Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starbuk
Think of it this way: if it were easy, there would be fewer spots for those of us willing to "work" for the available spots!
Indeed!

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
It's entirely accurate, because it essentially scrapes whatever search engine you select (such as BA or JL). But you should manually build connections as domestic and international segments may not be available simultaneously. For example, I always book AA domestic segments to each of CX's gateways as soon as AA releases. I then marry these to CX segments as they become available, and subsequently cancel the domestic segments I don't need.
Interesting approach. But, does that not trigger any/multiple redeposit fees, upon cancellation and rebooking?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Valid route? 55k miles?

Assuming I can find availability, is the following route valid and would it really only cost 55k AA miles per person one-way in J?!

ILM-CLT-JFK-HKG-DPS
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by perkunas
Assuming I can find availability, is the following route valid and would it really only cost 55k AA miles per person one-way in J?!

ILM-CLT-JFK-HKG-DPS
The only question is whether CX publishes a fare from ILM-DPS. If not, you might have to start the redemption from CLT. But other than that (which I have no way to check), yes, it would be 55k; why are you skeptical?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by SJC AA
The only question is whether CX publishes a fare from ILM-DPS. If not, you might have to start the redemption from CLT. But other than that (which I have no way to check), yes, it would be 55k; why are you skeptical?
Doubtful all legs will be available simultaneously. Rarely do I get the DPS segment at the same time as long haul segment. So grab what you can and marry segments over time.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Doubtful all legs will be available simultaneously. Rarely do I get the DPS segment at the same time as long haul segment. So grab what you can and marry segments over time.
Agreed.

As noted in the wiki, availability for AA to book an award HKG-DPS could be delayed because of the international dateline so best advice is to put the CLT-JFK-HKG part on 5-day hold, and try back the next day to book the HKG-DPS leg to add to what's already on hold.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by perkunas

ILM-CLT-JFK-HKG-DPS
Despite the HKG-DPS leg is almost a 5 hours flight this is still considered as one single award. (you can also spent up to 24 hours, sorry 23h59 mns in HKG at no extra charge)
CX regional business class is very acceptable even for a 5 hours flight, much better than a regular domestic F.
You may be lucky and have a change of Equipment and have a LH intl bird with a real flat seat.
Never flew Dragonair, however it seems that the intl CX J is called F with dragonair ?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awards: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Bus Class) - questions, availability

Dragonair sells this route as 2-class J as well, on an A333. My understanding is that it's the same seat as CX regional J.

KA does have some 3-class birds with F as well, but not to DPS (unless a sub).
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:48 am

CX award availability using AA miles

using the BA search tool, I am able to see two J tickets available on March 19, 2016 on CX metal. However when calling the AA award desk they say those dates are not available for booking until April 23.

Does CX release award inventory earlier to BA? is there separate award inventory for partner airlines?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
You can only book 331 days out using AA whereas you can book 355 days out with BA. This is why you are seeing the award seats on BA, but you are >331 days out and hence can't book yet using AA.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...n-award-seats/
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:31 am

thanks and appreciate the link. definite disadvantage for AA usage vs those with Avios
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
CX award availability using AA miles

Definitely. At least your award will cost less using AA!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:03 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this thread to the AA board where it belongs.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by AirD0c
You can only book 331 days out using AA whereas you can book 355 days out with BA. This is why you are seeing the award seats on BA, but you are >331 days out and hence can't book yet using AA.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...n-award-seats/
I'm going to book CX F on 3/21 or 3/22 and been doing some dry run with 330 day out. Notice lack of F from HKG-NYC. Should I look at ORD? I live in Washington DC. What time I should call AA once 331 day hit (ex-HKG departure instead of usual 330 day)? Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS gold
CX F award seats are much more plentiful into ORD, but you still have to book them way in advance. The award will include a seat on a good 2 -3 hour connection on AA to a variety of Washington DC airports. Although the award will allow the AA segment to be in First, most of the available seats appear to be in coach. Bummer to end that way after the long int't flight in F.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: free agent
macfadsj yeah, once 330/331 day hit, i'll snatch HKG-ORD or NYC but be honest, it's only 1.25 hour flight ORD-DCA. Def a firstworldproblem situation, and will be nice if CX fly to IAD. My goal is experience F while burn AA miles much as I can.

Will let you guys know how it go!

Last edited by washeelers747; Apr 21, 2015 at 6:32 pm Reason: edit username

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.