Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by mzee10
Is JL..Japan? I'm new to this forum and still learning abbreviations
If it is, I have looked on their site and but it seems I can only look for roundtrip.
Yes JL is Japan Airlines. You have to enter a dummy return date (or a dummy outbound date). You will still be able to see availability for the one-way segment you are interested in even though you have to search for a round-trip.

DAK
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
Yes JL is Japan Airlines. You have to enter a dummy return date (or a dummy outbound date). You will still be able to see availability for the one-way segment you are interested in even though you have to search for a round-trip.

DAK
Got it. One last question! The miles needed for the award flight is usually for roundtrip...would I need to call to see how much it is for 1 way?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by mzee10
Got it. One last question! The miles needed for the award flight is usually for roundtrip...would I need to call to see how much it is for 1 way?
The miles listed at the JL web site are irrelevant, that is for JL members. For AAdvantage awards the miles required are listed as one-way because all AA awards now-a-days are one-way (so round trip is 2x the number of miles listed in the award table).

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...tner-chart.jsp

DAK
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
The miles listed at the JL web site are irrelevant, that is for JL members. For AAdvantage awards the miles required are listed as one-way because all AA awards now-a-days are one-way (so round trip is 2x the number of miles listed in the award table).

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...tner-chart.jsp

DAK
Ahhhh...the JL website was throwing me off. Thank you! I finally understand
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:52 pm

To mzee10 (and anyone else who is confused by the acronyms and codes used on FlyerTalk), check out the glossary.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda
73+ hours and my transpac J award with CX still shows as "On Request." Reservation agent insists everything is OK and that the ticket is in the processing queue for the rates desk, but that they're running quite behind.

I agree things are taking unusually long, but agent made it sound like it's par for the course now with partner airline bookings.
When is travel? I ticketed in December for July travel, took about 3 weeks. It's no big deal to be on request for 73 hrs unless you're flying in 80. Chill.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Ah thanks for award chart. Def overlook this one. Gotta take some time to get used to AA award chart which is wholly different than UA

Anyways, I'll remove Tokyo to HKG and figure out something later if AA charge me seperate ticket. However they haven't ticket mine for three days.. It's unusual.. I can call EXP agent tonight but thought liaison would able to finalize my tickets either today or yesterday? Thanks.
So what, in the end, was the result?? If members are going to post about problems, please let us know how they are or aren't resolved.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Travel was for year-end. In any case, reaching out to the Twitter team got my reservation ticketed pretty quickly.

I had other plans to finalize, but wanted to be absolutely sure my flights were solid hence the anxiety.

3 weeks to get ticketed? Unless you were mailing in a paper voucher that's just absurd.

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
When is travel? I ticketed in December for July travel, took about 3 weeks. It's no big deal to be on request for 73 hrs unless you're flying in 80. Chill.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by progapanda
Travel was for year-end. In any case, reaching out to the Twitter team got my reservation ticketed pretty quickly.

I had other plans to finalize, but wanted to be absolutely sure my flights were solid hence the anxiety.

3 weeks to get ticketed? Unless you were mailing in a paper voucher that's just absurd.
Let's be real here, even if you're ticketed, your ticket can be yanked out from under you.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I see that Boston now has non stop flights to Hong Kong on Cathay. I found 2 biz class seats available on the flight I want, but the incoming flight for me is 12 hours earlier. I don't have a problem with this (go into Boston and have a day in town) but will I be able to check my bags all the way through and not have to pick up in Boston?

Basically the itinerary would be an early morning flight to Boston, and then the Cathay Flight leaves technically the next day at 1:30am (which is obviously really that night). I know stopovers aren't allowed, and this isn't a stop over ... but it will be a big pain if I have to handle my big international bags during the 12 hours or so in Boston.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA/AA
If you are getting to BOS on AA , checking your luggage to your final destination should no problem. If you are on a separate ticket to BOS, bring a printout to show at your connection.

Last edited by Paiteaw; May 4, 2015 at 2:26 pm Reason: add info.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Thanks. I did some research and it seems there is a 12 hour baggage connection rule too, my connection is 11 hours and 59 minutes!! So I'm worried if a schedule change of a couple of minutes will make it a 12+ hour connection and I won't be able to check all the way through.

Connecting through New York has the opposite problem -- connections are 23 hours and 55 minutes. Which I'm guessing if I ticket and it goes above 24 hours the ticket would still be valid.. but maybe not? Argh! I can take the safe route and connect through Chicago with a 2 hour connection, but hate back tracking, even if its relatively minor on such a long flight. And this is in February, where 2 hours is not always safe when weather hits at home or any of these connection cities.

Decisions, decisions.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by pitflyer
Thanks. I did some research and it seems there is a 12 hour baggage connection rule too, my connection is 11 hours and 59 minutes!! So I'm worried if a schedule change of a couple of minutes will make it a 12+ hour connection and I won't be able to check all the way through.

Connecting through New York has the opposite problem -- connections are 23 hours and 55 minutes. Which I'm guessing if I ticket and it goes above 24 hours the ticket would still be valid.. but maybe not? Argh! I can take the safe route and connect through Chicago with a 2 hour connection, but hate back tracking, even if its relatively minor on such a long flight. And this is in February, where 2 hours is not always safe when weather hits at home or any of these connection cities.

Decisions, decisions.
For February travel through BOS/JFK/EWR/ORD you definitely want to bake in a longer connection time. This year was particularly bad for BOS and JFK, more than once the airports shutdown completely. CX canceled some (but not all) JFK flights on some days -- note they have to do this "in anticipation" because they don't want to send a aircraft on-its-way from HKG only to discover that JFK and maybe even some alternates are shut for weather.

But it is your domestic connecting flight that is more likely to be affected than the long-haul. Which ever you chose, I'd look for a 4+ hour layover. Two hours simply leaves no room for any delays. Or look at LAX/SFO/YVR.

DAK
Old May 6, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Anybody else notice that there's a lot less award availability. Ex lax anyway.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hiima
Anybody else notice that there's a lot less award availability. Ex lax anyway.
Certainly nothing scientific on my end, but I haven't noticed any difference. I've been able to find and book CX F tickets for the fall out of LAX, ORD, and JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.