journey in HKG for more than 24 hours then that will be considered a stop-over which are not permitted on AA awards... so you will incur an additional award for the HKG/BKK segment that would have been "free" if you did not stay in HKG.

DAK
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Is there a way to fly CX from HKG to CDG, LHR, etc (anywhere in Europe) back to BOS without making it two awards??
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Is there a way to fly CX from HKG to CDG, LHR, etc (anywhere in Europe) back to BOS without making it two awards??
No. You cannot do an Award from Asia 2 to North America via Europe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.